Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Dexter Holland is one of the worst vocalists ever?

I love Dexter's singing voice, not because I think he's a great singer (he's better than me, but not that great), but just because I love the way his voice sounds for the songs they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I love Dexter's singing voice, not because I think he's a great singer (he's better than me, but not that great), but just because I love the way his voice sounds for the songs they make.
    I agree. Ozzy Ozzbourne fit Black Sabbath, James Hetfield fits Metallica, and Dexter fits the Offspring. Sometimes, the singer just needs the right band. Could you imagine Gavin Rossdale in another group? It'd suck. But Dex is just what the Offspring needs. Unlike the others I mentioned, though, Dexter would have a chance at winning a singing show.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

No, Dexter is not one of the worst vocalist ever. He is the best!!!

I envy Dexta for obvious reasons but proud to be a fan of the offspring. Holland's the heat! Gosh, I'm jealous. I love you! Call me crazy but I pretend to be the female version of our king?

2 members appreciate this post.

I think it's important to have a realistic understanding of the band members, and it's important not to idolize them*. Dexter is definitely a better singer than your average untrained guy, but he's not the best in the world. He's one of my personal favorites, but very far from the best. It upsets fans of other talented singers and band when you claim your favorite to be the best. I'm sure we could upset some Social Distortion fans pretty quick if we told them that Dexter was the best singer in all of punk rock.

*Of course though, Greg K is the greatest man currently on the earth. We shouldn't forget that.
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

1 members appreciate this post.

By "average untrained guy" do you mean only men who can attempt to carry a tune or do you mean all guys in general? If we are talking about the first one, I would have to disagree. He might sing better than my husband, who can carry a tune well enough, but he definitely doesn't sing better than randman21, whom I would consider your average, untrained guy. If we are talking about all guys in general, whether or not the potential to sing on key is there or not, training or no training, then that is hardly a shocker and would include the aforementioned husband.

Beyond that, I would imagine that Dexter himself has had quite a bit of training in the 20 years since Smash went platinum. Even if the goal wasn't to sing better, it would make since to get formal training to help make touring more doable and add a little longevity to his singing capabilities.

I have had quite a bit of formal vocal training, but I would never consider calling myself a 'trained' singer. That is a whole other beast of its own. If you look at rock'n'roll, hardly anyone in its history truly fits that category. Pat Benatar and Freddy Mercury are two that I can think of. Supposedly, Amy Lee of Evanescence is, but I've heard how she sounds live and am inclined to doubt that.

I know you weren't looking for this sort of commentary and I'm thinking too hard about it, but that's where my thoughts went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

*Of course though, Greg K is the greatest man currently on the earth. We shouldn't forget that.
    He's got a pretty good set of pipes, too. Most people don't pay much attention to how well Greg actually sings. He's almost always perfectly on key, with the exception of some occasional voice cracking in "Staring at the Sun." He harmonizes with both Noodles and Dexter spectacularly well. I especially like when Greg and Noodles sing backup in "Hammerhead" and when Greg and Dexter sing the chorus of "Genocide" and "Smash."
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 01-27-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    By "average untrained guy" do you mean only men who can attempt to carry a tune or do you mean all guys in general? If we are talking about the first one, I would have to disagree. He might sing better than my husband, who can carry a tune well enough, but he definitely doesn't sing better than randman21, whom I would consider your average, untrained guy. If we are talking about all guys in general, whether or not the potential to sing on key is there or not, training or no training, then that is hardly a shocker and would include the aforementioned husband.

Beyond that, I would imagine that Dexter himself has had quite a bit of training in the 20 years since Smash went platinum. Even if the goal wasn't to sing better, it would make since to get formal training to help make touring more doable and add a little longevity to his singing capabilities.

I have had quite a bit of formal vocal training, but I would never consider calling myself a 'trained' singer. That is a whole other beast of its own. If you look at rock'n'roll, hardly anyone in its history truly fits that category. Pat Benatar and Freddy Mercury are two that I can think of. Supposedly, Amy Lee of Evanescence is, but I've heard how she sounds live and am inclined to doubt that.

I know you weren't looking for this sort of commentary and I'm thinking too hard about it, but that's where my thoughts went.
    Nope, the commentary is appreciated. I get what you're saying, and have no choice but to agree. I was referring to the latter (all guys in general), and I see what you mean that we should expect Dexter to be a little better than average in that regard. If he wasn't a little better than all guys in general then I don't see why anyone would listen to him. Thanks for the reply and correction.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    Pat Benatar and Freddy Mercury are two that I can think of. Supposedly, Amy Lee of Evanescence is, but I've heard how she sounds live and am inclined to doubt that.

Amy Lee is awful live. I saw them at a festival in like 2003, when Bring Me to Life was huge, and it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen. She was too busy trying to be hardcore goth and spitting water all over the audience to bother trying to sing well. However, in trying to find an example on Youtube, she seems to sound pretty okay in the live videos.

Instead of Amy Lee, should be talking about Tarja Turunen of Nightwish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-Wyw9lYyM

Steven Page of the Barenaked Ladies is classically trained, as well, and has a beautiful voice (the ending of the song, his voice shines): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnWuh3w9lNo
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I think it's important to have a realistic understanding of the band members, and it's important not to idolize them*. Dexter is definitely a better singer than your average untrained guy, but he's not the best in the world. He's one of my personal favorites, but very far from the best. It upsets fans of other talented singers and band when you claim your favorite to be the best. I'm sure we could upset some Social Distortion fans pretty quick if we told them that Dexter was the best singer in all of punk rock.

THIS!
    I love Dexter's voice and that one of the main reasons why The Offspring is my favourite band. On the other side, I even like Social Distortion's guitar sounds but I can't stand the voice of the singer. But I don't think he's a bad singer. I can take Fat Mike's voice much better than the Social Distortion's vocalist but he's surely not a better singer.