Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter Holland is one of the worst vocalists ever?

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    Don't worry you'll stop thinking that some time around turning 16.
    hahahaha True indeed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3uC0jB_0g - This is a rare Offspring live video on HIT MACHINE 1999 - TKAA live. Check it Out

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    Don't worry you'll stop thinking that some time around turning 16.
    hahahaha True indeed

Quote Originally Posted by RonWelty View Post
    I'm with you. I don't know why but I love his "studio" voice. But he's crap live. We have to admit it. But he knows how to do music and has (had?) creativity.
    Unfortunately but yes.. Well Not that much crap, but he sounds way better in studio :/

Quote Originally Posted by Coral View Post
    figaro figaro figaro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fHCkgaP9XQ

better than pavarotti
    Hehe and to think that in a podcast - Dex and Noodles were laughing to Chad Kroeger's vocal warming up

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter_italy View Post
    I didn't read all the comments but it doesn't matter... I think Dexter skills live improved a lot. we really can't compare a 97 video with a 2011 one.
    His voice sounds more even, but he still has same mistakes. On the 3rd video listen to YGGFK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ebF9LTMTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng7m1-Ex4r0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDp6ER_YdqM

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Has Dexter ever had any professional training or lessons of any kind? He's pretty good for a guy who just picked up a mic, if that's the case.
    Yes indeed.

Ok so here's my opinion. Obviously the creator of the list is critisising ONLY singers style, than technique, and those things are different. When I saw M.J. on top of the list - I realised that list writer is not a reliable guy.. M.J. is the king of pop and one of the best voices in music history - weather he was kid or a grown man. The only singer who deserve to be on that list is:
    Duffy - I just hate that song of her, and that whiney disgusting nasal sound. And that's it! The rest of singers from list are - very distinctive, very good and very pleasable to listen to..

So as for Dexter Holland - I think he is kinda talent. Because there are 2 intresting things about him as a singer - He has a very distinctive, recognisable and UNIQUE sound, and - a very bad technique.
    I like thing about him that - he almost never used vibrato, unlike other singers, and I find that very original and cool. He has a very unique voice color when he sings high, and he sounds somehow - metallish. Not heavy metal kinda metallish, but a metal sounding voice is coming from his mouth. Very good. He has some kind of a small grid or distorsion in the voice, and that sounds great for that kinda style of music - punk rock. And because of that - I think he is the best voice of the punk rock because of his high range, no vibrato and distinctive voice quality. Ok he's been using vibrato on RAFRAG, but we all now how Dexter's voice sounds.
    Cons or flaws of his voice is - his technique. He's been yelling, and pulling the shit out of his chest voice for 25 years, and that's why - he still has all the same bad singing habits even today. And then they tune down guitars live for half step so he can pull it out. Ok it's still hard to sing his songs even in that way, and he does them 80% of his career - good, but songs lose energy, edge, and sometimes sound - boring. Also I think - somehow he writes songs in some very difficult singing melodies, you know - It just has to have at least some amount of straining in throat..
    But on the other side of that coin - He's talented because he's been screwing his vocal cord's for that long time and have not had any problems such as nodules, or any other vocal chord problem, and have never gone under surgery table, which is good. Also I think he never had any voice lesson, just picked up the mic, and still running. That's very impressive.
    But in the end - the only thing that gets screwed up here are - his songs, preformed live. And for that to be fixed Dex could have some singing lesson with the best vocal coach in the world , but it's just a matter of choice - do you want to be a better preformer and to give more passion to THE music; and to make you sound more like you, or just to do gigs - on the same way that a middle class worker goes everyday on his average payed job.
    To me - I'd be paying few lessons, because the main goal is not musician but - his songs, and his message to be interpreted live on the same way it has been done in the studio.. But it's Dexter's choice not mine
    Anyway - He's a very good vocalist, but I think he can be even more better, and mind-blowing live; on the same way he is in the studio.
    Last edited by offsrx; 12-14-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3uC0jB_0g - This is a rare Offspring live video on HIT MACHINE 1999 - TKAA live. Check it Out

It seems that somehow I managed to post double the same thing.. LOL
    Last edited by offsrx; 12-14-2011 at 05:49 PM.

1 members appreciate this post.

i actually wrote an article about how Dexter Holland should be considered one of the greatest rock stars of all time. the jist of it being, hes got the highest selling indie record of all time, brought punk to the mainstream,owns a record label, and a hot sauce company, is a pilot and flies to his own shows, and he runs marathons. pretty sure no other rock star does that, and its pretty badass.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMark View Post
    i actually wrote an article about how Dexter Holland should be considered one of the greatest rock stars of all time. the jist of it being, hes got the highest selling indie record of all time, brought punk to the mainstream,owns a record label, and a hot sauce company, is a pilot and flies to his own shows, and he runs marathons. pretty sure no other rock star does that, and its pretty badass.
    Where's that article?

1 members appreciate this post.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous threads I've read on these forums.

The Offspring doesn't make that kind of music. I always believed that The Offspring's music if purely for your enjoyment with - if you're interested in it - a message to spread.
    If I wanna go to a hot dog stand and eat a great hot dog, I would LOVE that hot dog. But it'd be pointless to compare it to 6-course meal in a 5-star restaurant where you eat with golden forks and knives. The hot dog isn't trying to be that meal, yet people LOVE that hot dog.

I'm not saying that The Offspring are the hot dogs of music, I'd consider them at least as a great schnitzel. But you get the point.

Dexter does what he does perfectly well. He's the singer of a rockband which is by far not the place you'd look to find perfectionism. Especially considering the punk influences.

That's how I look at it, and that's also why I actually would consider Dexter as one of the best vocalists. Fits the job perfectly.
    * !

Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    This has got to be one of the most ridiculous threads I've read on these forums.

The Offspring doesn't make that kind of music. I always believed that The Offspring's music if purely for your enjoyment with - if you're interested in it - a message to spread.
    If I wanna go to a hot dog stand and eat a great hot dog, I would LOVE that hot dog. But it'd be pointless to compare it to 6-course meal in a 5-star restaurant where you eat with golden forks and knives. The hot dog isn't trying to be that meal, yet people LOVE that hot dog.

I'm not saying that The Offspring are the hot dogs of music, I'd consider them at least as a great schnitzel. But you get the point.

Dexter does what he does perfectly well. He's the singer of a rockband which is by far not the place you'd look to find perfectionism. Especially considering the punk influences.

That's how I look at it, and that's also why I actually would consider Dexter as one of the best vocalists. Fits the job perfectly.
    Yes. I would agree. I love the Offspring more than Beethoven. Do I think that they are better? Definitely not. I just like them a lot more.

Just because you think he sings well or at least he fits the suit other people is wrong? I think he is a fucking bad singer and I feel ashamed when I say they're my favorite band and then some live video starts playing and its really really bad (mostly in recent songs).
    But that doesn't change that I still love their music and Dexter's voice. It also doesn't change that I don't need to be blind or deaf, in this case, even if I love them, and think he's a great vocalist. He isn't and more importantly He doesn't need to be for his audience and style, I'm okay with that. But I've no doubt that for 99,9% of the rest of the world it matters. I'm also positive that it hurts band image and marketability.
    I am not another The Offspring fan but just THE Offspring FAN !

Dexter Holland - "Which one of you goes by the screen name of RonWelty?"

I have to disagree. I will repeat this:
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    Agreed here. He's got creative talent, and he's good at writing some damn good energetic music with interesting lyrics. His voice suits the music, but he's definitely lacking live and sounds awful when his voice is bared in slower songs, like Kristy.
    and say that if punk music is hot dogs, punk singers like Greg Graffin and Tony Sly are the bratwurst with kraut and fresh mustard. The singer from Sum 41 is pretty good, too... but the fact is, most punk singers are actually able to sing live. I honestly was obsessed with the Offspring til I saw them live in 2003. Dexter's live abilities really disappointed me. I hunted for live videos where he was really on, but rarely succeeded. He's a good songwriter and a good lyricist, but I would definitely not call him a good vocalist.

He's a better vocalist than Johnny Rotten or Tom Delonge have ever been, so it wouldn't be fair to call him one of the worst, either. Those guys are a cold hotdog in a slightly-stale bun with nothing but ketchup.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    I have to disagree. I will repeat this:

and say that if punk music is hot dogs, punk singers like Greg Graffin and Tony Sly are the bratwurst with kraut and fresh mustard. The singer from Sum 41 is pretty good, too... but the fact is, most punk singers are actually able to sing live. I honestly was obsessed with the Offspring til I saw them live in 2003. Dexter's live abilities really disappointed me. I hunted for live videos where he was really on, but rarely succeeded. He's a good songwriter and a good lyricist, but I would definitely not call him a good vocalist.

He's a better vocalist than Johnny Rotten or Tom Delonge have ever been, so it wouldn't be fair to call him one of the worst, either. Those guys are a cold hotdog in a slightly-stale bun with nothing but ketchup.

Greg Graffin really? his voice is really low... I could sing br songs for hours without having any voice problem...Same goes for Billie joe for example... Tony sly and Bizzy are good singers can't say anithing on that. I think the only comparable singer for the range is Zoli who sings half step down too and live doesn't sound so good, I prefer Dexter. I'd really like to hear something upon this on the next podcast