Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter Holland is one of the worst vocalists ever?

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I saw this thread pop up and read when it was posted. I still have something to say about it. The people that say Dexter sucks at singing were probably only thinking about those times when he was either sick or fatigued from touring too much. He sings falsetto and at a very loud volume. It's extremely difficult to maintain those pitches at that volume for long stretches of time, and it's even harder to remain of key for any amount of time. The haters don't realize that and have obviously never tried it themselves. Dexter is a smoker and his voice hasn't suffered as much as other singers that smoke. So, he's doing something right.
    That NME idiot clearly hasn't heard the Offspring songs that haven't hit the radio. So much for an informed reporter or whatever he is. He should listen to "Fix You." Not one of my faves, but he'd have a new appreciation for Dexter's voice.
    First of all, Dexter does not sing falsetto... if you think he does, you clearly don't know what falsetto actually is. Singing high =/= falsetto, and it's also much easier than falsetto. Also, lol @ the idea of falsetto in punkish music

Second of all, he's a pretty bad singer, and I say that based on hundreds of live videos I've watched, plus the concert I went to. Dexter almost never sounds really "on" when singing live.

Third of all, Dexter's voice sounds good on record when he's yell-singing, but he sounds awful when he tries to sing low. He gets very nasally, doesn't sing from his diaphragm at ALL, and it's painful. I can't listen to songs like Kristy and Fix You, and that's a big reason for it. He has to yell-sing to make up for the fact that he's not a very good singer. PS: I've heard every Offspring song made.

If we're ONLY comparing him to other untrained singers who choose to smoke a lot despite their singing and choose to sing out of their range, then I guess he's okay. But that's a very small portion of singers that we're judging him against. In the grand scheme, he's a pretty bad singer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

2 members appreciate this post.

Dexter doesn't sing falsetto, he sings wrongetto, sometimes even forgetto.
    Do you think youd sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    First of all, Dexter does not sing falsetto... if you think he does, you clearly don't know what falsetto actually is. Singing high =/= falsetto, and it's also much easier than falsetto. Also, lol @ the idea of falsetto in punkish music

Second of all, he's a pretty bad singer, and I say that based on hundreds of live videos I've watched, plus the concert I went to. Dexter almost never sounds really "on" when singing live.

Third of all, Dexter's voice sounds good on record when he's yell-singing, but he sounds awful when he tries to sing low. He gets very nasally, doesn't sing from his diaphragm at ALL, and it's painful. I can't listen to songs like Kristy and Fix You, and that's a big reason for it. He has to yell-sing to make up for the fact that he's not a very good singer. PS: I've heard every Offspring song made.

If we're ONLY comparing him to other untrained singers who choose to smoke a lot despite their singing and choose to sing out of their range, then I guess he's okay. But that's a very small portion of singers that we're judging him against. In the grand scheme, he's a pretty bad singer.
    Years ago, someone told me that's what it's called when you sing that high. I never researched it. Oops, I misunderstood a definition. Big deal. Bottom line, I think he's got a great voice.
    Sign this petition Suzy made for me to get my interview with Greg K: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/873/7...ew-you-dammit/
    The Offspring UG interview me about said Greg K interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52j5kjyuug0
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Lol, just recently you were upset that people didn't just believe things you said because you'd heard them somewhere but couldn't remember where... and you expected people to just believe you. This might be a good example of why people shouldn't just blindly believe whatever you say.

Your post before read as though everyone should agree with you. "If they think he's a bad singer, they've obviously never tried it." False. I sing. "He should listen to Fix You and he'd have a new appreciation of the band." False. I've heard Fix You many times and it only slightly lowered my appreciation. Talk about your opinion as though it's your opinion, rather than as though everyone must agree or else they're an uninformed idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

1 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    damn this was fun!! ahahaha

That NME guy is obviously acting jealous and wishes he can have dexters voice. He couldn't back it up with saying something more original. So, I'm guessing his not a fan just a music journalist. Like someone has said: "the dudes got a unique voice!" (source YouTube) Reffering to dexters voice. He sounds nothing like any other singers outhere. (band wise)

I like Dexter's voice, so I don't care the idiot opinions.
    And, Who the fuck is Priya Elan...

Default Dexter Holland is one of the best vocalist in punkrock history! Sing at my wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by RonWelty View Post
    obviously the writer is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    Fuckin' Haha.

Epic shit!