Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People Pet Peeves

Default People Pet Peeves

So I am halfway in between social and antisocial. If somebody talks to me, I am more than happy to interact or hang out, but I don't really go out of my way to initiate contact with most people. Recently I have noticed a few specific types of people who really get on my nerves. (Aside from the usual hypocrites and attention whores*) Also, there are actually quite a few because I am in college with all sorts of crazies. I figured someone might agree or want to share their own though, so here goes.
    *I am aware that I was once an attention whore but that doesn't mean that I have to find it pleasant

So I get really annoyed by people who need to one-up everything. "Oh, you stayed up all night studying and you think you're tired? I had to stay up for 4 days studying and taking care of my 3 little brothers while my mom was at the hospital with my dying uncle" All while everyone around is thinking "Isn't that the same uncle who died two years ago? And I thought you only had 1 brother"

The next are people who feel the need to be the center of everything. If they do it every so often, fine, but don't do it constantly. This one actually happened.
    Me: Hey, you guys should come see the Christmas show I am in(said to a group of friends)
    Kev: Oh, here at school?
    Me: No, at the local theater. Mike is in it too.
    L: As in, my best friend Mike?
    Me: I don't know. Is Mike [last name withheld] your best friend?
    L: Yeah
    Me: Then yes, your best friend Mike.
    L: Why are you even talking to him?!
    Nat: Oh, cool. I didn't know you did theater.
    L: Ummm, hello! I am a theater major. Why are you even talking to her about it?
    Like seriously? We are a little local theater and I was asked to spread the word at school by the directors. Calm yourself.

I also get annoyed by stoners and I don't mean people who smoke pot. I mean people who feel the need to loudly talk about how "Mad high" they were last night every single day. I don't care about your trip or how good the Molly was. This is the library. Maybe you should actually study or go somewhere else. I find this super immature and along those same lines of immaturity, I hate when people can't take things seriously. Yeah, innuendo can be funny but really? You are 20 and 30 something year-olds in a college level biology class. Laughing at the word "testicles" is not necessary and it is really annoying.

Only two more... these ones are my least favorite and the next one requires some background info.

So this summer I was in a biotech(I'm a biotech major, currently) class and we did agarose gel electrophoresis 4 times, once in a DNA fingerprinting lab. The last biology lab was based around biotechnology and molecular biology so we did the same DNA lab. I got stuck with a know-it-all partner who didn't know much at all. I don't claim to be an expert, but I had prior experience. And basically, I dislike people who act like my lab partner, whom I will call "H"
    Me: *Starting to pipette DNA into first well*
    H: You're doing it wrong.
    Me: No, I'm not.
    H: Yes you are. I've seen this done before.
    Me: I've done it before.
    H: So you think you're better than me?
    Me: I never said that. You can do the second one.
    H: Why do you get to do the first?
    Me: You got here late and missed the instructions. *Trying to do it again while H blocks the light*
    H: *Grabs my arm stabbing a hole in the gel* Look what you did! Let me do it.
    So I let her do it once we got a new gel...
    The gel didn't run properly and she blamed it on me even though I hadn't done it.

And the last one. This one only applies to people around my age group. And it is Beatles fanatics. Let me explain. I love the Beatles. My dad listens to them a lot. But the fanatics(at least that I am around) only know like 10 songs by them and they always say stuff like "I was born in the wrong generation" while listening to One Direction. Not only that but I have actually heard some people say "I won't listen to any old artists unless it is on vinyl" It just seems like they have a mindset like "I like the Beatles. I have culture and I am better than you"
    It really annoys me.

Sorry for the rant. I felt like I am not the only one who feels like this. Are any of you guys annoyed by these types of people? What are your people pet peeves?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    Reading this thread made me throw up.
    Because I'm already sick and the color scheme must have set me off. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Also, sometimes I'm not sober. Sometimes I make threads when I'm not sober.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    You're too late. I've already infiltrated the Offspring forums. Next, it's the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Cranking it into a red solo cup while watching 40 year old re-runs of I Dream of Jeanie all the while snorting black pepper and knocking back shots of Jack.

I agree on the one-upping being really grating.

As far as other pet peeves are concerned... people who complain about the old same stuff over and over and over again.

I guess there are others, but my mind has gone blank for some reason.

1 members appreciate this post.

I agree also with one-uppers. Like, shut the fuck up.

Also, people who lie.
    Seriously, my friends' next door neighbour popped into their house telling them her name was Chloe and she was a shamen and had gotten rid of the spirits who were in my friends' place.
    Turned out it was a girl I used to be friends with who was not called Chloe. And she's a hairdresser, not a shamen. And the reason I don't hang out with her anymore is because she constantly told lies.

Kind of funny really.

That girl sounds like a compulsive liar that needs to see a psychologist or something.

I can't stand when people stop and stand in doorways or on stairs.

I hate when I make plans with people and they on me at the last minute.
    I hate when I text my guy and he doesn't reply to me for 2 or 3 hours when I try to make plans with him
    Like everyone I hate being lied to
    I hate people who drive way too fucking slow

I too hate people who always try to one-up you but, obviously, I hate it waaaay more than the rest of you. Like seriously, you guys.

People who lie is a really good one. For me, anyway. I put a lot of value on the truth, and just being able to safely assume the person you are talking to is not actively trying to deceive or manipulate you. Fuck me, liars are exhausting wastes of space.

The whole sort of "I only listen to vinyl" hipster thing doesn't bother me I think because I'm fairly hipsterish in my own ways myself. And it can be fun to make fun of what other people like and be snobbish. Don't look at me like that, it's true! I'm pretty harsh on people who watch a lot of reality tv, for example. But ultimately I've tempered this cultural elitism over the years with what I (perhaps arrogantly) believe to be a decent dollop of wisdom. Some people really are better than others, but your preferred forms of entertainment don't come into it. Nor does intelligence. Empathy, generosity of spirit, kindness...these are the only sort of qualities on which one human being should judge another. Just my opinion, of course. So I'll still rip on people who watch the "wrong" kind of shows or listen to the "wrong" music, but I do it with my tongue firmly in cheek. Because I'm only better than you if you're an asshole.

Oh, and "she's a hairdresser, not a shaman" is going to be the best thing I hear all week. I'm calling it now.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

As annoyed as I get with liars, I realize those pathological liars like the hairdressing shaman have a serious condition, and I've learned to roll with it rather than get upset. When I find one of these people, I usually just like to play along and act interested, asking questions about what they're talking about. It's easier than getting upset and hating them. They're probably not going to change without the help of some serious counseling and meds, and after five minutes, no semi-reasonably intelligent person is going to believe them, so I can turn it all into good fun. However, the un-patholigical liars - the ones who pick and choose when they lie to gain something - those people are the absolute worst.

My pet peeves are bullies and people who take their food out of the microwave early and then don't clear it. So when I walk by and glance to see the time, I see :07. I know it's not :07 o'clock, why are you fucking doing this to me?

Cassidy, it only gets worse sweetheart. But, you'll just have to grow some thick skin / coping skills. And when you do that, then let me know! Haha!

Anyways, don't get me started complaining.... but here's a list!

1. I hate it when people smack or pop their gum in really quiet places
    2. I hate it when people eat with their mouth open, slurp drinks/soup, or make tongue/clicking noises on the back of their front top teeth after every time they take a bite of food
    3. I hate it when people have a drink of soda, and go AWWEEEEE!
    4. I hate it when ladies have a sharp 'whistle' when pronouncing words that have an "s" in them, and they sound like a damn tea kettle or a snake! ewwwww! this one really hurts my ears!
    5. Sorry, but I really can't stand flaming gays who go ALL OUT with their effemine voice just to get on your nerves (you know they're doing it on purpose!)
    6. I hate it when people ask you a question and then you're answering, and then they interrupt and don't let you finish giving your answer! Aaaghhh!
    7. I hate it when people at work click their mouse constantly and there's no other background noise to cover it up. Fortunately, the desk arrangement at my work is all different / better now and I don't have to put up with this one! There is a God!
    8. I hate it when guys chase me online and get serious whilst NEVER telling me who they are!
    9. I hate it when guys go to the restroom every hour on the hour and you can hear it! ewwwww. It's like, what is the size of your bladder? the size of a lemon? And have you ever heard of peeing on the side of the bowl so that it doesn't make so much damn noise? (Disgusting!)
    10. And I really don't like straight guys with a lisp! For example, Anthony Kiedis. OMG! I am sooooo glad I'm over him, like I could never live with that off-putting lisp!

Okay, rant over. You may notice that most of these items have to do with sounds. Yep, that's right, I have super-sensitive hearing. That said, if I complement you on your voice, then you've gotten yourself a complement indeed! My sweetie man-child has the most PERFECT voice and he speaks the most PERFECT GRAMMAR that you've ever heard! It is like music to my ears! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! there is a God!
    Last edited by For Real; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:13 PM.
    The g Factor is to be God-smacked...

One that really gets to me is when people act like I'm in their way, but I'm not. Like if I'm in the same aisle at a store, and I'm just standing off to the side and someone wants to get by me. They could just walk past me without even altering their path, but instead they look at me and wait, maybe tap their foot impatiently like they're waiting for me to move. JUST WALK THE FUCK BY ME.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

2 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by For Real View Post
    You may notice that most of these items have to do with sounds. Yep, that's right, I have super-sensitive hearing. That said, if I complement you on your voice, then you've gotten yourself a complement indeed! My sweetie man-child has the most PERFECT voice and he speaks the most PERFECT GRAMMAR that you've ever heard! It is like music to my ears! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! there is a God!

Perhaps you have misophonia? I wouldn't be surprised if I do. If I hear people eating it drives me insane. I really think I'm going to stab someone some day.

One thing I forgot to add last time, is people who are constantly checking their phones while in others' company. Some of my friends are always checking facebook and other sites, in case, god forbid, they miss some update on fucking Kim Kardashian or some other pleb. It's one of the rudest behaviours I have come across. And it's impossible to converse with these people as they only half listen to you. It even annoys me when we're watching a film and no conversation is necessarily involved.

I've started taking measures against this when there's a large group - making everyone put their phone in a saucepan for the night. And then everyone gets in a fucking huff because they don't have their phones and can't trawl through some shit about the '54 worst eyebrows of 2014'. CHRIST, I FUCKING HATE IT. It's like these people have lost the ability to properly communicate with real life people, and an only do it through social media. ARGHH. Sometimes I actually wish for the apocalypse.