Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens (teaser trailer)

Default Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens (teaser trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww

The Jedi bestow upon us the true nature of the Force...or something. *Professor Frink sounds*

Not quite sure what to make of this. Glad they're saving the original characters for later on, and keeping a lot of the plot vague, doesn't reveal too much too early. And it's structured really well. But there's some gimmicky stuff (broadsword lightsaber? Unnecessary and pretty "eehh"...), too, and it's interesting how digital the movie's looking, given how much in the way of practical sets and props they were using with filming it.

Love that crazily-weird new little droid, seems sort of R2-ish but fresh and new and creative, too. The new upgraded/updated Stormtrooper designs look awesome (though I still hope the original look still exists too, like there are maybe lower-ranked guys with the original older look, supplemented by the new ones), it's so cool seeing TIES and X-Wings again after all this time. Daisy Ridley looks a lot of fun as the main hero, and it's awesome to have John Boyega confirmed as playing some Stormtrooper gone rogue (in the new armor, too, by the looks!). And Oscar Isaac is a rebel pilot, huh? Cool. Don't know what sort of role I thought he might be playing, but it wasn't a Rogue Squadron pilot. And he just got the Apocalypse role in the new X-Men flick too, guy's going places.

That desert planet definitely isn't Tatooine, either. Pretty cool new locale, mix it up a bit. Feels fresh enough to not feel like "just another desert environment", too.

The music confuses me a bit, there's the awesome one-note opening part from William's original score, and obviously the big brass fanfare at the end of the trailer, but the rest of the music sounds like Michael Giacchino to me. Like when Boyega stands up into the shot in the desert and the music blares, that's really Giacchino. Maybe J.J. got him to compose some filler for the advertising or something, I doubt Williams is too far into writing the score for this just yet.

I guess my perceived reservations watching this for a first time are the same things I was concerned about when they hired J.J., and at least from this so far it seems accurate. It looks and feels really "J.J. Abrams". Which normally wouldn't be a bad thing, as I love the guy's work, but it just seems sort of jarring. The way the shots are composed (that swirling shot at the end with the Falcon, camera moving around, that's totally "J.J.", and not very "Star Wars"), the sort of blue hue to all of the non-desert stuff, it all looks kind of...slick, and tech-y or whatever, lacking a lot of the fairytale vibe.

And the voiceover: what the hell?! Is that Cumberbatch? Or a strangely uncanny soundalike? Again, love him as an actor, but I was really glad when it seemed both he and Abrams said he wasn't going to be in the movie. Could totally be someone else, though, if it's the Inquisitor or not, I have no idea who's playing that role.

The effects on the lightsaber look pretty different, too, a weird choice to change something that iconic. It sort of crackles and sparks more, and seems kinda thinner and less "glow-y".

On the whole it's a really cool hype-builder for the series going forward, I just really hope Abrams can dial back the Star Trek-ish stuff, love his Star Trek movies (well, the first one anyway), but this needs to be as far away from that as humanly possible, differentiate it. Visually this already stands out a lot from the established style of the original three, more in common with his own movies than Star Wars, and that's a bit disappointing.

Interesting, anyway. Could have maybe used a brief little Luke shot at the end if just for the "HOLY CRAP!" iconography, but it works well as a teaser.

*More Frink-ish "hoiven-groivens"*

1 members appreciate this post.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAY!

That is all.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Awesome. Can't wait.
    Turn the lights on.

Whoa, looks like the voiceover is Andy Serkis.

It was known he was in the movie, but not in what capacity (live-action role, like he has in Avengers, or more motion-capture of a digital character or whatever). Could he be playing The Inquisitor (ostensibly the guy we see in the cloak with the saber)? Or maybe some smaller-but-pivotal in-the-shadows Emperor puppet-master type of role?

Pretty cool either way, both "It's not fuckin' Cumberbatch!" and that Serkis is some Dark Side guy. Probably an actual physical role too, like Avengers, which is a cool turn of events. Hell of an actor.

Also some article just said the whole Empire/Rebels thing is more of a cold war type of thing in these sequels. Awesome way to go. So like, the Empire's had the head of the snake cut off after Palpatine/Vader are gone, but there are all these ambitious factions trying to seize power and it's stayed around for 30 years, still marching on. With the Rebels becoming less "rebels" and more the official sovereign government like the Republic was, so there are these two conflicting equally-powerful superpowers.

Hell of a way to add a different dynamic to these three, if 4-6 were WWII this seems like 60s U.S./Soviet inspired.

53 seconds in.

Look familiar???

PS. I know, I know... I'm sexy

Pretty clearly fan-made, but yeah, there are some pretty exciting shots in that.

To be honest, the only thing that excited me was the fact that the Skellig islands were in it. Otherwise, I've little interest!

Eskimo, I disagreed with literally everything you said in the original post.

The first thing I noticed was the use of practical effects with that little droid. CGI should be used when only when practical effects can't effectively show what they want to show, and that's what he did in the trailer.

I highly doubt they'll keep the original stormtrooper look because they are likely working for an entirely new regime with the collapse of the Galactic Empire.

I would bet you $1000 that desert planet is Tatooine.

The music was most likely spliced and edited for the sake of the trailer. John Williams has an extremely particular way of writing and arranging (literally formulaic with a lot of what he does) and I can't imagine him straying from that formula. I love his music, btw, but he is very particular about what he does.

And I'm so glad J.J. Abrams is doing Star Wars instead of Star Trek because he seemed to kinda miss the point with Star Trek. Trek isn't about big explosions and fight scenes, but rather the protagonists thinking their way through their problems. Star Wars, on the other hand, is all about lasers and fancy visuals, which is what he did with his two Trek films. It looks to me like he's capturing the vibe from the original films instead of the prequel trilogy, which is why I'm most excited for this film.

There are still circulating rumors that Cumberbatch will be playing a role in the film, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I also have no idea what you are talking about with The Inquisitor. There was a rumor that The Inquisitor, who is the villain in Star Wars Rebels (which takes place decades before Episode 7) might have a connection to the new villain, but I highly highly doubt that the alleged villain we saw in the trailer would be The Inquisitor himself.

The look of the lightsabers have changed with literally every movie thus far. This is the most dramatic change since IV-V, but the look of them has been different with every episode. In the original 1977 film, Luke's lightsaber was actually white, and not blue.

So yeah, sorry for nerding out there, but Star Wars is something I take probably way more seriously than I should, and I felt it necessary to say my piece here.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

I have nothing to add but I would like to say I have enjoyed every post in this thread.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Thomas, come on dude.

They obviously used a lot of practical stuff on-set which I love, but a lot of this trailer has that slick digital look, same as his Star Trek stuff. Which is fine, I'm not against them using modern technology (hell, the prequels did, and Star Wars has always been on the cutting edge of new ILM stuff), but you have to admit it's a little jarring.

I'm not even 100% sure that new beep-beep droid is all practical, the rolling part seems a little enhanced or whatever.

The desert environment is all real, as are the big structures in the background as they were on-set. But all of those X-Wings are CG, the water and the whole background is digital like the prequels, that snow environment has a clean digital sheen to it (I'm sure it's on location, but the lighting and stuff is all altered). The Falcon's fuckin' CG, along with the ties. It's fine, it looks good, but it's all stuff you could have done with models to make it blend better. I mean, Return of the Jedi looks fuckin' amazing, even now.

More than the computer reliance though, it's the cinematography that's getting to me a bit. A lot of close-up shots that the original three didn't really have, there's that swirling shot with the Falcon which seems a big excessive and J.J.-esque. He's dialed back the lens flare stuff thankfully, but there's still some of that Trek look to the Stormtroopers-in-the-transport shot.

As for the less-visual parts of the concern, I love me some J.J. But, he's never really done a "big operatic Good V.S. Bad fairy-tale" thing before. All of his stuff is very slick, ultra-modern, clean, science-y. Which is fine, it works for everything he's ever done. But Star Wars isn't that. Star Wars is Buck Rogers meets Flash Gordon meets King Arthur meets Seven Samurai meets fuckin' WWII. And that might have been better served hiring someone like, say, Joe Johnston or Brad Bird or someone who does retro-fairy-tale to a tee (hell, Johnston even designed like 50% of the original three movies and Indiana Jones). Abrams will do fine, but it's not his natural "mode", and he's going to have to sort of adapt, be careful to make it more "Star Wars" than inject himself too much into it. Plotwise I have no concerns, sure it'll be great. Lawrence Kasdan wrote it (Raiders, Empire, Jedi), and he's so much better than the people Abrams usually works with in the writing room. Aesthetically, though, J.J. needs to tone down the "J.J." a bit to make it flow better with what's come before.

To your other points:

The reports from people on set have said it's not Tatooine. I wasn't sure I bought that, as it seems weird to have another so-similar environment, but after the trailer hit I'm putting more stock in it. It definitely has a different vibe to it.

I really doubt Cumberbatch is in it, though he's never really confirmed or denied anything, keeping vague. Pegg's in it though, but he says he's not showing his face. He'll probably be some British C-3PO-esque droid voiceover, or alien or something.

The sabers haven't really changed dramatically. Obviously the look's upgraded from A New Hope to Empire, and they started using CG with EpI, but it's all been the same basic design. Fat saber, white part in the middle, glowing colored part around it. And sort of a stable beam of light. This new one, while I'm sure it's still gonna be a regular ol' lightsaber and not some new weapon, it's definitely a different design for it. Crackles and sparks more, less of a white part, thinner and longer red part. No biggie, it's just weird to mix up something so iconic and familiar for the hell of it.

I really don't know about the Inquisitor stuff, I may be totally wrong on that part. But weren't the reports coming out with the concept art asserting that the "hands-on" (probably not overall master) bad guy in this is called The Inquisitor too? They were sort of implying that it's maybe a "group", who all use the moniker. Not quite Sith, but like dark-side occultists/Empire fanatics, whatever. And that would make total sense, given Rebels is the first entry in Disney's continuity, it could be a slow-burn to introduce that basic concept. Like the guy in Rebels is part of the same faction of villains, just sort of an early foreshadowing, a guy 30 years prior in the continuity before the shit hits the fan in these sequels with "his people". All speculation, but I do remember the various news sites running with the name "Inquisitor" when all the concept art leaked out of Lucasfilm.
    Last edited by Eskimo; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:49 PM.