Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie i saw pt2

Yeah, The Guard was fine. Or rather pretty good, but I missed something. I agree about Gleeson.

I think that 'War Horse' is not the best title.

But speaking of animals involved into a war, I saw this documentary a while ago, it's called Wojtek: The Bear That Went to War. It tells the unbelievable, surreal but true story of Wojtek, solider bear. He was even a corporal. A bear. I think that story would change my attitude towards history class entirely if I had heard it back then.
    Kind of boring documentary, though it contains some breathtaking materials and relations. Like the solider that is playing with that bear, its kind of wrestling what they're doing. Pretty unique. So I'd rather recommend to check the story than the movie. It's awesome.

Some more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(soldier_bear)

The Thing [1982] - holds the test of time just fine, young Mr Russell's face could've used a bit less of make up though.
    The Thing [2011] - not nearly as bad as people make it to be, infact, it's one of the most connected sequels I've seen, the only thing that I didn't quite like was that they made the thing being capable of perfectly imitating, which is thinking and speaking like a human - in the '82 movie it wasn't as nearly "fluent".

EDIT: My bad, totally forgot about one guy, who was a total human until turned out he was the thing, so scratch the last part of what I wrote.
    Last edited by Free?; 01-29-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

Haywire 3/10

Cowboys and Aliens 7/10

It was alright. Not much to really hate. I was kinda bored during the first half, but it picked up.

The last movie I watched was Johnny English Reborn it was a best comedy movie and Rowan Atkinson was back in action.

Another Monty Python: The life of Brian

I've watched this over and over again - awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
    This is how you learn Latin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb2OdQksMc
    Last edited by samseby; 01-26-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Drive
    My god this movie was good. The soundtrack was just sublime.

Ides of March
    Loved this one too. I think i may be developing a bit of a man-crush on Gosling. Clooney's becoming a pretty solid director too, the last scene in particular was fantastically handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Coriolanus is pretty fucking awesome, you'll be surprised at first, though. Gerard Butler wasn't too good in it, I'm afraid I think so because I've been checking him out quite intensely over past few years and he was an exact typical himself in Coriolanus as you'd expect him to be, which was kind of a bummer for me. Fiennes did a great job (not talking only about acting).

Blindness was good.
    Last edited by Free?; 01-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

Zodiac - 7.5/10. It was good. Not great for me, but good. Enjoyable and the characterization and acting would have kept you fully in it for the full term if not for some strange pacing before the third act. It throws the entire primary elements that had until then been in focus into a sort of resolution-aimed maelstrom which, after righting itself from the desperate tailspin everyone had fallen into, it swings for the gates for the end of the movie a little too neatly for me. I feel like it deserves an eight, but there was just... something that didn't work for me, and it irks me that I can't figure out what.

Blade Runner - 7.8/10. You have to accept Blade Runner for exactly what it is, with the questions that the Replicants' actions ask about human nature and memories. I think that, even more than its effects, cinematography, or acting, it's the ambiguity of the movie that hasn't let it age as gracefully as one would wish. It asks a lot of questions, but you have to accept that the point of the film isn't to answer them. Like all good sci-fi. And, to be honest, it is good Sci-Fi, shot in a great yet dense neo-noir style.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Aliens - 8.3/10

Perhaps the most enjoyable of the three movies I've posted, but it's interesting how much looser previous decades have seemed to be with regards to popular filmmaking, because there are themes in this movie that I just can't imagine in a blockbuster made within the last five years.

There's a moment - and, don't get the wrong, the entirety of the last forty-five minutes of this movie is truly phenomenal [after two hours which, it hasto be said, set the tone for the finale perfectly], and Sigourney Weaver brings that shit HOME, but that tense moment in the egg sac room.... two mother figures of different species, brought suddenly together by the instinct to protect and preserve. It's a great scene, where the sentinel aliens retreat slowly, unwillingly into the nest's confines, their instinct to protect the queen overwhelmed by the queen's own instinct to protect her young, while Ellen Ripley has one hand on her flamethrower and her other arm is thrown back, trying to hide Newt completely with her body... it's a great scene, and if you buy into it, I truly don't think the movie has aged much at all.

I quantify the whole thing with 'if you buy into it' because, of course, that tends to be a general benchmark for whether people are going to enjoy movies in general, and yet most people find it hard to admit. It's all about genres, or styles, or scripts, or directors for so many people, and yet more than anything it should really be about buying into certain premises. I feel like fans of TV shows get this more than others - the budget restricts the possibilities for the most part, and so a certain level of acceptance is necessary. And so it should be.

In conclusion, Aliens is great. By which I mean pretty damn good, even after all this time.
    Last edited by T-6005; 01-31-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.