Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie i saw pt2

I love dystopians, but I'm disappointed when competent people make subpar films. Elysium was great, until they stopped showing the universe and focused instead on their "plot."
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I love dystopians, but I'm disappointed when competent people make subpar films. Elysium was great, until they stopped showing the universe and focused instead on their "plot."
    Per, come on! Elysium was terrible except for Sharlto Copley being awesome and threatening to punch children.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

His character had one trait: psychopathy. Like the opposite of Wikus who was one of the most nuanced characters in recent sci-fi. Copley's psychopath for psychopathy's sake was a complete letdown.

But yeah the couple times I laughed, it was because of his character. He played a one-dimensional character for all its worth.

I went to see The Heat, with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy... I wasn't sure about it but it was surprisingly really good and very funny. It's basically taking all the clichés of a police movie and make fun of them. But it's 2 women and somehow, that makes it even better.

You guys should watch it. Just for the laughs.

I had such a good time that I give it a 8/10.
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 08-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Sharlto's always awesome, but Elysium was such a step down from District 9.

Watched The Rocketeer for the first time in years the other night. Goddamn it's cheesy, earnest perfection. I wish Marvel hadn't kind of imposed all the Cosmic Cube and laser-Nazis stuff and let Johnston make Captain America more like Rocketeer. It's just as awesome now as it was as a 6 year old. Billy Campbell and Jennifer Connelly rock it so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I went to see The Heat, with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy... I wasn't sure about it but it was surprisingly really good and very funny. It's basically taking all the clichés of a police movie and make fun of them. But it's 2 women and somehow, that makes it even better.

You guys should watch it. Just for the laughs.

I had such a good time that I give it a 8/10.
    The trailer for The Heat came on before Elysium. At first I wanted to hate it because it looked like the tackiest trailer ever, voice-over guy over explaining the plot, all it lacked was a record scratch. By the end of the trailer I was laughing out loud.

Also featured was the trailer to Paranoia, which looked awful and did not win me over.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Billy Campbell and Jennifer Connelly rock it so bad.
    Don't you mean rocket so bad?

I need to watch that movie again. I loved it as a kid.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Bwaha. Nicely done, sir.

Yeah, it's cheesy as hell, and in a completely fucking good way. Total antithesis to all the edgy, cynical comic stuff that's around nowadays. Granted, Captain America had all that going for it too, just a shame they couldn't go with, you know actual Nazi badguys and such. Really pussed out on Red Skull/Hydra in the movie, a shame too since all the Allied stuff was awesome.

Haha, Dalton's friggin' rad in Rocketeer too. Why the hell does he even have a German accent toward the end when he's been speaking perfect Brit-English the entire movie? Hilarious. "SCHNELL!"

But yeah, just the whole vibe of the movie is awesome. Back to the Future meets old 30s/40s serial in tone, crazily great music score, all the accuracy of the cars and planes and shit, too damn cool.
    Last edited by Eskimo; 09-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.

The Place Beyond The Pines 5/10. I thought it was going to be really good, but it ok. Started off interesting but then it so slow and everything dragged on. Towards the ending it got decent again. I don't know maybe its one of those movies that I have to watch again to get it. Overall I wasn't a fan.

Wrote this on my phone, please forgive the typos.

I just saw Oblivion.

It has a couple flaws, but overall its really really good. Its visualky very interesting. The story is way more interesting than I was led to believe. I want to watch it again, its the kind of sci-fi where the acting and dialogue can be viewed very differently on a first and second viewing.

I really really enjoyed this movie. Its what Elysium should've been.

Unrelated, but a friend of mine started saying that Elysium could at least be applauded for its visuals. To illustrate that good visuals are no excuse, and certsinly not a saving grace, I showed him a few Star Trek: Voyager episodes to illustrate how good sci-fi can be, with much fewer means. Here are the episodes I showed him; if you have an interest in good sci fi stories, these are the episodes you need to see (except Tuvix, more on that.)

Critical Care - Obvious choice, its the same metaphor as Elysium. Haves vs Have-nots; access to health care extra. The difference is that in 45 min there is more character development, better plot, more interesting plot twists. At one point you feel the abdolute dread that the Doctor does. You won't feel anything during Elysium.

A Blink of an Eye - My favorite probably. Voyager gets stuck in orbit around a planet where time moves much faster. Like 8 minutes on Voyager is 2 years on the planet. The episode starts during this planet's stone age, and goes on from there. Its so good.

Timeless - The Doctor awakens in an alien museum 700 years in the future, where based on scant evidenve they have drawn some bizarre conclusions on historical Voyager. I don't know what it is about guys getting older, but we all get pretty weepy. The last two lines of this episode triggered some serious dust allergies for my friend and I.

Year In Hell part I and II - A super weapon that erases things from time? Kurtwood Smith chewing scenery? Amazing!

Timeless - 15 years later, Kim and Chakotay return to a crashed Voyager in order to fix a mistake in the past.

Tuvix - Tuvok and Neelix are combined in a transporter accident giving the guest actor of the week ample opportunity to o eract.

Other than Tuvix, each of these episodes blew my friend's mind. If you got time, and enjoy a good sci-fi story told well, check these out.
    Last edited by wheelchairman; 09-06-2013 at 12:27 AM.