Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie i saw pt2

I've actually been re-watching quite a lot of Voyager while playing Minecraft. I wanted to have something on while I played and randomly picked TNG. Unfortunately it would appear that TNG bores me these days, so I moved on to Voyager. And what do you know, Voyager is a lot better than I remembered.

I have not rewatched any of the episodes you just mentioned but I vaguely remember them all as being particularly good.

Last movie I watched was The Hunter with Willem Dafoe. A bit dry but quite enjoyable. I was hoping for a more explosive ending though.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Yeah, Oblivion's really solid. Tron 2 was visually fucking stunning and had great audio, but Kosinski actually stepped out of his "visual effects guy background" vibe with his second movie and made it pretty memorable and less shallow. It's not amazing or anything, but it's cool to see one of these CG-artist guys actually developing beyond just pretty renders.

Event Horizon was on the other night, watched it for the hell of it. Paul Anderson fucking sucks as a director, but I've always loved that flick, easily his best movie, Alien rip-off or no. The first Mortal Kombat movie's enjoyable for what it is, a shitty movie but a pretty surprisingly okay adaptation of the games, but Event Horizon is an actual good B-movie. How he went from that to all the Resident Evil shit I don't know. Still more or less enjoy his first two big flicks.
    Last edited by Eskimo; 09-07-2013 at 02:31 AM.

1 members appreciate this post.

Don't forget how he ruined the potential of AvP too. Between that and Resident Evil I basically hate the guy. If there's a hell, Paul W S Anderson and Uwe Boll will have to watch each others movies for all eternity.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Watched that Clear History movie with Larry David today. It was pretty fucking funny. I always think, how can anyone be this shitty in real life, and then I think, oh yea almost everyone on the planet can be this shitty sometimes.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

I don't know if I'd put Anderson quite in the Uwe Boll category. The RE movies all blow, and yeah, AVP sucked (both his and the other one), but I always hated the whole Predator & Alien combo anyway, the little reference in Predator 2 was cool, but always felt to me just to be a "we're made by the same studio, fuck it, it'll be funny and something for people to point out". Even the comics were ass.

Mortal Kombat was obviously totally neutered and acceptable to soccer moms, and all the actors suck aside from I guess the guy playing Liu Kang doing a decent enough job, and obviously Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa always kicks ass in anything. Cheeseball awesomeness. But it's okay in terms of, you know, not being a director stamping himself all over the property and basically ignoring the source material just 'cause he can, like he did with Resident Evil.

But yeah, the guy's generally horrible. Which is why enjoying Event Horizon so much surprises me. It's B-grade, and yeah, it's generic creepy-shit-in-space, but it's just done surprisingly well for one of those movies. Pretty genuine "holy fuck!" moments in it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Which is why enjoying Event Horizon so much surprises me. It's B-grade, and yeah, it's generic creepy-shit-in-space, but it's just done surprisingly well for one of those movies. Pretty genuine "holy fuck!" moments in it, too.
    I forgot to say I totally agree.

Dredd

9/10

Fucking loved it. Met every expectation I had for it. It's gleefully over the top and Karl Urban owns the role.

Yeah, Dredd was awesome. It did feel a little cheap & direct-to-video in places, zero budget (whatever you can say about the Stallone movie, they nailed all the set design and art style etc), but it's a hell of a solid intense-R-rated-actioner. I was hoping they'd go something along those lines with the Robocop reboot, but that's shaping up to be a steaming pile of generic action movie horseshit.

Fuck, I bought the Iron Man 3 bluray yesterday. Haven't got around to watching it just yet, only saw it once in theaters and I get the feeling the Killian/AIM stuff might not hold up as well upon second viewing in relation to the first movie. Not sure if I buy Raza and his guys knowingly OR unknowingly working for Aldrich, and the Ten Rings having only existed since some time post-1999. But that's minor.

Marvel/Disney's doing short films now as DVD extras though, more than just the little one-minute gags with Coulson etc. There's a whole Peggy Carter short film on the disc, and it's fuckin' rad. Post-WW2, I guess before SHIELD proper is formed, with Peggy goin' all solo badass chasing some artifact, Indy-style. Really hoping the TV show eventually incorporates some kind of early-days SHIELD flashbacks along the way, Peggy & Howard Stark & Dum Dum etc, in the 50s/60s.

Insidious 2. 8/10. It did a good job following where the first ended. It was a lot more suspenseful than the first which I really liked.

Safety Not Guaranteed 9/10

Freaking awesome movie. Mark Duplass just absolutely kills it in his roll and I have a new crush: Aubrey Plaza