Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie i saw pt2

Fox forced re-writes to remove the original xenomorph. That's all I know for sure and it's enough to invoke my neckbeard rage.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Anyone who thinks The Last Stand is an excellent homage to action films of the 80/90s wasn't around during that period. Or so I'd like to claim. Stallone clearly doesn't understand them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Anyone who thinks The Last Stand is an excellent homage to action films of the 80/90s wasn't around during that period. Or so I'd like to claim. Stallone clearly doesn't understand them either.
    I think the only homage to 80/90s action movies is Die Hard.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I'd argue Fast 5 and Fast 6 nailed it without even trying. As opposed to any obviously off the mark attempt by Sly.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

I have two weeks off from work and have decided to finally watch all 7 Batman movies in order. I just finished the first one, and damn, Jack Nicholson's Joker was amazing. I hope to get through the movies quickly enough to have a fresh comparison between his and Ledger's, but it's hard right now to think that Ledger could've topped that performance :P

It's been like 15 years since I watched the first Batman film... so, so good.

I also recently rewatched Rain Man, also for the first time in about 15 years. Another incredibly good film... back when Tom Cruise was worth his fame. And well, Hoffman... can't even put into words how amazing his performance was.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I think the only homage to 80/90s action movies is Die Hard.
    You know Die Hard was 1988, right? Where the fuck's the homage? Die Hard pretty much is "the 80s action movie".

As for The Last Stand, what wasn't classic action movie about that? Sure, it's shot in a slicker more modern way, the young Korean director and all, but the tone was spot-on. It's over the top and a soft-R tone, wacky one-note characters, the kind of western "one dude against an army of goons" premise.

And, uhm, F&F, seriously? Seems pretty much the definition of "modern" action flick.

P_I_B, I think you're confused on the Prometheus thing. It started out as a prequel to Alien, yeah, but moved away from that pretty early in production. Ridley and Damon did that, it wasn't a Fox thing. Ridley Scott's had final cut and creative control for years and years now, he's not the type of guy that takes notes from studios anymore.

He's said the original plan was it was going to be set on LV-426, with the original xenomorph design, but they scrapped that and decided to turn it more into its own thing waaay early in production, like before they were even working on the final script.

Also, yeah,'89 Batman kills. Although Jack-Joker's probably one of the weaker parts about it (in character accuracy, anyway), even though he's crazily fun to watch. Just a weird choice, Jack doesn't really look a whole lot like Joker in features, and he's obviously just playing a crazy version of Nicholson.

But it's ridiculous how a tiny little comedian like Keaton destroys Bale, though. Bale makes for a pretty good Wayne (aside from the writing painting him as not-that-bright and kind of thuggish in the suit), but once he dons the cape and cowl it all blows. Not just the voice, either.

Returns is a blast, too, even though it goes way more "Burton" than "Batman". Nothing at all like the source material, but it's awesome anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Also, yeah,'89 Batman kills. Although Jack-Joker's probably one of the weaker parts about it (in character accuracy, anyway), even though he's crazily fun to watch. Just a weird choice, Jack doesn't really look a whole lot like Joker in features, and he's obviously just playing a crazy version of Nicholson.
    As someone who's never read any of the comics or anything, how close any character is to the comics is lost on and unimportant to me... though I see why it'd be important to fans of the comics, for sure. Yeah, Jack Nicholson is still Jack Nicholson in that role, but he was just perfect for it. He was such fun to watch. And he was funny instead of emo.

But it's ridiculous how a tiny little comedian like Keaton destroys Bale, though. Bale makes for a pretty good Wayne (aside from the writing painting him as not-that-bright and kind of thuggish in the suit), but once he dons the cape and cowl it all blows. Not just the voice, either.
    Oh my god, Keaton is WAY better than Bale. I don't even need to re-watch the new ones yet to know that I can't stand Bale's Batman. He was only better than Clooney. I also prefer Keaton's Wayne, but yeah Bale's at least alright as Wayne.

Returns is a blast, too, even though it goes way more "Burton" than "Batman". Nothing at all like the source material, but it's awesome anyway.
    I just finished Returns, and I think I like it even more than the first one. To be fair, though, I think I just love Catwoman and her story and chemistry with Batman. Penguin is just a crazy DeVito, but I like that character, as well. I agree, though, that Returns doesn't focus as much on Batman as the first one does, and I'm a fan of the ones that go more into Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

It's just ridiculous how imposing and threatening Keaton-Bats is. Guy's like 3 feet all in a suit where he can't move his neck, and is still intimidating as fuck.

Alec Baldwin almost got the role, and at the time he'd probably be the ideal candidate, closest of anyone to Wayne that's actually got the role so far. But I don't even care, since Keaton's just beyond great, brings that obsessive crazy and genuine sense of intimidating intelligence that Bale didn't. I always thought Bale's version just came off as a blunt-force-object, aside from that one little ballistics scene in TDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    You know Die Hard was 1988, right?
    Whaaaat ? I wasn't aware of that. I thought it had been made last week ! I should have guessed. I thought Bruce looked young...

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !