Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Resolutions

Default New Year's Resolutions

Hey guys, I just realized that no one here has started a thread about New Year's resolutions. They do that around the world, right?
    If they don't, it's basically where you pick a good habit to try to continue through the entire new year (2012). I'm sure everyone knew that though.

So do you guys have any plans?

Resolutions are basically a US and Canada thing. I've never done them because I figure, why should I wait til Jan 1st? If I wanna change something, I change it immediately. I don't really get the celebration of a new year... never have, probably never will. But I still go out with friends while I'm confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    Resolutions are basically a US and Canada thing.
    Eh...no. Definitely not.

In saying that though, it's a stupid custom, I've never had any.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

It happens all over the world as far as I know. In The Netherlands is always a popular subject.
    I've never done them because I figure, why should I wait til Jan 1st? If I wanna change something, I change it immediately
    I feel the same, however, January 1st is an easy way to look back on the past year and see what you did. You can also use it as an ultimatum for your self. That's why so many people choose this particular date. More logically, if anything, it should be ones birthday. But then we can't all discuss it at the same time.

My resolutions would be to finish my studies, finish all the projects I'm doing. Get my self a job with a future and move out to live on my own again. Though I started with this a few months ago and so far I'm doing quite okay I think.
    * !

Sorry, I was thinking of the ball drop/kissing at midnight thing. Resolutions are in quite a few westernized countries.

Jan 1st is totally arbitrary as the start of a new year, though... you can look back on the last year at any time. Why did we all agree to Jan 1st?

A birthday would actually make more sense, because we'd all be reminded throughout the year. Someone has a birthday, and people ask what their resolutions are... and then they're reminded of their own. Seems like there'd be more success that way.

Sorry, I was thinking of the ball drop/kissing at midnight thing.
    Not a North American exclusive thing either though.
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    Not a North American exclusive thing either though.
    Really?? I've never encountered either anywhere outside the US, and I've been given confused looks when talking about it. I'm gonna have to research these traditions

Wait a minute... the ball drop definitely originated in NYC, and I doubt any other countries really celebrate together around the US ball drop...

Sounds correct about the kissing at midnight thing, though... but I've still never seen it outside the US. Odd.
    Last edited by Llamas; 01-01-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Balldrop I meant to edit out, so much so infact that I didn't actually know what the balldrop was. . My sentence doesn't make sense as it is there referencing two things, oh well.

Kissing at midnight though is definitely a pretty well known thing.

It's okay, we got it all sorted out. Point is, New Years Resolutions are dumb.

It's okay, we got it all sorted out. Point is, New Years Resolutions are dumb.
    Sorry for starting the thread then . Personally, I do not have any resolutions. I just wanted to see what you guys would say.