Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: What percentage of the time are you right?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,369


    Default What percentage of the time are you right?

    How often are you right?

    Are you right 99% of the time? Or is it closer to 75%? Or are you some kind of jackass who is closer to the 50% range?

    Also, what percentage of the time is the average person right?
    Last edited by bighead384; 01-15-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nowhere, Ohio
    Posts
    5,641


    Default

    Maybe in the 75% range. Really, I try only to be opinionated about things I have some education about. For example, even though I like football, I'm usually going to keep my mouth shut in most discussions because I'm kind of dumb when it comes to it. Obviously, like most people, I'll think I'm more educated on something than I actually am, but again, that's something everyone does to some degree.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    755


    Default

    80% but nearly all of the time I dont care enough to chime in. Probably because Im a big fat vagina and afraid to be wrong or look stupid.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,234


    Default

    I'm probably one of those people who're right or mostly right 70% of the time, but think they're right 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    5,203


    Default

    Nobody can answer this question. I'd like to confront someone from this thread with the 25% percent of their opinions that are wrong, and watch them defend them as right.

    You wouldn't be arguing a point if you thought it was wrong, or at least you would only argue it up to the point of being proven wrong, if it was the kind of point you could do that with, but if we're focusing on opinions here, everyone thinks they're right 100% of the time.

    An interesting question none the less though.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,044


    Default

    It really is impossible to answer this question. A better question might be "how often are you proven wrong?", because unless you're proven wrong, you surely go on thinking you were right. A lot of people also don't accept that they're wrong even afterward. And a lot of who's right/wrong arguments are totally subjective. So this is really impossible to answer.

    Also depends on topics, as well. I'm wrong about politics far more often than I'm wrong about English pronunciation. As a result, people don't ask me about politics as often as they do English pronunciation. That gives me a higher chance of being right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,369


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    It really is impossible to answer this question. A better question might be "how often are you proven wrong?", because unless you're proven wrong, you surely go on thinking you were right.
    Good point. I wish I had changed the title of the thread now.

    There's being right about everyday life things - like what time you ought to leave the house in order to be at the sports stadium for the game on time. And then there's things that are much harder to verify, like a whether or not a certain political policy is the most effective.

    When it comes to being right about the decisions one makes in everyday life, I'm a bit of a jackass, as many people here might imagine. I'm definitely not one of the worst people though. On one hand, I take great care to notice little tips that aid in decisions like this. But on the other hand, I have a certain proneness to missing vital details, which I attribute to simply being a "spaced out" type of person.
    Last edited by bighead384; 01-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,433


    Default

    That's bullshit. I'm right just about all the time. The vicinity of 95% sounds about right, if a little low. I'm right because I don't like to venture opinions before I've had a chance to know what I'm talking about, because I don't think people should be involved if they aren't informed, because no one should truly engage if they aren't willing to learn from potential errors, and because I'm just a terrifyingly smart guy with a wide range of interests and a tendency for ironclad debate.

    I'm right because I know the facts. I'm right because I write the facts, because I collect the facts, because I juggle them. I'm right because when you have the facts, you can't be wrong, despite who collected them. You can't be weak if it's a fact, and when you know the fact, you know the truth. That's how it works.

    Last year, I was 100% right on the speed of light being the top speed of the universe. This year, I'm 100% right in not knowing. It's beautiful to be right all the time. You should all try it sometime.

    What more could you want in a potential life partner than someone who will consistently and persistently put you down and aggressively bring the truth into your face and personal space, really?

    Can't think of a single god damned thing.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,234


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squinzer
    Lots of crap demagogy. It's an identical question. If you know how many times you've been proven wrong, you know what percentage of the time you were right. The point you are trying to make is that it's difficult to guess, people are not going to investigate or make a sample of their decisions

    So you're saying it's entirely impossible to walk around with an incorrect belief and never have it challenged by a conflicting fact, or to never engage in debate with someone knowledgeable enough to prove you wrong? What if you're wrong, but it's yet to be proven? It's not at all the same question. Even if you're unaware that you're wrong, you're still secretly wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by squinzer
    LOL. Wow, lots of crap again. So, you suck at politics and now you are trying to improve your percentage by not including politics?
    By never having a conversation with someone who is more of an authority on politics due to her lack of knowledge, she can secretly be wrong without knowing it. She's wrong regardless, but her winning percentage is padded with the lack of someone to expose it.


    Quote Originally Posted by squinzer
    Train your logic llamas.
    Just dumb.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,107


    Default

    If hating this thread is wrong, I don't want to be right 100% of the time.
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •