Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nerdy Hobbies

Default Nerdy Hobbies

Do you guys do anything nerdy to occupy your free time? I know that I am a bit of a nerd. Earlier today I was making a purposeless website using html5. I've also tried to learn to communicate in Morse code and binary before.

I also regularly post comments on my favorite band's website which is kind of nerdy. Unlike most guys, I don't play video games though.

What do you guys do?

Yeah the whole website thing. Learning PHP, MySQL, Javascript, CSS, and of course HTML just for the fun of it.
    Last edited by Tijs; 01-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    * !

collecting vinyl records

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    collecting vinyl records
    Oh yeah, I do this too, though on a small scale. But I didn't think that's nerdy, just uncool.
    * !

A few of my friends and I play Pokemon off and on. Although I haven't gotten anywhere NEAR as hardcore into as they do. I just play and make a modest effort to put together a decent team. They research all these strategies and shit.

There's also a Online Pokemon game where it's nothing but battles, and every detail of your Pokemon's stats is fully customizable. It's really well done and just fucking cool.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

"I come not, friends, to steal away your hearts..."

Quote Originally Posted by TheNooseIsFalling View Post
    nothing really interesting is going on there, when the girls took off their pants, it didn't exactly turn out the way I expected

I used to be WAY into model rocketry. I stopped for years and got back into it again a few months ago only to stop again because of how hectic life became. I have a little bit more free time now so maybe I'll give it another go soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

I'm reminded of Man On Internet Almost Falls Into World Of DIY Mustard Enthusiasts

I don't have nerdy hobbies as much as I have some nerdy interests. Stuff that I will never use in real life and especially in social situations, but I actively interact with other "enthusiasts" in various online outlets. I keep up with all the latest hardware tech. I keep up with esoteric boxing news. (There's a line you cross between being a manly boxing fan to a boxing nerd) I have a strong interest in monetary theory and policy. And of course I'm a big comic book guy.
    Last edited by Jebus; 01-29-2012 at 02:25 PM.

It's been a long time since I've actually done any of these things, but I used to make origami, juggle (I had a set of juggling pins, I have no idea where they are now) and make balloon animals. I also had a unicycle at one point but was never able to figure out how to not die on it, so I had to stop.

I'm really into those classic black and white movie monsters like Frankenstein's monster and the Wolfman. I have a small collection of movie monster action figures that I have on display, including Frankenstein's monster, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, etc.

I also still read comic books. My dad had a friend who had a huge collection of comic books from the 70's, 80's and 90's which he gave to my dad. My dad just sees them as potential money making machines (as if X-Men #1 was hidden somewhere in those stacks) while I liked them because I authentically enjoyed the stories. I still read them, but it's hard for me to keep up on current issues as the closest comic book shop is like an hour long drive, so I make due with what I have and what I can get at Barnes & Noble and online.

I also still play pokemon. I just downloaded some emulators and have been playing the leafgreen remake for the GBA.