Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: The Future Is Now

I'd just like to add that Sum 41 always picked really great songs as their "inspiration".
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    Ironic, considering Does This Look Infected takes a lot from The Offspring.
    Yeah, I've always thought that record sounded a lot like the Offspring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjRb7PYu_Pk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2rjbVlUKkE
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by GamerKT View Post
    Any examples of this Sum 41 business?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    Two I can think of off the top of my head: "The Bitter End" sounds like "Battery" by Metallica and "The Jester" sounds like "House Of Wolves" by My Chemical Romance. There are a few more, but those are the most notable. Don't get me wrong, I do like Sum 41, but I've noticed that they're not the most original.
    The biggest offender in my opinion is We're All To Blame vs SOAD's Chop Suey. Listen to the song structure and the choruses. I really don't think the Offspring rips people off this badly.
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    The biggest offender in my opinion is We're All To Blame vs SOAD's Chop Suey. Listen to the song structure and the choruses. I really don't think the Offspring rips people off this badly.
    All of you guys must have bat ears. I really would never make any of these connections myself. I still feel like it's a stretch. Then again, most rock songs are verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus, so there's bound to be a bunch of similarities.

All of you guys must have bat ears. I really would never make any of these connections myself. I still feel like it's a stretch. Then again, most rock songs are verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus, so there's bound to be a bunch of similarities.
    To be fair, I was trained in music theory, and I took ear training classes when I was a music student. The two songs I mentioned are mostly similar because of how the songs go from a fast, 4/4 verse into a half-time chorus with very similar vocal rhythms in the chorus. The verses are not very similar, except in contrast with their respective choruses. And vocal parts going into the chorus... "And we're all to blame", vs. "I don't think you trust". Not to mention how the chorus is structured... Especially with that guitar riff being so similar.

Oh, and the first thing yelled in the Sum 41 song is almost the same rhythm used in Chop Suey. "Take everything left from me" is the same as "when angels deserve to die".

I still like We're All to Blame, though. It's a good song in itself, even if every time I hear it, I think of Chop Suey.

Fuck me dead, now that is a rip off.

It's weird with Sum 41.

They had that...third album was it? Which was all pretty much blatantly Offspring-sounding. Then the next one was totally "spot the Metallica references".

And it didn't ever bother me. I don't even like the band, but I guess them copying other bands blatantly made them better than their "own sounding" stuff was anyway. That Offspring-esque disc of theirs was actually kind of fun.

On the flip side though, it pissed me off to no end on RAFRAG, with all the Green Day sounding stuff in the second half. Hypocrite is me.

Try 'Grab the devil..." vs Metallica's The Four Horsemen. I never really noticed the System-similiarities until now but yeah, they are a lot alike

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    It's weird with Sum 41.

They had that...third album was it? Which was all pretty much blatantly Offspring-sounding. Then the next one was totally "spot the Metallica references".

And it didn't ever bother me. I don't even like the band, but I guess them copying other bands blatantly made them better than their "own sounding" stuff was anyway. That Offspring-esque disc of theirs was actually kind of fun.

On the flip side though, it pissed me off to no end on RAFRAG, with all the Green Day sounding stuff in the second half. Hypocrite is me.
    1. I'm gonna have to listen to Does This Look Infected? today. I haven't listened to it in ages, but hearing all this about Offspring influence makes me VERY curious.
    2. Of course it bothers you more when it's a band you're into! "Some band I don't care about is borrowing from other bands; whatever, I don't care. Some band I love is borrowing from other bands; wtf guys, can't you please write for yourselves??" That's how it should be. I think that's the reason people here act like the Offspring is the worst offender; people here CARE about the Offspring! We want fully original songs from them! Makes sense to me.

10. Default

1. I'm gonna have to listen to Does This Look Infected? today. I haven't listened to it in ages, but hearing all this about Offspring influence makes me VERY curious.
    I was a huge Sum 41 fan for a time, up until Chuck came out (blasphemy!), and I'm not sure about the Offspring influence - can you guys give us some song examples? - but yeah, for some reason DTLI? is my favorite album from them too, by far, and the only one I listen to nowadays. It could take some time to get into it, but I always thought it was something special and friggin' underrated.