Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 305

Thread: The Future Is Now

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,096


    Default

    Bands often do that with other bands ripped off eachothers riffs? Find it to be quite amusing if you'd asked me. Blah, I'm drunk and don't give a crap.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,754


    Default

    I wouldn't even use the word "rip-off".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,096


    Default

    Copy. Bitters. Jock.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York, United States
    Posts
    411


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    What makes me laugh about the Savior comparison is that Rise Against totally ripped off the "whoa oh oh oh"s from AFI (Black Sails, I think, though I can't remember the name of the song right now). The circle of (songwriting) life is a snake eating its tail. It's all good, people.
    As if AFI, or anything other band, has a patent on whoas and ohs.
    Rise Against is my favorite band of all time (The Offspring is a close second). There's no comparison to Savior. At all. I'm sick of hearing that.
    People are just hearing what they wanna hear because of suggestions.

    Hey, Spawn is a rip-off of Spider-Man! Not really, but, if I said that, people would notice their almost-similar masks and claim that it's true. People only cry "rip-off" because some dick mentions if first and they think they hear/see something. Just no.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    110


    Default

    Haha, what Little Miss said about them being The Offspring and Bad Religion in a blender is so true.

    TFIN sounds like the child of TKAA and Have You Ever.

    Saviour sounds like what TKAA would sound like if Bad Religion wrote it with The Offspring.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerKT View Post
    As if AFI, or anything other band, has a patent on whoas and ohs.
    That's not what I said, or at least, not entirely. Rise against used the exact same melody for those whoas as AFI did, in the same order, even in more or less the same tempo. They didn't just sing "whoas". And if just using whoas on a song could get you called out for ripping people off, everyone mentioned in this song would be totally fucked.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoGuessing View Post
    Haha, what Little Miss said about them being The Offspring and Bad Religion in a blender is so true.
    I didn't say it - I agree it's true, though.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  7. #217
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    603


    Default

    Spawn's not a rip-off of Spidey. He *is*, however, basically Ghost Rider, Venom, and Batman mashed together in a half-assed fashion.

    And it makes sense to like Rise Against. They're not really my thing, but whatever. Just recognize that it's more along the lines of a variation of The Offspring's own sound than anything.

    People accused James Cameron of copying fucking HALO, of all things, with Avatar. It's a similar thing, just coming full circle. 'Cause, like, not like half the Halo shit didn't come from Aliens anyway. If this track has a resemblance to Rise Against, it makes sense, since Offspring are pretty obviously a big influence on those dudes.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York, United States
    Posts
    411


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    That's not what I said, or at least, not entirely. Rise against used the exact same melody for those whoas as AFI did, in the same order, even in more or less the same tempo. They didn't just sing "whoas". And if just using whoas on a song could get you called out for ripping people off, everyone mentioned in this song would be totally fucked.



    I didn't say it - I agree it's true, though.
    Can you please post the song, then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Spawn's not a rip-off of Spidey. He *is*, however, basically Ghost Rider, Venom, and Batman mashed together in a half-assed fashion.
    You missed my point entirely. He's not a rip-off. Because they have barely similar masks, if someone did publicly declare him a rip-off, some cunts would agree. He is not, though. I'm talking about the power of suggestion.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    603


    Default

    Off-topic admittedly, but seriously, Spawn's mask is the only similarity you see to other high profile comic characters?

    Spawn is basically McFarlane running with the living-suit Venom concept from his run, put into a Ghost Rider mythology. Throw in some 90s-fad anti-heroics, Punisher style, and some Batman goth-ery, you've got the Image flagship. It's the most cynically "we'll make the most badass guy eveeeerrr, dudez!" hacked-together thing the industry's seen with a major character.

    That's seriously different to an Offspring song sharing similarities with a band who...took influence from The Offspring.
    Last edited by Eskimo; 06-08-2012 at 06:29 PM.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York, United States
    Posts
    411


    Default

    Just forget Spawn. I'm saying that, if you claim something is a rip-off of something else because of a tiny thing (or nothing at all sometimes), there will always be people who join in like idiots with cries of "rip-off" for no good reason other than they think there's a ton of similarity because someone else said so. I hope I'm clear.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •