Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future Is Now

dorkrockcorkrod, welcome!

Yeah, I guess I have to admit that at the times their songs sound pretty similar to songs from other artists. But so what? This is nothing new. Take Come As You Are for example, Nirvana kind of ripped off Killing Joke's song Eighties, which in turn borrowed the main riff (not a 100% exact copy mind you) of The Damned's song Life Goes On. Then we have Deep Purple's Child in Time, which used the keyboard intro of the song Bombay Calling by It's A Beautiful Day. This "ripping off" business is far from being a new thing.

But it can get annoying that The Offspring are sometimes being singled out as the worst thieves in music history. They aren't the only band borrowing from others, and that's ok.

P.S.: I don't think The Future is Now and Savior are all that similar. They are both fast, punk-ish songs with a somewhat similar structure, and perhaps the vocal lines in the verses sound a bit similar too. But the overall feel is what matters for me, and that's completely different. So yeah, they are similar, but not nearly enough to call them carbon copies of eachother.

Savior sounds like TKAA slowed down.

My initial thoughts with TFIN is lovechild of Have You Ever and TKAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    But it can get annoying that The Offspring are sometimes being singled out as the worst thieves in music history. They aren't the only band borrowing from others, and that's ok.
    This is true. I think a lot of people here are acting like the Offspring is the only band who does this, or at least the worst one... remember that Sum 41 album, Chuck? It's my favorite Sum 41 album, and nearly every song on it sounds ripped off from another song. Sum 41 could never be a favorite band of mine (partially for this reason), but I still like that album. And the Offspring are far from the worst offenders. Try Madonna and Avril Lavigne. Those assholes can't write a song to save their lives, so they steal everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    I think a lot of people here are acting like the Offspring is the only band who does this, or at least the worst one... remember that Sum 41 album, Chuck? It's my favorite Sum 41 album, and nearly every song on it sounds ripped off from another song. Sum 41 could never be a favorite band of mine (partially for this reason), but I still like that album.
    I love Chuck. It's my second favorite album by them. I try not to be ashamed of it when I say that I like Sum 41. I have noticed some very-close-to-being-a-rip-off songs on Chuck (like Some Say) but I still like it because it sounds like them.

Back to TFIN. I've been thinking about it, and I understand that the vocal melody in the verses sounds similar to the verses in Savior (not identical). I don't really notice any other similarities. They are very different songs in my opinion. I used to be a huge RA fan a few years ago. I guess we'll just have to wait for the studio recorded version to make more comparisons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

i was just watching that rise against video and noticed an ad for days go by

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    i was just watching that rise against video and noticed an ad for days go by
    Freaky....
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    This is true. I think a lot of people here are acting like the Offspring is the only band who does this, or at least the worst one... remember that Sum 41 album, Chuck? It's my favorite Sum 41 album, and nearly every song on it sounds ripped off from another song. Sum 41 could never be a favorite band of mine (partially for this reason), but I still like that album.
    Sum 41 is a good example, actually. They've been doing it ever since Chuck too. Even moreso with Underclass Hero, even though they dialed it down a bit with Screaming Bloody Murder. When The Offspring's songs started sounding closer to other things, the first thing I thought was "uh oh, I hope they don't become another Sum 41". Ironic, considering Does This Look Infected takes a lot from The Offspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Any examples of this Sum 41 business?

Quote Originally Posted by GamerKT View Post
    Any examples of this Sum 41 business?
    I always thought Some Say and Wonderwall sounded really similar.
    Some Say
    Wonderwall

I'm sure there are more examples that others can point you to. I don't always notice similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    Sum 41 is a good example, actually. They've been doing it ever since Chuck too. Even moreso with Underclass Hero, even though they dialed it down a bit with Screaming Bloody Murder. When The Offspring's songs started sounding closer to other things, the first thing I thought was "uh oh, I hope they don't become another Sum 41". Ironic, considering Does This Look Infected takes a lot from The Offspring.
    Maybe that's why DTLI? is my favorite album by them.

Two I can think of off the top of my head: "The Bitter End" sounds like "Battery" by Metallica and "The Jester" sounds like "House Of Wolves" by My Chemical Romance. There are a few more, but those are the most notable. Don't get me wrong, I do like Sum 41, but I've noticed that they're not the most original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.