Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow, it finally happened...

You guys really haven't noticed that it's reached a new low? Really?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I have no opinion on the matter. It's just not that interesting of a thing to notice. It's not some great milestone that we all need to acknowledge. If people are already bored with the BBS, then it follows that people are going to be bored with meta-discussions of the BBS. I sure as hell am.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Unhappy

nnoooo!!!
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

For real. I found the drop-off between the end of '07 and the end '08/beginning '09 much more surprising. Once that happened, the inevitability that the BBS would die became very clear. This is the only forum I visit, but this doesn't bother me at all. It's been a great run. Its "mainstream" (for lack of a better word) popularity far outlasted the Offspring's.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man Where's Everybody View Post
    A flash-sideways parallel reality to the board, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Isolated Fury View Post
    Cause of death: multiple gunshot wounds from wandering the streets of Pap-town.
    ^ These two posts made coffee come out my nose a little.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    To slag the "lowness" of the board without shouldering some responsibility for it is kind of ridiculous, Bighead. I know I don't contribute actively to the content of this board. Several years of dealing with a shitstorm of negativity directed at me personally from a handful of users kind of took a big bite out of my enjoyment of this place. The forum ended up completely changing the course of my actual in-real-life life, though, so I can't hate it. But I can't help but feel like it's awfully rich of you to complain about the forum sucking when you've put so much work into making it suck over the years.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    ^ These two posts made coffee come out my nose a little.
    I knew someone would appreciate it.

I can't say that I'm horribly upset over the current state of the boards. Then again, I can't say I don't miss the good old days, either. Coming here is still enjoyable. I'd say the big difference is that the more "interesting" people made a far more substantial contribution to the boards' activity. If more of the "leet" were still here - shit, even Justin or the 'tards like ruroken - it would be a lot more fun.
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Isolated Fury View Post
    I can't say that I'm horribly upset over the current state of the boards. Then again, I can't say I don't miss the good old days, either. Coming here is still enjoyable. I'd say the big difference is that the more "interesting" people made a far more substantial contribution to the boards' activity. If more of the "leet" were still here - shit, even Justin or the 'tards like ruroken - it would be a lot more fun.
    It's been an unintended consequence of the project of making the forums more friendly to the fans, which I regret. I'm glad the band's fans have a place to be fans, but I miss a lot of the old members. I'm not sure how else we could have accomplished the same, though.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

When thinking about why this forum is dying out, I started to ask myself why I don't post here that much. One of the main reason is because there is really not much I can add to a particular discussion, but also another reason is because I've been busy. I remember posting a lot here, then I stopped because of several things like I got sucked into WoW for 2 years. Having quit that for good, I've supplemented my time with other things like my writing, my music, school, friends, etc etc, to the point where I visit this site less often.

I think a lot of the old members just stopped posting because their lives are getting in the way. Sure, they may still love the Offspring, but are too busy with real life shit to take time to post on a forum.

As for making new fans, In the past ten years, The Offspring have released 2 albums and one greatest hits, culminating into 3 or 4 popular singles that reminded people of their existence, but the music industry is changing. People treat music more like a novelty than a means to express how you feel. People don't buy CD's or even download whole albums, just the songs they heard on the radio and liked. People are getting lazy in terms of music appreciation.

but that's only the way I see it, I may just be full of shit right now.

I first posted in these forums (albeit a very different version of these forums) over a decade ago. I was in a very confusing, very very strange period in my life. Through these forums I got to know a few really cool individuals who helped me, even just through AIM conversations, through some really heavy stuff-- fighting addiction around the same time I got married and became a father. It was also a laugh-- I genuinely had a great time in the boards.

Since then, my life took a few really bizarre turns for the better. I stopped posting because I just got too busy, and honestly, I haven't really liked The Offspring for the better part of a decade (I wouldn't say I've "outgrown" them, as much as we've just grown in different directions). I've made a few "comebacks" that weren't really comebacks at all, but sudden pangs of nostalgia. Save for LM1565 and maybe wheelchairman, I've no idea where the "old gang" is. I know I likely won't find them actively posting these days, but I'm still drawn back to the board every once in a while I can't really explain it.