Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to think more positively?

Default Is it possible to learn to think more positively?

Or, is it simply a character trait that, for the most part, can't be changed?

I've tried different ways to inspire myself to think more positively, but it's never a permanent thing. Something may inspire me for a week or two, but it never lasts. But of course, this is just my experience. Has anyone managed to changed the frequency of their negative or positive thoughts?

Edit: Come to think of it, I'm more concerned with other people's experiences than whether it's "possible" or not.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

If people can make themselves believe that there is a deity, and that Apple makes good products, then you can make yourself think positively. You just have to practice more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan fr den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer lter bra.

Thinking negatively is something nobody can control. It just comes to mind. Positive thoughts don't last for a long time. There is always something that breaks the positiveness.
    Enslave my mind...

I've had success with thinking more positively. I spent a couple years being overly negative and seeing the bad side of everything. Stressing and worrying about nothing, and just overall a pile of negativity. In the last half a year or so, though, I've managed to overturn that to a certain extent and am now a much more optimistic person than I'd been. Feels good, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I have this thing against the idea that the acknowledgement that positive thinking is more beneficial than negative thinking should be enough to inspire a person to become a positive thinker. Positive and negative thoughts are influenced by feelings/emotions. And of course your feelings are based on rational analysis. So if you have many negative feelings, perhaps for legitimate reasons, you're going to have many negative thoughts.

I like the "militaristic positivity" tag. There's a tool on my FB friends list that fits that description.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Hehe, thread for me. I think it is possible to learn to think more positively, but I haven't found the way myself yet. In theory focusing on the bright sides of things should help, but in practice it's so tempting to focus on the negative ones

I would presume to say that it's possible to go from a state of thinking negatively to a state of thinking positively, yes. However to "learn" to go from one to the other is an entirely different thing. I would say that kind of thing has to happen naturally, or even chemically (heroin makes people happy, right? same with anti-depressants ...if they work, I wouldn't know).

Despite internet appearances, and a sometimes really grim view of the human race as a whole (but very rarely a grim view of individuals interestingly), I have a sometimes overwhelmingly positive thought process pretty much all of the time. I don't know why.

Anyhow, yeah, if it's possible for happy healthy people to slip into a state of depression, then it's possible to slip back to being happy and healthy, and weather or not drugging yourself, or like I dunno, meditating or some shit, qualifies as "learning to be positive" is up to your definition when you made the thread.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Unhappy

It is really difficult, of course I've tried, now that I have a new job and I never though it would be that hard, Im a teacher and after 7 hours of classes i feel like ....fed up!...and sometimes I think that everything sucks, im not in the mood, etc...I have been reading a book about neuro-linguistic programming, I consider it is really good, I have a lot of theory but to put that in practice is not as easy as it looks like.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    I've had success with thinking more positively. I spent a couple years being overly negative and seeing the bad side of everything. Stressing and worrying about nothing, and just overall a pile of negativity. In the last half a year or so, though, I've managed to overturn that to a certain extent and am now a much more optimistic person than I'd been. Feels good, man.
    How did you do that?

Over the years I've noticed that my thought have become more negative. I'm not sure I know how to be positive anymore :/