View Poll Results: Which one is better? Secondary thing is which one do you like more?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Splinter

19 42.22%
  • Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

26 57.78%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Splinter or RFRG?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    I don't understand that about RAFRAG, sure the 4 songs are rockin' and all, but so is Nothingtown. That's one of the best songs of the album, it just bounces somehow. Love to play that as loud as possible in the car. And then there's 'Rock Bottom' and 'Rise and Fall', those rock pretty hard too. I feel that when one of those songs were put between the first four songs, they'd be appreciated much more.

Srsly.
    Maybe, but we appreciate SIMU even though it's in the latter half of the album. Of the three songs you mentioned, Rock Bottom is my favorite. I love the verses of that song, but the chorus is kinda lame and doesn't really flow with the verses. Rise and Fall is on the lower end of the spectrum - every time I hear it, I think of American Idiot, which is a song I really don't care for. I think they tried to make the first half of the album darker, and the second half more upbeat and lighter... and I just happen to like the darker, more intricate half more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

CGMHAU I'm loving this.

How the hell do you give +3 to Neocon is beyond me. Takes Me Nowhere is 0 at best. I'm one of those not really into Half-truism and Trust In You. Hit That and Race Against Myself deserve more in my book. Spare Me The Details is damn catchy.

0-9 you assholes! You know what I'm going to do know. All the Splinter fans are dead or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Degstur Lolland View Post
    CGMHAU I'm loving this.
    Of course you are, HAU. But CGMHAU is the abbreviation of the song's name, so there :P

How the hell do you give +3 to Neocon is beyond me.
    It may only be an intro, but it's by far the best intro they've ever put on an album. I think it's a great way to start the album - much better than Time To Relax, Welcome, or Intro... and I like it more than Disclaimer, too. It's heavy, it rocks, and it gets me ready to listen to some Offspring.

Takes Me Nowhere is 0 at best.
    Takes Me Nowhere has awesome harmonies in the pre-chorus, and the counter-melody in the chorus is great. But it's the bridge that really does it for me on that song. So good.

I'm one of those not really into Half-truism and Trust In You. Hit That and Race Against Myself deserve more in my book. Spare Me The Details is damn catchy.
    Fair enough. Diff'rent strokes... Race Against Myself is good, but it's pretty much generic emo rock. It always reminded me a lot of Linkin Park, though better. Spare Me the Details is just annoying for me. I never found it catchy; never got stuck in my head or made me wanna listen to it out of nowhere.

All the Splinter fans are dead or something.
    Aren't you a Splinter fan? You're gonna kill yourself? I don't think much of the bbs would be upset about that
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

RaF,RaG is a much better album. But Splinter contains at least one of the best songs they've ever written for their three main sounds: Their standard punk rock anthems (Lightning Rod, The Noose), Their alternative sound (Race Against Myself, Head Around You), and their pop-punk sound (Hit that). Splinter is the diverse record, if you ask me. It's all over the place, it sounds like they couldn't decide which of their trademarks should command the record, so they wrote one or two awesome songs for each mode and then let filler infiltrate.

For the record, Worst Hangover Ever and Spare Me the Details are awesome songs - they just lose their novelty quickly. I find Hit That to actually have a little bit of staying power, though, since the lyrics aren't annoying.

RaF,RaG on the other hand, is a rocker pretty much all the way. They even experimented a little bit with A Lot Like Me.

Splinter is a great collection of songs, but it's the least coherent and cohesive output they've released, not to mention the fact that it was exceptionally short.

Rise and Fall was more diverse, giving a little something for everyone to enjoy, but I enjoyed the darker, heavier songs that were on Splinter. I'm a lot more forgiving of the length of Splinter, but it did have those tracks I didn't like, namely Worst Hangover Ever, but Rise and Fall wasn't without track I didn't like as well, like Fix You and Rise and Fall. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace because of it's diversity, but I still really enjoy Splinter.

RaF,RaG did offer a little bit of everything, I didn't mean to suggest it didn't - but it was consistently to-the-point and rocking. It flows so much better than Splinter, even the weaker songs at least seem to belong.

Personally, CO1 and Splinter are my favorites. However, this may be due to the fact that they are the only two that I do not own, so I haven't overplayed them.

It's between Conspiracy of One and RaF,RaG for my #2 and #3. Co1 is very heavy on the pop side, but I happen to think the Offspring have always done pop-punk a great justice, and Co1 does nothing but prove that.

I think of Co1 as the Smash of pop-punk records.

Splinter: It includes 10 tracks ("Neocon" & "When you're in prison" don't count as tracks for me). I don't like "Worst hangover ever" and "Race against myself", so 8/10.

RaF,RaG: It includes 12 tracks(13 adding "O.C.life"). I don't like "Fix you","Kristy" and "Let's hear it for rock bottom". 9/12 (or 10/13)

So, there is a subtle difference between the two...
    Last edited by Defender; 03-31-2012 at 01:39 AM.
    Enslave my mind...

For me,it's very easy to decide...Splinter is my most favorite album...I love Neocon,The Noose,Long way home,Race against myself,Head around you,Never gonna find me and Spare me the details...I like Hit that,Lightning Rod and The worst hangover ever (it's great when you're hung-over)...and I've got a neutral relation to Da Hui...actually I love it when I'm bored and need to listen to something fast and energetic...When you're in Prison is a bullshit,I usually don't listen to this one...
    RafRag is also a good album but too diverse...I love You're gonna go far,kid,A lot like me and Stuff is messed up...I like Half-Truism,Kristy,Nothingtown and Let's hear it for rock bottom..I've got a neutral relation to Trust in you,Hammerhead,Takes me nowhere...but I really can't stand Fix you and Rise and Fall...IMO,that's the worst song they've ever written...
    so I love 7 songs on Splinter and I only dislike one,whereas I've got only 3 favorites on RafRag and 2 songs I literally hate..but I can't say that Ragrag would be a bad album...but doesn't have so many energetic songs as Splinter
    I know you wanna hit that