Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justin Biber or: How I Learned to Stop Obsessing Over Music Created for Preteen Girls

Hybrid View

Default Justin Biber or: How I Learned to Stop Obsessing Over Music Created for Preteen Girls

I wish I could say that I've never heard of Justin Bieber, not because I think he's the worst thing that has ever happened to mankind, or because I think he's is singly handily ruining modern music. I wish I could say I'd never heard of Justin Bieber because I'm fucking tired of hearing grown ass men drone on and on and on about a teenager who creates music SPECIFICALLY TARGETED AT YOUNG GIRLS.

I can't pinpoint the day the name Justin Bieber became recognizable to me and synonymous with the kid who makes manufactured pop music, but I would be willing to bet everything I own that I know who he is because some 20something dude was calling for his death, calling him a faggot, or something along those lines. I know people like to talk about him as if he is occupying every facet of media and they have to deal with a Bieber onslaught everyday of their lives, but I find that incredibly hard to believe. Even if you have a Bieber superfan for a little sister and you are actually subjected to him on a daily basis, why the fuck you'd want to subject everyone else to it as well? I guess what I'm getting at here is, if grown ass men stopped complaining about Justin Bieber most grown ass men would never even know about him. Said grown ass men need to grow the fuck up and realize that they are not going to have the same taste in music as little girls, different demographics and shit.

So, that's one rant I wanted to get out there. On to the real topic of this thread, who the fuck thinks this shit is clever or an accurate representation of generations and music?

First of all, why would anyone ever choose to compare genres like this? It's always frustrating when people make such baseless and outlandish comparisons, but this one is straight bullshit. Not to mention that cherry picking some of the most famous artists from the last 40 years and using them as a generalized example for entire generations is just plain silly. Apparently bad music didn't exist until the last 10 years. It's not like people forget about all the shit bands from past generations because they were shit bands.

Also, I'm not an expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure Led Zepplin had mostly shitty lyrics (including these) and stole plenty of material at one point or another, so that's pretty cool. Yeah, I said it, Led Zepplin pretty much suck. I know next to nothing about Tupac and have no comments to make about him.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be giving honest or legitimate criticisms, but there is a huge difference between that and people throwing around death threats or baseless claims that all modern day music is void of talent and it's all shit. If some people spent half as much time looking for new music as they did concerning themselves with what Justin Bieber is doing and complaining about new music, they'd find out that we might be living in one of the best, if not the best time for music, in history. Seriously, artists have never had so many freedoms in regards to making music, and it's never been so easy to find artists that practically tailor their music to you taste. Mostly though, they wouldn't have to complain about it anymore and I wouldn't have to hear their vapid bullshit every time I open my internet browser.

So, is there anyone who disagrees with me and has any kind of reason outside of 'lololo biber is gay, stairway to heaven fiveever'?

TL;DR: Kanye West is the greatest artist of all time, OF ALL TIME! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I wrote a four word letter.

I make fun of Bieber and the like sometimes when it comes up. I posted this img some time ago, but it was mostly for laughs.

I'm with you that the haters of Bieber are far more annoying than Bieber and his fans .I only know one person who is a Bieber fan, and he's a 14-year-old student of mine. I don't get how people get so riled up about this without being surrounded by Bieber fans. It's totally different than hating Nickelback; a big part of my beef with Nickelback is hearing people my age going on and on about how awesome they are and how anyone who doesn't appreciate "real" music like Nickelback must be a fan of Bieber. But the opposite doesn't exist.

I mean, the demographic is a huge point of contention - including in these images comparing lyrics. Can you imagine a singer who targets teenage and pre-teen girls, singing, "With each word your tenderness grows, tearing my fear apart, and that laugh that wrinkles your nose, it touches my foolish heart"? Teenagers are moronic demons dressed in human clothes; it's way too much to ask of them that they listen to music with good lyrics. Let them have their shitty music. They'll grow out of it, and hopefully into some better music when they get older.

PS: That youtube comparison is bullshit. Tupac died long before Youtube existed. Most of the listeners in HIS demographic aren't searching Youtube to listen to him. Most of them actually own his CDs. Bieber's demographic spend all day on the internet. Horribly stupid comparison. How about comparing their CD sales and seeing how much more "popular" Tupac is?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I saw a guy compare views from a 3 minute Eminem video to Kanye's 30 minute ego-orgy and present that as an argument for why Eminem should have won a Grammy he wasn't nominated for. I thought that was pretty funny.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I always though Pink Floyd was annoying and overrated. They're not bad or anything, they're just not that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    If I had the power, I would finally grant your wish to be polls moderator. With no voting rights. Like the Washington DC of modship.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyoff
    do you have boobs??? because in your picture it looks like you have. are you a boy or a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    First of all, why would anyone ever choose to compare genres like this? It's always frustrating when people make such baseless and outlandish comparisons, but this one is straight bullshit. Not to mention that cherry picking some of the most famous artists from the last 40 years and using them as a generalized example for entire generations is just plain silly. Apparently bad music didn't exist until the last 10 years. It's not like people forget about all the shit bands from past generations because they were shit bands.
    Well these genres are all "pop." They were all popular at the time and that would make 2pac "pop even though he was rap and it would make Frank "pop" too even though he was Jazz or Swing or whatever he was. Now, my point is that people are comparing binding mainstream genres and complaining about the state of music. These days, music is targeted towards retarded teen-boppers like you said, and the quality of music horribly sucks balls compared to past talents. Compare, Nikki Minaj, Newboyz, Lil Wayne, and other rappers to past rappers like Pac, biggie, Dre, Snoop, and P. Diddy. Rap is just...Compare the best punk bands: BR, the offspring, NOFX, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys. Now compare the punk bands of today. There aren't any. Point is, the quality of mainstream music became shit. You used to be able to turn on the radio and have good shit coming out. The only quality and talented genre of music from the modern age is dubstep. And I'm not trying to sound like a hipster but dubstep will soon start to suck because someone's going to try and formulate it and make money effortlessly without putting any feel or work into the music. Dubstep will become more about the money than about the dubstep.

On the topic of mainstream: I don't knock it because it is popular. Shit, I listen to Skrillex, The offspring, greenday, We came as romans, and Drake. I only bash on mainstream artists because it can be seen clearly that they formulate and structure their songs to sound the same just to make as much money and possible and not have a song that is not a cash bomb
    Last edited by AllIn All It's Not So Bad; 04-08-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    HAVE YOU EVER GONE AWAY with ONE HUNDRED PUNKS to have THE WORST HANGOVER EVER?
    “Trust me, mate. Stingrays can't swim backwards.”~ Steve Irwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    That sucks. But it's not a surprise, I read an article which says that a lot if studies show that death is really bad for your health...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    Who is Blowjob Armstrong?
    Condoms, you and I.
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic
    Cockin' and Jockin' since July 2005

What really bothers me is that Justin Bieber is mentioned on almost every other video of a punk rock song on YouTube. YouTubers always complain that he's the cause of the 1 dislike or whatever else. If it wasn't for all the haters, I would have probably only heard Justin Bieber's name mentioned a few times in my life.

I mean, from the two songs of his that I've heard, I agree he has terrible music and should be contained to a small sound-proof container in the ocean somewhere, but his music wasn't meant for me to like. Like others have said, it was intended for the 10-13 year old female age group.
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

I also really don't get the hate towards Bieber: he's no worse than any other form of popular music; the 90s had boy bands and Vanilla Ice, the 80s had hair metal and Mi Milli Vanilli..... it's always been full of shit; i fail to see how Justin Bieber is any worse.

It's also pretty easy to ignore as well; i don't listen to the radio, don't watch mtv: i seriously don't even know if i've actually heard a justin Bieber song in its entirety.

I always get a bit annoyed with the over-romanticization that gets attached to old bands: not saying they're bad, but its usually just really boring. I'd honestly rather sit through a Katy Perry album than one by say Pink Floyd.

Also, this comment never fails to make me laugh:

You say Justin Bieber,I say Nickelback
    You say Taylor Swift,I say Breaking Benjamin
    You say Lady Gaga,I say Evanescence
    You say Miley Cyrus,I say Slipknot
    You say T-Pain,I say Three Days Grace
    You say Emenem,I say Linkin Park
    You say Jonas Brother,Isay Green Day
    92% of teens have turnedteens have turned to pop and hip-hop.If you are part of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy and paste this message to 5 other videos. DON’T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL DIE

Quote Originally Posted by AllIn All It's Not So Bad View Post
    Rap is just...Compare the best punk bands: BR, the offspring, NOFX, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys. Now compare the punk bands of today. There aren't any.
    Oh dude, no. There's more to this genre than what's on the radio at the moment. There's been records out in the past few years that i'd put on par with any other time period in punk; just take a bit of time to explore the newer stuff, there's bound to be something you'll enjoy.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 04-08-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post

Also, this comment never fails to make me laugh:

92% of teens have turnedteens have turned to pop and hip-hop.If you are part of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy and paste this message to 5 other videos. DON’T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL DIE
    I hate that comment so much. The person acts as if Nickelback and Linkin back are the best in rock and roll. They always list some other crappy modern bands.

Oh dude, no. There's more to this genre than what's on the radio at the moment. There's been records out in the past few years that i'd put on par with any other time period in punk; just take a bit of time to explore the newer stuff, there's bound to be something you'll enjoy.
    There's actually some pretty cool stuff in the "Your Band" section of the BBS. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's crap.
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    I can proudly say that I have only heard Eminem out of those on the left, and this remake of a Lady Gaga song.

Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I hate that comment so much. The person acts as if Nickelback and Linkin back are the best in rock and roll. They always list some other crappy modern bands.
    I can proudly say that I have disabled all comments on YouTube with this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-comment-snob/
    Last edited by Jojan; 04-08-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan für den Sieg.
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer låter bra.

I can proudly say that I have only heard Eminem out of those on the left, and this remake of a Lady Gaga song.
    I wish I could say the same. You sir, are my hero.

I can proudly say that I have disabled all comments on YouTube with this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-comment-snob/
    I thank you for that. As soon as I restart my browser I'll also have that add-on.