Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Biber or: How I Learned to Stop Obsessing Over Music Created for Preteen Girls

I'm sure this is just a reiteration or generation differences. Do you think everyone loved the Beatles when they first appeared? If you ask me, there seemed to be a lot more screaming/moistening girls in the crowd than guys. And what about the older people that didn't like them? Are we just going to call them ignorant asses now? No. They didn't like that music, just like you don't like Bieber. I will laugh my balls off if Justin Bieber is just as big, if not bigger, as he is now. Just. Like. The Beatles.

And this doesn't just apply to the 60s or the Beatles. Look at Hanson. If you ask anyone that only heard "MmmBop" during their days in the spotlight, that person will tell you how retarded that song was and how retarded that band was. If you ask anyone that's given that band any sort of chance outside of "MmmBop", they'll tell you that they could be one of the most talented bands still playing today (ugh... I feel like Tizz right now). Teenage girls loved it; everyone else hated it. Same with ANY hair-metal from the 80s. Teenage guys wanted to be them, and teenage girls wanted to fuck them. Their parents thought they were the devil.

No band from one generation can be better than a band from another generation. They're two completely different things. There are too many factors involved in the comparison. What was popular before this? What activities are people involved with while listening to this? Will sales come more from live events or album sales? It's easy to take a "good" band from the past (even a years ago kind of past) and compare it to a "bad" new band. That good band was a reputation built as being a good band. That alone could smash the competition. But what about two bands that are considered classics? What if you compare Chuck Berry and Michael Jackson? I don't want to hear anything like "lol but chuck berry is black" or "MJ TOUCHED LITTLE BOYS." We're talking about two great artists. Most people will tell you that Chuck Berry was one of the first to shape the way rock and roll came to be. Those same people will tell you the Michael Jackson was the world's greatest entertainer. The point is that they're from two separate times. The people that listened to Chuck Berry would have thought that MJ was complete garbage. The people that listened to MJ would have called Berry and dinosaur. We as the later generation can appreciate both, though. They're still two completely different sounds, but we know that they are good.

The sooner everyone realizes that this isn't something you can control with bitching and "thumbs-downing" videos, the better. Music evolves and grows, just like people's tastes and preferences. It's useless to criticize Bieber. He'll still have fans. He'll still make music. Hell, we don't know just how long he'll be around. He could turn out to be one of the late greats that we compare to "stupid new shitty music."
    Last edited by Isolated Fury; 04-10-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

About Justin or any teen star who has nothing to do with music, I just can't say "oh well, they will always exist, who cares", their effect on teens is too big. I read somewhere that the music we listen to when we are pre-teens defines us for the rest of our life. Okay, I didn't read it, I heard it on an episode of Criminal Minds, but it's true. You start to choose what you want to listen instead of what your parents listen and even if you grow up and listen to different genres the music you listened to then always has an effect on your tastes.

Now I know popular music is commercialized and they don't care how this music affects the teenagers life but I don't think it would be hard, or would make them loose money if they just put some finer lyrics into the songs; lyrics that can mirror their feelings (without going crawling in my skin) or make them better people.
    Unfortunately they don't. And parents can't forbid their kids to listen to that kind of crap. At that point Pilz-e, I think those pictures that are neither funny nor clever become great things. When you are a teen most of your actions are shaped by people around you. For example I stopped listening to classical music and took a break on my piano education because my friends thought me of snob and old-fashioned so I went and bought Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water. Since almost all of the teens spend their time on the web it's nice to have some things that could remind them their taste is terrible, even insult them for it. Even if just a teeny tint percent of the teens are affected by them and look for finer kind of music it's a great thing.

Teen music isn't supposed to be bad and meaningless. It should be simple and easily listened without lyrics about complex feelings. This Biber guy is terrible even for its own genre. I'm not expecting 13 year olds to listen Stravinsky but their tastes shouldn't be deformed at a young age either. Not just about music, think of literature, films and even food. Think of the difference between Twilight and Harry Potter series, they are both for teens and easily read but while HP introduces literature to the kids and make them want to read something else in the future Twilight makes young girls get used to bland, short sentences and can't take anything more complex than that. It might seem harmless when a teen listens to Bieber, reads twilight and eat nothing but fast food but there are so many people who are over their 30s and still listen to bland pop music, read best sellers it seems kinda scary. And if it takes some pictures with weird comparisons or stupid comments on youtube to make them fewer, so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk should be read by every high school student so they can be like "dude, wtf, this sucks."

killer_queen, I see what you're saying, but most everyone who shit talks Justin Bieber on the internet is preaching to the choir. If you want to take your little sister aside and show her what you think is actually good music or whatever, that's cool. When I'm on a website dominated by 20-30 year old males, I don't want one out of every ten posts to be about Justin Bieber, seeing adults complain about a teen idol is fucking pathetic. Honestly though, I don't care if people listen to Justin Bieber and I genuinely like plenty of modern pop music.

Isolated Fury, I'm pretty certain we're on the same page here.

All in All, I'm not going to say I'm an expert on modern day punk music, because I never did listen to much punk, but I can almost guarantee you it is out there. I will post a picture of my junk on this forum if you spent sometime looking and couldn't find a single punk band from the last 5 years you liked. Basically, if you're only getting music from the radio and what used to be on the radio, you're doing it wrong, really, really wrong.

Here are some of my partially educated guesses at modern day punk, I'm sure others could be a lot more helpful:

The Lawrence Arms

Andrew Jackson Jihad

Rise Against

Billy Talent

Gallows

Gaslight Anthem

The Hold Steady

Say Anything

Titus Andronicus

I have very little experience with any of these bands, these are just some bands that I know people who enjoy(ed) the bands you mentioned enjoy.

Now, if you want something a little closer to traditional punk, something more aggressive, I can definitely help you with that. Everyone I knew growing up listened to the bands you listened to and now listen to stuff like this:

Give up the Ghost

Touché Amoré

Have Heart

Ceremony

Where Eagles Dare

Verse

Shipwreck AD

Run with the Hunted

Circle Takes the Square

If you're interested in any of this, let me know and I can help you find more. If not, don't fret, I literally pulled these bands out of my ass over a like 5 minute period without knowing anything besides 'likes old pop punk'.

Here are some other bands I'd just highly recommend still kind of in the same vein, a little bit:

At the Drive-In

Blood Brothers

the Weakerthans

the Mountain Goats

Tom Waits

Frank Turner

Again, this isn't even scratching the surface.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I say Nickelback
    Haha, I wish you said something else. I can swear I saw something like "You say H. Montana, I say the Offsprings".
    "I come not, friends, to steal away your hearts..."

Quote Originally Posted by TheNooseIsFalling View Post
    nothing really interesting is going on there, when the girls took off their pants, it didn't exactly turn out the way I expected

Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Haha, I wish you said something else. I can swear I saw something like "You say H. Montana, I say the Offsprings".
    Nickelback is okay.. they had that one good song.. the one about.. umm. Something like.. a photograph or something?
    Well, there's also that one song they made about.. uhh.. well, shit. Erm, ehh..
    Well, that's irrelevant because they have that one really nice song about...... shit.

Fuck it.
    Your back's to the wall, that's protocol;
    It's sequestering your spirit, misleading us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles

Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    I can swear I saw something like "You say H. Montana, I say the Offsprings".
    That would be undoubtedly the biggest dilemma of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I will post a picture of my junk on this forum...
    Yes please.
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Question What's better?

Pedo music taste or negative biber publicity?

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post

Also, I'm not an expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure Led Zepplin had mostly shitty lyrics (including these) and stole plenty of material at one point or another, so that's pretty cool. Yeah, I said it, Led Zepplin pretty much suck. I know next to nothing about Tupac and have no comments to make about him.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    That paragraph made me fall in love with you sir, beautiful words.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Thought this was relevant to the discussion:

I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street