Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Justin Biber or: How I Learned to Stop Obsessing Over Music Created for Preteen Girls

In the same way that I wad introduced to Justin Bieber through people non-stop complaining, I was introduced to YOLO by people whining about people who say YOLO. Now I've gone a step further by introducing you to YOLO by complaining about people who complain about people who complain about people who say YOLO. I can understand that you wouldn't have recognized it, I've seen it mostly on Tumblr (which makes sense) and a little on Reddit. I've still never seen someone use it in a sincere way though.

I'm not going to lie, I like Death of Seasons. bum-bum bumbumbum bum-bumbum bumbum OOOOOF LATE, IT'S HHHAAAARDER, JUUUUUST TO. GO. OUT. SIDE. AND LEEEEEEAVE. THIS DEAD SPACE. Then the whole ridiculous electronic bit in the middle.

I really like Ary of Drowning, All Hallows EP, and Black Sails LP. they are arguably better than Sing the Sorrow, but it's still my favorite for various reasons. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Miseria Cantare.

I was listening to some early AFI a few weeks ago, This Secret Ninja is fucking awesome. We used it on our morning announcements in 7th or 8th grade because we were cool as shit. Anyway, I can still dig the earlier stuff and listen to it sometimes, I never make it through a whole album though.

I also have a shit load of b-sides, unreleased stuff, and other miscellaneous tracks. A lot of them are really great.

Decemberunderground was pretty good, but I still don't like Miss Murder. It bugged the shit out of me that people would say 'oh, AFI sucks, except for that Miss Murder song.' FUCK YOU, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I have no opinion on Crash Love asides from Medicate really turning me off. I did listen to a little bit of Blaqk Audio a few weeks ago, and I listened to them a lot when Cex Cells came out. I'm still not really sure why.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I actually listened to a shit load of AFI two weeks ago. Sing the Sorrow is such a fantastic album.
    Yessssss. Oh God yes it is.

Anything from Black Sails to STS is awesome, but STS was their peak I think.

"Post-AOD AFI" only sucks if you're hung up about their being a "punk" band. STS was kind of like Americana was for the Offspring. Whether it was their best collection of songs is debatable, but it's their most cohesive album and awesome to listen to from start to finish.

Decemberunderground was pretty good, but I still don't like Miss Murder. It bugged the shit out of me that people would say 'oh, AFI sucks, except for that Miss Murder song.' FUCK YOU, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I have no opinion on Crash Love asides from Medicate really turning me off. I did listen to a little bit of Blaqk Audio a few weeks ago, and I listened to them a lot when Cex Cells came out. I'm still not really sure why.
    I never had anything in particular against Miss Murder or Medicate, but I thought both of those albums were pretty mediocre and haven't really listened to them much since they came out. I did listen to tracks 3-5 on Crash Love on repeat for a while after it came out, because that was a fun stretch of the album.

The degree to which I do not give a fuck about YOLO or anyone who says it is remarkable.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 04-24-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Id definitely say that early AFI is better;that said STS is pretty good and even Decemberunderground has its moments. Crash love was pretty boring though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

See... I can't bring myself to agree with the Sing the Sorrow favoritism. That album seriously broke my heart. AFI was my number one, all-time, super-duper, favorite band ever. I threw out all of my AFI t-shirts (stupid). I put my copy of Sing the Sorrow in the microwave. It was a bad time. I clung to the older material and pretended that nothing existed after Art of Drowning. When Decemberunderground came out, I acted like it was some new band that I'd never heard of. To this day, I've still never listened to any of the songs on it - not out of spite anymore, more of an ignorance. When you all started talking about Crash Love, I thought we were changing topics to another band. But no, apparently they came out with another album.

And I can't fully agree with Treez. I wouldn't say that I'm hung up on them being a "punk" band, because I don't like their punk albums. Like I said before, listening to the three punk albums they did will literally give me a headache today. I don't like how it sounds. At all. So I like Black Sails in the Sunset and Art of Drowning. I might have actually liked Sing the Sorrow if I hadn't thrown a bitch fit ten years ago (wtf, really? ten years?...) and brainwashed myself into loathing what they had become. "omg selloutz" doesn't even begin to describe how it made me feel. It was like my first serious girlfriend (we'll call her Havey Davok) broke up with me, told the whole school about my small wiener, and started handing out fliers for a mass Havey Davok gangbang in the cafeteria after school - BYOL (lube lol), must have a penis bigger than my effeminate ex-boyfriend.

I'd like to say that now that I'm older, I can give it another shot and have an unbiased opinion of it. But I think that's incorrect. I'd end up murdering my family or something from too much repressed emotion spilling out. Hot water burn baby.
    Last edited by Isolated Fury; 04-24-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

AFI evolved into different shit at the same time my musical tastes were starting to evolve into different shit, and we happened to match up. It's like I couldn't get away from them.

"A Single Second" is solid gold.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Holy shit, IF, you liked two out of five albums by a band and they were your number one, all-time, super-duper, favorite band ever?? Dang... music must be really disappointing for you

I'm not going to lie, I like Death of Seasons. bum-bum bumbumbum bum-bumbum bumbum OOOOOF LATE, IT'S HHHAAAARDER, JUUUUUST TO. GO. OUT. SIDE. AND LEEEEEEAVE. THIS DEAD SPACE. Then the whole ridiculous electronic bit in the middle.
    You basically just explained why I can't stand that song. lol.

Heh, I really like Miss Murder - it's one of the only songs on Decemberunderground I can tolerate. However, it's not nearly as good as a great chunk of their songs, and those people are morons (unless Decemberunderground is the only album they've heard).

I did listen to a little bit of Blaqk Audio a few weeks ago, and I listened to them a lot when Cex Cells came out. I'm still not really sure why.
    I can't listen to that whole album all the way through, but there are some seriously good songs on it (like Stiff Kittens and Bitt\esn
    ter for Sweet).

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    "Post-AOD AFI" only sucks if you're hung up about their being a "punk" band. STS was kind of like Americana was for the Offspring. Whether it was their best collection of songs is debatable, but it's their most cohesive album and awesome to listen to from start to finish.
    I'd say STS is more like Smash was for the Offspring. STS is definitely their most cohesive album, though. I have to admit, also, that for me it's easier to get into that album because the titles actually easily match the songs. I love Black Sails, but to this day, I can't remember song titles. I mean, while writing this, I was like, "What's my favorite song on the album? I know it's a slower one... it's track 6, I think..." Took me a few minutes to remember that it's called Clove Smoke Catharsis, and the name of it doesn't help me think of how it goes. But song titles on STS are actually part of the song and easy to remember, and when I think of the name, I can remember how the song goes. That's important to me when getting into an album.

In other news, I like Crashlove, despite its dumb name. Decemberunderground is the only AFI album that I've never had on my mp3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Id definitely say that early AFI is better;that said STS is pretty good and even Decemberunderground has its moments. Crash love was pretty boring though.
    Depends on what you mean by "early". Personally, I'd call Answer That, Very Proud of Ya, and Shut Your Mouth to be "early"; Black Sails, Art of Drowning, All Hallow's, and STS (though STS is a buffer between this group and the "new" stuff - though it was much more mainstream than its predecessors, it sounds a lot more like them than it does DU or Crashlove) to be "middle", and Decemberunderground and Crashlove to be "new". If you mean "early" as in "early", then I have to disagree... I can hardly listen to any of those first three albums. A song here and there is cool, but god, those albums sounded the same the entire way through. If by "early" you meant the middle group, then I would definitely agree. AFI in their golden days... while I enjoy Crashlove, nothing they've done since STS (or surely will ever do again) could possibly get me as excited as Black Sails to STS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    Holy shit, IF, you liked two out of five albums by a band and they were your number one, all-time, super-duper, favorite band ever?? Dang... music must be really disappointing for you
    I knew someone would say that. Big surprise that it's you!

I actually loved the old punk stuff back in the day. LOVED it. I'm saying that I can't stand it now. It makes me feel like an old fuck to say this, but it just sounds like confusing noise to me anymore. Hahaha. But, say, ten years ago, I couldn't get enough of it. I genuinely wanted to make sweet, sweet love to all of their albums. Until Sing the Sorrow...
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post

Depends on what you mean by "early". Personally, I'd call Answer That, Very Proud of Ya, and Shut Your Mouth to be "early"; Black Sails, Art of Drowning, All Hallow's, and STS (though STS is a buffer between this group and the "new" stuff - though it was much more mainstream than its predecessors, it sounds a lot more like them than it does DU or Crashlove) to be "middle", and Decemberunderground and Crashlove to be "new". If you mean "early" as in "early", then I have to disagree... I can hardly listen to any of those first three albums. A song here and there is cool, but god, those albums sounded the same the entire way through. If by "early" you meant the middle group, then I would definitely agree. AFI in their golden days... while I enjoy Crashlove, nothing they've done since STS (or surely will ever do again) could possibly get me as excited as Black Sails to STS.
    While Black Sails and Art of Drowning are the best albums they made, I really like Very Proud of Ya. He Who Laughs Last is a great opening for an album. I can see how people find the album a bit long. 20 songs is a bit much to swallow and differentiate during the first listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.