Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Justin Biber or: How I Learned to Stop Obsessing Over Music Created for Preteen Girls

The Offspring are a great easy way to get into music. They've got good melodies, high energy, and just enough influence of older, maybe cooler bands, that you can spend time looking into those bands. They were my favorite band from 7th grade through 9th grade. In 9th grade, I discovered The Clash, and then I just went on a real musical journey.

I really believe that anyone can get into any type of music if it's legitimately good, if they want to, and if they have the energy to put in the time for it. People often say "oh, that's just not my style of music." I get away with it sometimes, but usually it just requires a little more effort to get past something ugly or jangly or weird. Sometimes I like pushing the boundaries a little too fast and picking something truly bizarre to send to people.

With that being said, everyone now needs to give Mamaleek another shot, or I'll break all your arms and you might they're your new favorite band.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that my favorite Modest Mouse song is Trailer Trash because it's fucking beautiful and fucking heartbreaking and fucking amazing.
    Last edited by coke_a_holic; 04-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    It does sound like you have a LOT of time to listen to music, though! You said before that sometimes you "only" listen to half an Offspring album in a day, which means you often listen to a full album, and that only makes up 40% of what you listen to - pretty impressive. I wish I still had time to listen to so much music each day! I usually get an album in on my way too and from work on the bus, and a bit more on the weekends...
    Yeah I usually have some sort of mp3 player or computer with me. I play music with practically everything I do at home when I'm all alone.

I don't know why I spend so much time listening to the Offspring. I never seem to get tired of their music. It's the only band I've been able to do that with.

I usually fit anywhere from 2-4 albums into my schedule a day. Yesterday I listened to 6 I think. Only one of those was an Offspring album, although one was the Vitamin String Quartet tribute to The Offspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

I actually liked that Mamaleek song.

llamas, I know you were in band and stuff, so it may not be true for you, but I definitely listened to just a couple bands when I was in like 6th-9th grade. What KickHim is saying sounds pretty close to how I was at that age, and I'm not sure how old he is, but I justk ind of assumed he was in that age group.

I wish pop bands did a better job of constructing albums. I've said it before, but if all of Katy Perry's songs were as good as her albums, I'd listen to the shit out of that.

Someone played Gonna Go Far Kid at my party the other night, I sang all the words while we played beer pong and one other frind and I laughed at how ridiculous the Offspring are. It's so weird to me to run into people who casually listen to the Offspring and all I can think is 'they have nooooo fucking idea'.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    llamas, I know you were in band and stuff, so it may not be true for you, but I definitely listened to just a couple bands when I was in like 6th-9th grade.
    Pfffff, being in band had zero effect on my god-awful taste in music. I didn't start to have any non-shitty taste until I was 13, and it was still pretty shitty... but at least I loved Alanis (and shut up I still think Cher and Eve 6 were pretty good). 9th grade was when I discovered the Offspring... but I never listened to only one or two band. Nor did my sister or brother. So I dunno how common this is...

What KickHim is saying sounds pretty close to how I was at that age, and I'm not sure how old he is, but I justk ind of assumed he was in that age group.
    Ooh KickHim might not like this... but KickHim, are you in that age group?

I'd listen to the shit out of that.
    I don't think that saying quite works with "listen to" But I agree, and feel the same way about Rihanna's "older" stuff (as in the album with Shut Up and Drive, and Umbrella, and SOS - I'm aware that's two different albums. Both should've been better.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

There's been a few instances where I've seriously contemplated picking up the newest Beyonce or Rihanna CD. I'll eventually buy one of them probably.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Semi-related: I've never heard anyone say YOLO in a non-mocking way. I have no idea what goes through these people mind that makes them think 'holy shit, this is fucking annoying, it's my duty to make sure the population of people who see this annoying shit needs to increase exponentially'
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    Semi-related: I've never heard anyone say YOLO in a non-mocking way. I have no idea what goes through these people mind that makes them think 'holy shit, this is fucking annoying, it's my duty to make sure the population of people who see this annoying shit needs to increase exponentially'
    What's YOLO?

What's YOLO?
    Long answer: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yolo

Short answer: retarded; don't waste your time
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Okay, that's the definition I got when I googled it... I just don't understand pilz's post, then. Like, people post YOLO on Justin Bieber videos as explanation as to why people should listen to them? I somehow majorly missed a connection here.

Okay, that's the definition I got when I googled it... I just don't understand pilz's post, then. Like, people post YOLO on Justin Bieber videos as explanation as to why people should listen to them? I somehow majorly missed a connection here.
    That's why people constantly complain about them. You've got brain dead people out there that throw YOLO into whatever they're writing simply because they know it's a popular thing to do. They're not thinking about whether or not it makes sense. "man i really liek when ppl hold elevader doors 4 u #warmfuzzyfeelin #YOLO" Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Then there's the other side to it all. The people that make it a point to bitch about other people using YOLO. They get way too bent out of shape over it - like it ruins their entire news feeds or something. Instead of moving on and ignoring it, they throw a bitch-fit which, ultimately, gets the YOLOer's attention and influences the YOLOer to post more YOLO tweets/posts/"insert random social media word for communication here." It's really a vicious cycle, and the only person getting hurt or pissed is the idiot that overreacts to the original YOLOing.

I think that's what you're getting at, PilZ-E.
    I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.