View Poll Results: Was recording Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk) a good idea?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 65.42%
  • No

37 34.58%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Cruising California be a hit?

Default Will Cruising California be a hit?

I feel like this should be it's own thread.

A point that can't be ignored: Even people that know next to nothing about The Offspring have GOT to know that Dexter is at least well into his 40s just based on how long The Offspring have been around. That's not going to sit well with the target audience that this song needs to catch on with in order to be successful. Especially since a lot of this kind of music is based on the imagery associated with being young and partying.

I think this song would be a lot more successful if they just made it the same sort of thing, but made it sound like an actual Offspring song. For example, YGGFK or WDYGAJ sound like a lot of the music that was (and still is) popular, but they have a distinct Offspring sound to them as well. This song just sounds like a 100% attempt at sounding like all the other radio pop that's out there.

Oh yeah, and as for how well I think the song will do commercially: I'd say it's catchy enough that radio stations will at least give it a try for a little while, but it will fall off the charts pretty quickly. A minor hit that falls well short of the mark.
    Last edited by bighead384; 04-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Since it's the first single in Australia, but not in the US or Europe, no. I don't think it will be. If it was the first single all over the world, I'd expect it to be a hit... but they're releasing Days Go By in the US and Europe, and I don't think that one will fair as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I think it could be a summer plague (sommarplåga in Swedish) if they would make a good for MTV video for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    LOL!! Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    lolz, jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan für den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right

I hate it, but to be honest, this is the only song in years that I can expect to be played on radio here in Portugal. If they release it in summer I can see it being played all over the beaches.
    I am not another The Offspring fan but just THE Offspring FAN !

Dexter Holland - "Which one of you goes by the screen name of RonWelty?"

It's like wildfire, dude. It cannot be stopped!

If it gets released as a single in North America I think it has the potential to do fairly well especially if it's accompanied by a well made/satirical video.

It's going to depend on how people interpret the song. It may end up being dismissed as "just another party song about California" or it could be seen as something that is at the zeitgeist of satirizing contemporary pop culture, like what Pretty Fly did to white-boy "gangsters".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

The song is damn catchy. It got stuck in my head instantly. I think it has the potential to become pretty huge, even if for all the wrong reasons.
    And if this post offends you, just don't read it...

I completely agree with bighead. People who listen to pop music aren't stupid, no matter how much people believe them to be. I think their age is gonna kill it.

That said, it's a catchy enough song to be a minor hit anyway.

I really think they should have gone with a different angle lyrically. People are good at picking up on when bands are insincere, i.e., singing about stuff that's totally unrelatable to them. I know that Dexter doesn't like writing autobiographical lyrics, but still, wouldn't it be cool if it was a shout-out to the 80s-90s punk culture of Orange County in the style of a Katy Perry pop song? That would be awesome and it would actually be funny. Rap about fighting with skinheads, skateboarding, and vandalism at Huntington Beach! And yet, keep the style exactly the same! Sure, the lyrics wouldn't be relevant today and it might be less likely to be a hit, but I think a lot of people would have appreciated the sincerity and the irony of it. Shit, now I'm mad that they didn't do this. I mean, I guess there's a Ramones quote, sorta ("Hey, ho, let's go!") but as it is, it's basically a Katy Perry song by the Offspring.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 04-30-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

NO no NO NO no no

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    I really think they should have gone with a different angle lyrically. People are good at picking up on when bands are insincere, i.e., singing about stuff that's totally unrelatable to them. I know that Dexter doesn't like writing autobiographical lyrics, but still, wouldn't it be cool if it was a shout-out to the 80s-90s punk culture of Orange County in the style of a Katy Perry pop song? That would be awesome and it would actually be funny. Rap about fighting with skinheads, skateboarding, and vandalism at Huntington Beach! And yet, keep the style exactly the same! Sure, the lyrics wouldn't be relevant today and it might be less likely to be a hit, but I think a lot of people would have appreciated the sincerity and the irony of it. Shit, now I'm mad that they didn't do this. I mean, I guess there's a Ramones quote, sorta ("Hey, ho, let's go!") but as it is, it's basically a Katy Perry song by the Offspring.
    Couldn't agree more with all of this. The Katy Perry style mets punk references in particular sounds like it could have been a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.