Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BBS Mixtape Volume VII: Chinese Democracy

I'm glad you did this, coke. Reminded me to get my butt in gear. Let's do this thang, guys! Quoting what I've already written, and might add to these. We'll see. PS: Mike, I like that you appreciated some of the track ordering I used :-) It was hard to find a place to put the dubstep track, and it was very deliberately placed after Ragnarok. And I definitely thought Roberta was the best opener. I also thought your song made for a fairly epic closer (minus bonus cover tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    1. Roberta - Manic Subsidal

Well, the trumpet solo is my favorite part, for sure. But I like this whole song!! I'd never heard your music before, I don't think, but I like it! This song is a great time. Just a fun, upbeat tune with galloping, cool guitar licks, a nice melody, and of course a pretty trumpet solo :-) What do you do in the band? Or is it all you? I give it a 9/10.
    I seriously love this song. Fake instruments have come a long way. It's hard to tell the trumpet's not real - you can still tell, but it's hard to identify.

2. Philosophy - Ricetigers

I don't remember the last track I heard from you, but your skills at recording and mixing have come a LONG way. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about your singing - it's just kinda not my bag - so the song isn't my favorite, but for a kind of punk rocker with deep vocals, it works very well! The guitar parts are well-done, by all means! Props, dude! If I remember correctly, you sing and play guitar? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong all together ;-) Anyway, 7.5/10!
    I love the short guitar intro to this song. I dunno, it just works.

3. Dying Corpse - ThunderPX

This song honestly reminds me of some of Thibault's old stuff, but without the electronic parts and the breakdowns - and heavier overall. The programmed drums of course aren't doing any favors, but I understand, I've been there, there's no other option! I think this song is nice for what it is, but because there's no vocals, there are points in it where it kinda drags and I feel like there could be more going on. However, it showcases a decent set of guitar skills. It feels sometimes like instead of resolving the notes in a way that'd sound really nice, you went for something complicated and crazy instead, which kinda the song. I like your other song better, to be honest, but this song has definite potential! 6.5/10
    Growl vocals would kick ass in this song. Coke is so right.

4. Arrested Development + Rise - Against Belief

A lot of people here love your brand of hard-hitting punk, and I totally get why. It's not my thing, but it's well-done - you always deliver the rock! The sound is very, very good, and the song(s) is/are very cohesive. For my ears, however, it's pretty standard punk, and there's nothing particularly new here for me. I think I'd enjoy it if you took your recording skill and talent for putting together a strong, cohesive song, and mix in a dash of creativity! Mix it up a bit... I dunno, that's just me, though ;-) 7/10
    I def like how the first song rolls into the next here. Cool way to combine songs. I also like Rise more than Arrested Development. The harmonies in Rise are very cool at points.

5. Space Ranger - Random Goods

I think your melodies are the hardest part for me to enjoy in your songs. Your lyrics have improved, and the music overall has significantly improved. The song itself is nice, if not a bit dragging after a while... though I do like the bridge part with the distorted guitars. I think this song would go a long way with a little extra mixed in. A lot of it is just the same beat and guitar line with you singing. I know you said you would've added in more if we'd delayed it a week, so I'm actually curious about what you would've added - will you do it anyway and upload it later? :-) 6.5/10
    Ryder, looking forward to hearing your new stuff Maybe there will be another Mixtape someday ;-) You've definitely improved since "Save the Day", which is really cool.

6. Ragnarok - Thibault Kervarech

This song would blow me away if it were done with live instruments. The arrangement is very nice, very deep. The strings don't sound *too* bad (those worse in higher registers), but that horn is painfully fake (it's so fake, it's hard to tell which kind of horn it's supposed to be). Because of this, the song actually improves for me once it embraces that it's an electronic song. The transition is awkward, but I really love the part around 4:00 minutes. Once that part starts, the song hits its stride - especially as it goes into the electro attack. After 6 minutes, it just kicks ass. I appreciate your skill for arranging and writing harmonies, but I definitely like your music most as an electronica-with-electric-guitar thing. 8.5/10

7. The Fackin' Gov'na - Allin All

Yeah, it's dub step... what can I say? Considering it's dub step and I don't care for dub step, it's pretty good. What I mean there is that this is more tolerable than a lot of what I've heard (Skrillez? Barf.) It has some nice parts, too. The softer parts like after 2:30 and the beginning are definitely nice. I'm sorry, though... it's just totally outside my taste. I can respect it for what it is, though. It's definitely not bad; I just don't care for it. 6/10

8. Watching Waves - Ciaran Lyttle

So chill. So, so very chill. This one took me a few listens to like, I have to admit, but now I really dig it. I agree with Mike that the added effects/sounds are nice. The simple drums work great here, too. Bit short, felt like it could've gone somewhere... probably my only gripe. Moar, plz! 9/10

9. 9 Crimes - me and lost, yo

Yeah, so like 3 years ago? Lost and I covered this Damien Rice song. I had a shitty keyboard from the 80s which had no sounds preloaded, so you had to insert and load sounds from floppy disks, and it had no internal speakers, so I had it plugged into an equally old, giant amp. I did the piano part and the fake strings with that keyboard. I'd have liked for the string parts to have been richer and fuller, plus they're a bit out of sync... and hell yeah I wish I had a real piano! But I enjoyed doing this with Karin. I like how our voices work together in the song. I really miss music in my life :-(
    so gh3y/10

10. The Osiris Myth - Thibault Kervarich

This song starts out as something I'd never have expected from you... and then it goes into the chorus Very strange, very interesting. I still have a hard time with your singing voice, so that's a bit of a set-back for me... the synth breakdown is AWESOME, though. And I love the feel of the verses. I can't think right now of the word to describe that kinda rhythm, but it's great. The soft breakdown is really nice, too, with the keyboard and hi-hat (fake :-D) drums. 8/10

11. I Stole This Riff - Jim T

Yup, I love the riff. I love the melody. I love this whole song. I agree with Mike about the lyrics, but it's cool cause I'm not a lyric person at all. I like your voice, as well. The melodica solo owns everything. Well, when I went through the list of songs you sent me, this one immediately stood out to me. You're good, man. Besides the lyrics, the only other part that's rough is the falsetto. But props for trying it! Falsetto is super hard to pull off. 9.5/10

12. Victory (With a Capital Y) - T3

I. Like. Your. Music. I've liked all your songs since Underdog (still love that song), and you've only improved. You remind me of a lot of the good things about Green Day. You're a one-man-band, right? I love those scream background vocals during the chorus. It's a bit repetitive, but it doesn't even matter cause it's just good. The guitar solo just works, too. Nothing fancy or crazy, just what the song calls for. Great way to end the song. 9.5/10

13. Little Space Kid - Random Goods

You're first and foremost a bassist, right? More of a bassist than guitarist? If not, you should be. I love it when you focus on cool bass stuff like the intro to this song. Gotta admit, this song is much nicer than the other one. Love the whole intro. I agree with Mike that you need to just rock your voice out. I still sense so much inhibition and shyness, and the melody here is decent - if you just belted it out, it'd sound killer. I like the falsetto here, too. I recall another of your songs having this, as well, but this one definitely has slight hints of RHCP to it. Very cool. 8/10

14. Velouria - The Rosa Mystica

Now that Mike mentions it, this song DOES sound totally 90s! I can't remember, is it a cover? Your voice is nice... and so is the chorus. I like the ah-ah-ah-ah's ;-) This song is very good in terms of musicianship, but it's kinda boring in terms of structure. Fairly repetitive and overly subtle. Could've used a bit more oomph, especially considering it's 4 minutes long! 7/10

15. Canadiens - Primary Tones

Fuck you. Don't even pretend that you're not writing songs like this anymore. And stop it with the "it's bad cause I was sick" excuses. Seriously, fuck you. I love this song. Seriously probably the best song you've submitted to the mixtapes. I adore that guitar riff in the intro that comes back throughout. Also, OH WE JUST. CAN'T LIVE. LIKE THIS. Fuck yeah. No offense to anyone else who submitted, but this is the best song on the mix. And bty, your singing has improved. Or maybe I'm just used to it by now ;-) I fucking love that part where the guitars start going crazy and loud and then it all just shuts the fuck up and you just can't live like this. And then the awesome riff comes back. And that touch of female vocals adds so, so much to this song. And then the badass ending of the song with awesome guitar. Rock out. I'm gonna stop here cause I'm rambling. 10/10

That's the end of the album for me. I don't review the bonus songs, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Nicely done, Mike. I was pretty much waiting for someone else to bite the bullet first, I'll do my review right the fuck now too.

Prepare for a really fucking massive wall of text.

1. Roberta - JimT
    Hey, way to set the bar really high at the very start of the album, jerk!
    This is fantastic. Seriously. I normally really struggle to get into foreign language music, but of all the tracks on the mixtape, this is probably the one I've listened to the most. Really really awesome instrumentation man. Great sound, and the trumpet part holy shit dude. Amazing. Needs to be in a Spaghetti Western with a bunch of cowboys shooting it out against the law. Very strange that I should hear this at this time, because I'm making a track with a very similar feel right now.
    8.5/10

2. Philosophy - Ricetigers.
    I think I said this before about you guys, but it's very Bad Religion, very straight punk rock, and musically very well done. I feel like I say this too much to people on here, but if these vocals just had a little bit more of a push to them I could really really get into this track. Very Noodlesesque in the S/T album in the guitar solo
    6.5/10

3.Dying Corpse - ThunderPX.
    So, did you steal this riff from a Super Nintendo game from the early 90's? Because it sounds very very very similar to one. Or is it actually a cover of it? I can't recall what it is. This is great though the guitar tone is perfectly suited to this style. Very evil sounding. I feel like the second half of the song - the guitar solo, could have used a little more direction rather than just noodling, but it works well.
    7/10

4. Arrested Development - Against Belief.
    Bad Religion Bad Religion Bad Religion Bad Religionetcetc.
    But hey that's no bad thing, this is pretty well put together man. Like Mike said though I was really hoping for some Arrested Development reference. Come On! Seriously though, really solid punk rock, very tight band.
    tru/10.

5.Space Ranger - Random Goods.
    Very cool groove on the bass throughout. What were you using for the percussion? The cymbals sound very nice. Again the only issue I have with this track is the vocals, you just need to scream it out man, it'll sound better. The guitar tone had a really great droney ambiance. Very nice.
    6/10

6.Ragnarok - Thibault.
    Hey, Thi. Stop making the best song on the mixtape just once would you? Seriously give the rest of us a chance. Man, you know you're my favourite mixtape submission every single time, and this is no different. This goes from having shades of Moonlight Sonata to sounding like Muse rocking out on ecstasy. Those strings, those synths. Those fucking strings and fucking synths. Jesus...fucking...fughghh so fucking good. Seriously. Fantastic work. Jesus Christ that ending. AGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    9.5/10

7. The Fackin' Gov'na - Allinallit'snotsobad.
    I think you need to submit this track to Namco Bandai, because it sounds *exactly* like something you would here in the final boss fight of a Tekken game, like really evil techno or something, at least for the first little section. I can't honestly say I like this kind of music, but whatever instrument that is that's playing what sounds like a really evil organ is really cool.
    rating this objectively I'd give it a 7 as it's really well done, but in terms of my own taste I couldn't get into this style of music.

8. Watching Waves - mrconeman.
    So yeah, that's my track. This is mainly inspired from two places, the soundtrack to the 90's rpg game Suikoden which had the most amazingly relaxing little tunes playing in seaside villages. And then the song "Fluff" by Black Sabbath. I just thought it was really awesome that a really heavy band like Sabbath could write a beautiful peice of music for the acoustic guitar and piano. So I thought since I'm normally a little more rock and roll/loud electric solos, I'd try something peaceful. There it is.
    me/10.

9. 9 Crimes - Brianna, and Lost.
    WHAT IF GODDDD WAS ONEEEE OF USSSSSS, JUST A SLOBBB LIKE ONE OF USSSSSS.
    Seriously though, you guys can sing. I think I remember hearing this a long time ago? Is this a new version? I really dig it though. Very very emotive singing throughout the entirety from the both of you. There's also a really nice hook that makes my ear want to keep listening at the "Is that alright" lyric everytime. You guys should totally collaborate more often (is Lost even a member anymore?). I dig how you made this number 9 on this mixtape. It could do with a better sounding piano, but other than that it's pretty great. I like how your voices play off each other.
    8/10.

10. The Osiris Myth - Thibault.
    You should totally sing more. Not that your instrumentals aren't pretty much the greatest things ever, but this is really really cool, man. Very 60's vibe to it, I can hear like The Doors and everything in here. Are you using a semi-hollow body guitar at the start? The tone is fantastic. Amazing synth lines again, you are fucking brilliant at synth lines. Can we start a band or something? I can dig this even more than the last, it has those amazing Thibault instrumental sections, but also the really cool vibe in the verses.
    10/10

11. I stole this riff - JimT.
    This is a really nice sounding riff This should have been a hit in the 90's. Haha I also really dig how it starts way up high and goes way down low. I also dug the lyrics. I actually even laughed a couple times. "The band probably stole it before I did." Haha. Very nice work man. Falsetto suits you.
    8.5/10

12. Victory - T3.
    The guitars in this song are very early Greenday sounding. Very cool tone. I can't really think of much to say about this other than it's very ear friendly. It's very very Greenday, which from me is a compliment. You could totally put this on the Warning album and it would fit right in. It has that happy yet melancholy sound Greenday used to be really good at.
    8/10

13. Little Space Kids - Random Goods.
    This sounds a little like a band I really like called Ash from Ireland. I can definitely dig this. Like Mike said there's a few dead notes but it kind of adds to the feel. This reminds me of like David Bowie, meets The Smashing Pumpkins meets Ash. Really cool man. Just a little more balls on the vocals and it would be great.
    7.5/10

14. Velouria - The Rosa Mystica.
    I really don't like the Pixies, so that's working to this songs detriment. But it definitely sounds like the Pixies, so if you were setting out to cover this song just like the original, good job. I don't feel qualified to give it a number, it wouldn't be fair. Everything's in time, the instruments are well played, and the singing is very suitable.
    pixies/10.

15.Primary Tones - Canadiens
    That opening riff is straight up beautiful. This is pretty much my favourite thing that I've ever heard from you. I can hear like...the Mountain Goats? Great song man. Even your voice having that croakyness to it just adds to the emotive feel of the song. I really dig this. Whatever way that guitar was recorded is cool, perfect for the song. A few little timing issues from the drums, but when the electric guitar kicks in I don't even care anymore. Also very nice harmonies from the girl voice.
    8.5/10

16. Dr. Wily Stage 2 - Homer.
    Yes. I love video game rock. This takes more of a punk approach than the usual heavy metal approach too, so it makes it stand out a little. I'm not hugely familiar with Megaman apart from a few more obvious themes, but it sounds exactly like what I'd want to hear in a Megaman game. I really dig how the two lead guitars play off of each other. The build up just makes me want to dance around on the internet in my underwear with flashing lights (ololol).

17. The Castle Street Crowbars - Wilderness (from Golden Axe)
    So this is me again, only this time it has my friend on bass. We fucking love Golden Axe so we decided we're pretty much going to cover the entire soundtrack from the game, we have two done so far, this was the first. I don't really like the drums in this one anymore, other than that I'm quite proud of it. People who aren't familiar with the game might find the screams to be out of time or whatever, but they're supposed to be. The Sega Genesis couldn't play music and voice at the same time in this game, so the music stopped completely when you killed someone, it should be nostalgic for anyone who played the game. Also, we shot a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUBv4Tdxs3A
    Genesis/10.

18. Chinese Democracy - Static_Martyr
    Hahahaha. I don't want to write anything more specific incase I spoil it for anyone, but man when I realised what was going on I almost choked on laughter.
    trololololololol/10.

There, now everyone else better fucking review this thing, because it's awesome.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Hahaha, I like how me and Brianna wrote our reviews at the exact same time, and said basically the exact same thing.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

okay so before this gets out of hand

Yes, both of my songs are covers
    My new album "Carnival of Monsters" is out now! Go listen to it and post in the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDude View Post
    Enough is enough. If you don't stop, I will stab you all to death! Now get the fuck outta here!

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    is Lost even a member anymore?
    I lurk occasionally. Been starting to post again lately though. This is the first month that I have had both the internet and a working computer in two years. I didn't even know Brianna put this song on here.

I guess I have to download this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    Hahaha, I like how me and Brianna wrote our reviews at the exact same time, and said basically the exact same thing.
    We are awesome. That's all there is to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPX View Post
    okay so before this gets out of hand

Yes, both of my songs are covers
    Whoa, sorry, bro... Coneman directly addressed the fact that he recognized them as covers, Coke couldn't have known they were, and I forgot since I got so many submissions that I couldn't remember what was a cover and what wasn't. Sorry we gave you feedback... we won't talk about them anymore :-S

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    I lurk occasionally. Been starting to post again lately though. This is the first month that I have had both the internet and a working computer in two years. I didn't even know Brianna put this song on here.

I guess I have to download this thing.
    I actually thought a few times I should tell you I included this, but I kept forgetting! I'm glad you came across this thread, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I didn't mean to come off as mad. It's just that I mentioned it several times but people apparently didn't see it. And then I got accused of stealing. Sorry I had to use Jojan-sized text to make sure everyone knew what was up
    My new album "Carnival of Monsters" is out now! Go listen to it and post in the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDude View Post
    Enough is enough. If you don't stop, I will stab you all to death! Now get the fuck outta here!

I find the response to this so far pretty awesome. I will definitely write a review. In the meantime, since this is likely our last mixtape, I would challenge some of the longtime BBS contributors and even GOD members to give it a listen and a review. It can't hurt.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Thanks for the great responses to Canadiens, guys, it really means a lot to me. It's clear that everyone is really working as hard as possible on their songcraft, and, to me, that's fucking awesome.

On the recording, I did the guitars, bass, and, obv, lead vocals. I had my friend/bandmate/collaborator from Atlas do the drums, one of the lead guitars, and a good amount of the backing vocals. My girlfriend did the female backing vocals (she's awesome), and a lot of friends did the backing vocals with me for the yelling part. I recorded it in my friend's dad's house with one microphone.

When I say I don't want to write songs like this anymore, I don't necessarily mean sad songs, I just mean straightforward ones. This song came out exactly the way that I wanted it to, but I'm ready to start getting really experimental with the way that I work on songs. My band is about to record a 4 song EP (none of which are songs that I wrote, but I'm so proud of them), I'll post it here when it's done and then you'll see what I mean. It's gonna get weird.

This was pretty great, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers