Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Very bad review of CC by LA TIMES ...

I love why dont you get a job, pretty fly and most jokey songs. The offspring are very topical writers - white guy tries to act ghetto etc. I think their critique or joke in this song is lost because it is just another example of what you're talking about. It's like a painter painting a picture of a photographer photographing the homeless... Is the painter any better?

What is more sad is that those negative reviews might affect a lot of neutral people who will first read about it, then hear it and automatically dislike it. And maybe even join the complaining bandwagon in the comments and try to come up with the most witty-sarcastic remark on how this song sucks just to fit in and gain some respect in an internet community. Way to go, fucking posers with no opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

I really think people need to get a life. So they made a pop song (which still isn't that different from Pretty Fly or Original Prankster), so fucking what? "oh my god a band made a different song, let me go write horrible things about them on the newspaper for everyone in the world to see."

Get a life. Yes this pisses me off.
    "Noodles, the man who put the O in Obrigado." - Dexter Holland

"You're a sexy fucking audience!" - Noodles

"It is the power of music, to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice, it is like hypnotism." -Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    "oh my god a band made a different song, let me go write horrible things about them on the newspaper for everyone in the world to see."
    Well I mean, that's kinda what they're supposed to do. They get paid to review songs and albums and whatnot. If you've already made up your mind, then you're not the intended audience. Not everyone can like the same things you like. And so what if it turns people away? Does that really matter? The band and the song still exist regardless of reviews, so you can still listen to your heart's content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

I love this band and almost every song they've ever done, but if I worked for the LA Times and was assigned to review this song, I'd have to give it a negative write-up. Now, I wouldn't make fun of the band like they do in this article, but I couldn't seriously give a positive review to this song just because I want to.

I dont give a damn what they said in LA times.

This song marks a major departure for the band. Whether you like what they did with this song or not, I think it's to be expected that there's going to be some blowback from music critics. And that's okay. Chances are what these critics are writing isn't going to change your mind regardless of what side of the fence you're on when it comes to this song.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

It just seems that they consistently pick the worst songs to release as singles for the past several albums. It is almost like they people want to think they are a goofy ass little pop band instead of anything punk. Cause like it or not, it seems like that is what they have turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    Well I mean, that's kinda what they're supposed to do. They get paid to review songs and albums and whatnot. If you've already made up your mind, then you're not the intended audience. Not everyone can like the same things you like. And so what if it turns people away? Does that really matter? The band and the song still exist regardless of reviews, so you can still listen to your heart's content.
    It might be their "job", but what I don't like is the fact that they ignore every single possibility of why this song was written, and also disregard every other awesome song the band has written throughout the years. That's the thing, you see much more negative reviews about anything than you do see positive ones.

Like you said, if people turn away and whatever, doesn't matter. But I hate seeing people saying bad stuff about my favorite band. I mean I took a while to get used to this song, and of course I was shocked when I first heard it, but that's it for me. They're still an awesome band with awesome songs, and they have this one song, which is as I find myself arguing all the time, not different than Pretty Fly. CC is a more modern version of Pretty Fly.

Anyway, really no use in saying so much. These days, saying something bad about anything has a bigger effect than saying something good. So someone suddenly saying this much negativity just because of ONE song out of more than 100 songs, pisses me off.

A band is not defined by their new single. It's defined by their history and their shows.

"It is the power of music, to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice, it is like hypnotism." -Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    It just seems that they consistently pick the worst songs to release as singles for the past several albums. It is almost like they people want to think they are a goofy ass little pop band instead of anything punk. Cause like it or not, it seems like that is what they have turned into.
    They don't always choose the single. It probably has more to do with their management, since they need to pick the songs that MOST people will enjoy, and not just the hardcore punk fans. Trust In You is an awesome song, but would never be successful as a single to the majority of people.