Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Issue with our moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Manic subsidaI View Post
    You're saying it's obvious that we shouldn't discuss and share album leaks on this website... but how come so many people did it? Not just "junior members" but people that have been on here for a while. I think next time (hopefully a next time) when offspring gets close to releasing a new album, some clear warnings on this board like even a sticky note would help prevent people from doing what happened today. Less work for the moderators too :P
    Because some people are jerks. At one point today, 27 people were on a temp ban at once -- a new record. Yours was the first complaint. I don't want to get crazy and say everyone who engaged in the leaking had some self-awareness that there would be consequences on the forum for that, but I'm sure that was the case for a lot of them.

No amount of sticky notes would have prevented what we saw this morning, pretty sure. The warnings were pretty clear in advance, and this is the second album cycle where leaks have been dealt with in this manner.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Actually, my first suggestion with having the warning message on the reply/create thread page would be a lot more effective than the sticky note.. at least from what I've seen on other message boards regarding similar things. I'm not sure if vbulletin allows you to tweak around that page, but if you could.. people might think twice before hitting "post" if they saw a reminder right below the submit button saying "Any sharing/requesting album leaks will result in a ban"

make it bold red, font size 40, flashing seizure text animation, etc. Let's get all metallica here lmao.

Jesus guys, I was one of the temporarily banned users too, but I can understand the situation. I mean, that thread gained pages incredibly quickly, right, so there was a lot of stuff to go through, and some of us just got caught in the middle. Besides, it was a temp ban only, we didn't recieve any official warnings, no harm done.

Come on, don't cause unneccessary fuss about something that is actually pretty funny, if you think about it (all the mess, and the sheer quantity of banned members,...). Why not rather joke about it? I mean, you can tell your grandchildren in a few decades that "this was the album that got their rebellious old grandpa banned!"

At least this is how I'm looking at the things

well imo and i'm not gonna say anything else about it,they didn't haddled it so correct.the best they should have done was to bann just the guys who open threads like that and close the threads. and open a thread to explain us and make all this clear without misunderstandings. peace and love for mods
    www.theoffspring.eu unofficial european fanclub with the most completed discography and thousands of live downloads

Isti: your pic with dex and greg is just epic

Well, Tijs opened a thread in this section of the forum, "regarding the recent bans" or something like that. You guys are taking it well, but I don't think eveyone will.

Oh, and to make The Great Banning of '12 even funnier, soon after it occured the official stream of the album was posted

Come on, it's not that big a deal. I was banned too for a couple of hours for posting in that thread (although you're right that I had no idea that would happen), but it was just temporary, and like they explained, pre-emptive, so it's their job anyway. Your Creed prank is classic, though

Exclamation

Linking to Creed should be bannable offense at any time.

Manic Subsidal, your ban has been lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Greekoldfan View Post
    well imo and i'm not gonna say anything else about it,they didn't haddled it so correct.the best they should have done was to bann just the guys who open threads like that and close the threads. and open a thread to explain us and make all this clear without misunderstandings. peace and love for mods
    It is impossible to deal with it so fast, especially if it comes unexpectedly. You were unable to use the forums for 6 hours, 7 tops.

With so many users posting so many posts, it's impossible to review at any given moment each post and see who and who isn't doing something that's not allowed on here. When we got here those threads already exploded with people posting links, asking for links and offering them via PM's and whatnot.

We needed some time to deal with it to judge everyone individually in a fair way.

Once we reviewed all posts as individual posts, and looked at who didn't do anything wrong, we lifted the bans and apologized for what happened to you.
    * !

I was also banned for a couple of hours, and I don't see that it could have been done in any other way. But of course I was surprised to be banned cause I didn't think I had done anything wrong, which 6 hours later was confirmed that I hadn't when my banning was lifted

But I agree with Manic subsidaI that the information about not asking for and spreading the leak could have been clearer. Where are they to read, exactly? I can myself draw the conclusion that one shouldn't post links to leaks, but maybe it's not as obvious to everyone.

It has been said over and over on many threads about the new album. But really, aside from that, it really, REALLY obvious that you cannot post and ask for leaks in their own website. If you can't figureout by yourself it's a bit of your issue too.

The ban thing then has been explained, I was sorry to read some good users were banned, but then the mods explained what really happened.
    A sticky thread about not posting and ask for leaks is like throwing a cigarette over straw and pretending to have a sign that said it woul go on fire...