Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: All days go by reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe Death View Post
    Don't make me laugh. You're talking to a student of argumentation here.

An ad hominem is a fallacy when addressing an argument and claiming that a conclusion is not valid (which is a qualifier in deductive reasoning) from its premises given an irrelevant attack...

8. You're an idiot.

10 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerKT View Post
    10 characters.
    Irrelevant to the form of an argument made by someone else. A fallacy is a form of invalid reasoning. My conclusion of my post "You're an idiot" was a valid one.

Christ, you guys need to get educations.

You guys are way too harsh on Justin Bieber: he's punk as fuck. He makes Henry Rollins look like Donny Osmond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Irrelevant to the form of an argument made by someone else. A fallacy is a form of invalid reasoning. My conclusion of my post "You're an idiot" was a valid one.

Christ, you guys need to get educations.
    You're a cunt. I'm just gonna put you on the ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerKT View Post
    You're a cunt. I'm just gonna put you on the ignore list.
    Atta boy! I suggest everyone does this. Then he can post his opinions (which are, as you all know, the only thing that metters in this universe) all the way he wants. Nobody's gonna read it anyway.

Also, everyone stop quoting his posts. Although I can't see his posts anymore I can still read them when they are quoted, so please try to avoid that.

C'mon guys. Don't just put the guy on your ignore list over one little thing. Of course I haven't learned anything about logic in school (everything I know was learned in my free time), but everything Scythe has said seems valid to me. It's his presentation that is less than desirable. I really love this album, but Scythe has brought up claims that he can easily support that Days Go By is not a masterpiece. My love for the album has gone unaltered. I don't think being slightly rude and making decent points are a good reason to add someone to the ignore list
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    C'mon guys. Don't just put the guy on your ignore list over one little thing. Of course I haven't learned anything about logic in school (everything I know was learned in my free time), but everything Scythe has said seems valid to me. It's his presentation that is less than desirable. I really love this album, but Scythe has brought up claims that he can easily support that Days Go By is not a masterpiece. My love for the album has gone unaltered. I don't think being slightly rude and making decent points are a good reason to add someone to the ignore list
    Agreed. A "warts and all" appreciation for the album says more to me than absolutely loving everything no matter what. It's good to be able to weigh criticism and understand it and still have the same appreciation for the music, maybe even a deeper one. I think this is especially true for a band like the Offspring. It seems like a large percentage of members here have serious persecution complexes because of general criticisms about the band (e.g. threads about defending the band). Granted, I've mocked some of the reviewers that beat on the band, but that's because they were incontrovertible turds.
    Go on now they won‘t tell
    Go on now and save yourself

Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    This isn't just one thing. Trust me, Scythe has always been a dick. And no, the things he said regarding logic are not valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    This isn't just one thing. Trust me, Scythe has always been a dick. And no, the things he said regarding logic are not valid.
    Uhh, wut?

How are they not valid? I'm assuming that you are saying that the argument that I provided about 'how person X is an idiot' is invalid, since that's the only explicit argument I provided which I claimed was valid. You see, the term "valid" is actually a very specific term that qualifies a successful deductive argument (in contrast to an inductive one). An argument is valid if it is impossible for the conclusion to be false and the premises to be true. Therefore, if you think that my argument was invalid, I invite you to elaborate on how it is possible for the conclusion to be false yet the premises to be true.

In logic, the term "sound" refers to an argument that is both valid and has a contingently true conclusion. If you'd like to argue that my argument is not sound (given that it's truly valid), then I invite you to say which of my premises you disagree.

Everything I've said about logic thus far is really true though. It's basic logic.

It could also be argued that my presentation all of the time is the little thing. IE, why does it matter if everything I say comes off as asshole-ish if everything I say is true (hypothetically)?

I'm sorry Llamas. I like you a lot more but I'm still siding with this logic professor over here . I know I can't poke any holes in anything he said. Feel free to change my mind though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."