View Poll Results: Does Mitt's history as a prankster mean he's a bad president-to-be?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 41.18%
  • No

10 58.82%
Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: President Romney

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    That's a lame excuse...refinery issues. There is no oil or gas shortage so why would the refineries be impacting the price? Record profits may have a bit to do with it. Possibly building new, more efficient refineries may help, but that's been impossible for the past 40 years. The whole oil industry is baffling to me. The price on a barrel of oil sometimes impacts the gas price and other times...nothing. But the oil companies seem to do ok either way.
    You are familiar with supply and demand, yes? You can't take a barrel of oil and plug it into your car. So when the refineries that can take those barrels of oil and turn it into car food, say, catch on fire, are flooded, or are otherwise rendered incapable of operation, the supply of available petroleum products is diminished. Less supply means higher price.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    You are familiar with supply and demand, yes? You can't take a barrel of oil and plug it into your car. So when the refineries that can take those barrels of oil and turn it into car food, say, catch on fire, are flooded, or are otherwise rendered incapable of operation, the supply of available petroleum products is diminished. Less supply means higher price.
    There is no shortage of oil or gasoline. Supply is immaterial if demand does not outweigh it. I am familiar with the supply and demand concept of economics.

Well, if refinery fires are the problem lately, we should see a spike in the price of gas in the states. Yet, there seems to be a price, no matter what happens, that the oil companies will not go above.

What started the Chevron refinery fire? Did they establish this yet?

We DID see a spike in the price of gasoline in the states following the refinery fire(s). That is the point I am trying to make. I've seen $5 / gallon gas at some stations along the freeway in LA so I'm not sure what you mean by "there's a level the oil companies won't go above."

If a determination of cause was made in the Chevron fire, I didn't hear about it.

We DID see a spike in the price of gasoline in the states following the refinery fire(s). That is the point I am trying to make. I've seen $5 / gallon gas at some stations along the freeway in LA so I'm not sure what you mean by "there's a level the oil companies won't go above."

If a determination of cause was made in the Chevron fire, I didn't hear about it.
    We saw zero...price has dropped in the midwest. There is a magic number that the OC will not go above...or if they do only for a brief time. In the midwest it is $4...on the coasts it is $5.

Most business price goods based on replacement cost. If the refinery fire is making such a huge impact we should see oil futures kick. Yet we are hovering at $100/barrel and $4/$5 gas. When the barrel price was $150, we were at the same price level. Oil companies are colluding.

Of course they are; do you think they're in the business of doing the right thing by the American people?

Perhaps the midwest depends more on the refineries along the Lake Michigan coast and the gulf than the ones out here, but the Chevron fire (and the Portland refinery fires before that) completely fucked the price per gallon out here.

Of course they are; do you think they're in the business of doing the right thing by the American people?

Perhaps the midwest depends more on the refineries along the Lake Michigan coast and the gulf than the ones out here, but the Chevron fire (and the Portland refinery fires before that) completely fucked the price per gallon out here.
    Maybe we need more refineries...more modern refineries. When was the last refinery built? 1974? Why aren't they being built?

Collusion is illegal...politicians are doing zero about this.

Isn't the actual cost of gas less in Europe than the US? Just that the Europeans are stupid enough to have a 70% tax on every gallon.

In the US, cities are farther apart and people live farther from work than in europe. So trucking everyday goods and commuting is crucial here, plus it is longer distances for each. Also, americans wouldn't be stupid enough to to pay $8 for a gallon of gas and have the vast majority of that cost be taxes. One of the reason we waved bye-bye 250 years ago.
    Without tax, gas in Germany is $5.16/gal. With tax, it's about $7/gal. Yep, the tax is higher. Is it "the vast majority" of the cost? Not even close to half, let alone majority. Is it 70%? Again, not even close. And gas in Europe is already more expensive WITHOUT tax than it is in the US WITH tax. So so much for your "the actual cost of gas" being "less in Europe than the US". How can you even take yourself seriously when you spout off with such unresearched nonsense?

We saw zero...price has dropped in the midwest. There is a magic number that the OC will not go above...or if they do only for a brief time. In the midwest it is $4...on the coasts it is $5.

Most business price goods based on replacement cost. If the refinery fire is making such a huge impact we should see oil futures kick. Yet we are hovering at $100/barrel and $4/$5 gas. When the barrel price was $150, we were at the same price level. Oil companies are colluding.
    Oh really? Four years ago in Minnesota, gas was around $4.50 a gallon. So what happened to this "magic number" of 4 in the Midwest?

Also, Wishomie admits he's from the Midwest Wisconsin is such a shithole.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Wisconsin is such a shithole.
    Hey now! Come on, its not that bad of a place.

I was born and raised there... booked it out as soon as I was an adult The Packers are the only good thing about Wisconsin :P Though southeastern WI is really the worst part of the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I was born and raised there... booked it out as soon as I was an adult The Packers are the only good thing about Wisconsin :P Though southeastern WI is really the worst part of the state.
    Me too, born and raised. I still live southeastern WI (Racine, I would love to move out of Racine. Well actually it's Mount Pleasant but I always say Racine)
    Last edited by Tiny Vessels; 09-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.