View Poll Results: Does Mitt's history as a prankster mean he's a bad president-to-be?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 41.18%
  • No

10 58.82%
Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: President Romney

Gotta love this talking point about the Benghazi attacks and terror. Republicans want to whine that Obama "didn't call it a terror attack" (which ultimately boils down to complaining about nomenclature, ultimately inconsequential, neverminding the fact that he actually DID call it a terror attack), and yet it was the Republican-controlled Congress that voted to cut funding to the embassy in the first place. Jason Chaffetz openly defended this on CNN in an interview with Soledad O'Brien....

CHAFFETZ: "When you're in tough economic times, you have to make difficult choices, you have to prioritize."

SOLEDAD O'BRIEN: "Okay, so you're prioritizing. So when there are complaints that, in fact, there was not enough security, you've just said absolutely that you cut --- you were the one to vote against, to increase security for the state department, which would lead directly to Benghazi. That seems like you're saying, you have a hand in the responsibility to this. The funding of the security, you're happy to cut it?"

CHAFFETZ: "Because there are literally close to two hundred embassies...you have thousands of people that are involved in this, you have to prioritize things. Libya, before 9/11, two bombings on our consolate out there. Of course that's got to be a higher priority than making sure we're protecting some other emphasis."

SOLEDAD O'BRIEN: "We just heard from the clip, from one of the guys who was going to testify before you today that there was definitely this pressure, in his mind, to not staff the embassy fully security-wise. Wouldn't that pressure be coming from you, directly, essentially, people -- and others -- who voted against the funding for security? Keep it low, because there's no funding for security?"
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 10-23-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

I just wonder why the "we had more important things to argue about than embassy security in this one location" argument doesn't also work for Obama. Conservatives and Republicans use that to attack the Obama administration for not paying enough attention to these warnings, and yet Republicans happily and knowingly cut funding for security even in light of those same warnings, using that same excuse.

Also, lol@ the Willard Romney op-ed: "If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed." In other words: "Obama will destroy the automotive industry, even if it never actually dies off, and even if it LOOKs like he's recovered it successfully." If we won't see it die off, then by what indication does he mean to imply that we should recognize its imminent demise? Reminds me of that "Letter From A Christian In 2012" nonsense.
    "I'm sorry
    "

We have a full Marine detachment serving as the ambassador to France's bodyguard. France. Peace lovin France. And yet we have jack shit guarding in LIBYA. How the hell does that even frickin work.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

While the Benghazi incident is concerning and should be addressed' its is still one of the least important foreign policy questions this election.

The EU is still a financial mess, China is rising, Syria is disintegrating, and there are still 100k boots on the ground in Afghanistan. Lets talk more about some of these rather than who said the word "terror" first.

Re: A Marine detachment

Very symbolic thing to have US uniformed soldiers in a country, especially one like Libya that just underwent a radical change in government and has some radical islamacist groups within that are looking for any excuse to disrupt positive change with violence (ie, using the claim that the "US is occupying Islamic land"). It's sometimes much better to have non-uniformed security personnel.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 10-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Non-uniformed security personnel who would get their asses kicked by a bunch of unruly terrorists. Sure. Sounds like a real recipe for safety to me. It's not like the Marines are serving much of a purpose when they're sitting in some south GA fort. Put em where they're needed.

Whether or not he was actually addressing it as a terrorist attack in that Garden speech is a little iffy. He did mention the word terrorism in a broader more general statement about "rah rah we won't give in to acts of terror 'Merica raaahr", but days after that his top people were still playing the spontaneous-reaction-to-movie- line.

Go find the Jay Carney press conference. Ed Henry looked fucking stunned at his response to the question.

Ambassador Rice. Fucked-up.

And now the e-mails have come out, and it's pretty upsetting. The fact they were watching in real-time, saw there was no protesting crowd out the front, and still come out and say it was unruly protestors?

I get the investigation line, no, all the facts haven't been determined. Of course not. But if you don't know what happened yet, don't come out and tell the country it was a response to the video. Because, pretty fucking clearly, it wasn't. They were surveilling the site in real-time, and they knew that.

But I agree that pretty much most of the country doesn't give a shit, and it won't influence the election at all.

I agree. The economy and whether or not it's legal to kill babies will be the deciding factors.

Serious question: what motive are people attributing to Obama in this supposed "cover-up?" What reason do they think he has for "lying to the public," even though they say he knew the "truth" from the start?

I've heard tons of people accuse Obama's administration of covering this up, but I have yet to discern a believable motive for doing so. So what's the story, exactly?
    "I'm sorry
    "

I'm not even so sure "cover up" is a fair term, because as far as it being intentional I'm not so sure. But it's either that, or total goddamn incompetence. And I'm not so sure I'd even take it as high as the President, it's a State Department thing, but then you can make the argument Hillary answers to The Big O anyway, so tomato tomahto.

And, yeah, people like Fox are overplaying it. Agreed. That doesn't mean there's no merit to the story, though, and just because they're overplaying it, doesn't mean the rest of the news outlets aren't giving him a pass on it. There's a middle ground.

I mean, if you take all the emotion out of it, just look at the event and the aftermath, it's disconcerting as hell. No, more security there probably wouldn't have prevented it happening. Agreed. But they did deny their requests for security. The Ambassador's diary retrieved by CNN details how he was fuckin' scared about something like this. The event happened, a 7 hour siege with RPGs and such...that's not a bunch of angry bakers and tailors.

Sure, there should be an investigation into it to determine the details. Fuckin' duh. But if you're coming out publically saying "we don't know shit", don't make assertions about what happened. They all turned out to be so far off it makes you look like a mouthbreather.

And it's more about the inconsistency. The President and State Department are saying one thing, the military guys and intelligence committees contradicting it. It's one or the other, not "a bunch of totally pissed Average Joe Libyans looking to cause trouble because of the movie", and simultaneously "we have intelligence that an Iraqi Al Quada splinter group infiltrating during the Qaddafi takedown pretty much did it".

As far as the "cover up", again I wouldn't go that far. It's not some oooohh-spooky black-ops conspiracy, duuuude. It's just a situation of "oh, shit, this was Al Quada, and we've said Al Quada's quivering on their knees and begging us not to finish them off, and we know what happened but the investigation can't conclude until after the election. Let's say it was the same thing as the Egyptian Embassy thing! That'll probably fly."

And that's just as fucking bullshitty as anything Romney's pulled. His tax plan doesn't add up? I agree. Neither does your party-line over Libya. Equally arrogant and douchey these two guys are, says Yoda.
    Last edited by Eskimo; 10-26-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Hurricane Sandy made Romney cancel a rally that was supposed to take place on Sunday and I think that's funny.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/