View Poll Results: Does Mitt's history as a prankster mean he's a bad president-to-be?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 41.18%
  • No

    10 58.82%
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 512

Thread: President Romney

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    943


    Default

    Ooo, Paul Ryan is against the government babysitting program! Impressive! Thanks for posting this link.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    64


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    Ooo, Paul Ryan is against the government babysitting program! Impressive! Thanks for posting this link.
    For lower income families that could be a significant issue.
    Every law politicians vote on have signficant impact to certain groups of people - don't try to belittle it because it doesn't affect you.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    God, Scythe, you are kiiillin' it with the straw men! Smoking crack is already illegal, so breastfeeding while smoking crack would likewise be a no-no. Also, not wanting the government to tell me what I can do with my uterus would seem to be in line with most other conservative 'The got-damn gub'ment ain't gonna tell me what to do with my ____' arguments. Funny how that works. It's actually not funny.

    Additionally, if Ayn Rand were publicly anti-gay marriage, it would be monstrously hypocritical if it were revealed after her death that she was gay married. Knowing you're a student of basic logic, it would follow that being publicly anti-government social programs and then collecting on one of those government social programs is pretty damn hypocritical.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  4. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    267


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    God, Scythe, you are kiiillin' it with the straw men! Smoking crack is already illegal, so breastfeeding while smoking crack would likewise be a no-no. Also, not wanting the government to tell me what I can do with my uterus would seem to be in line with most other conservative 'The got-damn gub'ment ain't gonna tell me what to do with my ____' arguments. Funny how that works. It's actually not funny.
    Not a straw man. A straw man is substituting someone's words with a caricature of what they said in order create the illusion that you refuted them. What I did was point out another instance that is logically entailed by her claim.

    Look at it this way:

    G: the government has a say on what to do with your body
    A: government can tell you to not have an abortion
    C: government can tell you to not smoke crack while breastfeeding your baby

    > will be used as the sign for a conditional
    ~ will be used as the sign for negation
    v will be the sign for disjunction (or)
    I'll post links to all the logic rules in parenthesis next to the step in the argument.

    1. A v C > G (Assumption)

    It is obvious that if the government can either tell you that you cannot have an abortion or if they can tell you to not smoke crack while breastfeeding your baby, then they have a say on what do with your body.

    2. ~G > ~(A v C) (1, Transposition)

    This stands for "If the government never has a say on what to do with your body, then they can't tell you to not abort or to not smoke crack". The consequent cannot be false and the antecedent true.

    3. C (Assumption)

    I think we all agree that government should be able to ban smoking crack while breastfeeding your baby.

    4. ~G (assume for proof by contradiction)

    |5. ~(A v C) (2,4 Modus Ponens)

    |6. C (3 Repeat)

    |7. C v A (6, Disjunction Introduction)

    There is a contradiction between 5 and 7. Therefore:

    8. ~~G (4-7 negation introduction

    9. G (double negation)

    The conclusion is that G is true. The government CAN tell you what to do with your body. Disagreeing with that is disagreeing with C (that the government can't tell you to smoke crack while breastfeeding your child. Therefore, Tiny Vessel's claim that the government can't ever tell you what to do with your body is FALSE.

    An analogy is not the same as a straw man, learn that. You should consider re-reading my post and try to understand the point of it.

    Additionally, if Ayn Rand were publicly anti-gay marriage, it would be monstrously hypocritical if it were revealed after her death that she was gay married. Knowing you're a student of basic logic, it would follow that being publicly anti-government social programs and then collecting on one of those government social programs is pretty damn hypocritical.
    So what if it's hypocritical?

    If I'm smoking and I tell a small kid that if he wants to be healthy, he shouldn't do it, does that make my claim false? No. Both my claim and my behavior present no logical contradiction in the world (that means that my behavior that apparently goes against my beliefs can exist as the same time as my beliefs).

    Pretending that because it's hypocritical, the statement is wrong is a textbook example of an ad hominem. So if you're trying to act like Ayn Rand's philosophy is wrong, avoid appealing to logically fallacious devices.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    I didn't say her philosophy was wrong, though it is. But she was most certainly a hypocrite.

    Also: Thank you for the college LOL.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  6. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    267


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    I didn't say her philosophy was wrong, though it is. But she was most certainly a hypocrite.
    I know. But the way you said brought it up was as if it was of any significance to anyone.

    Also: Thank you for the college LOL.
    You're welcome. God knows you need it.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    Nice ad hominem, yo.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  8. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    267


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Nice ad hominem, yo.
    Please stop using words you don't understand and people will stop calling you stupid.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,139


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    ...I believe it is a women's choice what she wants to do with her own body.
    No, see that's where you are all fucked up. I firmly believe it's my choice what I do with a women's body.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,798


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    No, see that's where you are all fucked up. I firmly believe it's my choice what I do with a women's body.
    Lol. Nice. If you have a women who is willing to let you to do whatever you want to her body, don't let her go cause I bet you probably won't find another women like that.
    Last edited by Tiny Vessels; 08-13-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •