Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Kristy, Are you doing ok?

So the general consensus seems to be, because it was a bit of a surprise, and the lyrics crossed with dex's voice didn't impress. Though it seems to have grown on many people.

I actually loved RAFRAG, thought it was a really well made album, there wasn't a single song i'd want to skip on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Epideme View Post
    Indeed I am - I just outright stole the name - It always surprises me slightly when the username is taken, because very seldom does it get recognised, so good call!
    Haha, thought so! xD The 7th Series is actually pretty weak overall compared to the previous 6, Epideme was a great episode though!

So the general consensus seems to be, because it was a bit of a surprise, and the lyrics crossed with dex's voice didn't impress. Though it seems to have grown on many people.

I actually loved RAFRAG, thought it was a really well made album, there wasn't a single song i'd want to skip on it.
    "A Lot Like Me" was actually more surprising to me musically than Kristy was, and that one was even more of a curveball for them. However, I loved that song right away, so I don't think it was the musical departure that made me feel indifferent towards Kristy. As for the album itself, I've definitely warmed more to it as an overall body of work in the time since I first got it. Though in terms of consistency, I still think it's not amongst their greatest albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara MZK View Post
    Haha, thought so! xD The 7th Series is actually pretty weak overall compared to the previous 6, Epideme was a great episode though!
    Yeh I agree - they are allegedly doing a 10th series... which is interesting due to their never being a 9th series.

I personally thought K,AYDO was a highlight of the record. I was really pulling for it to be a single, and I was pleased when it was. It turned out to be a good gamble, reaching #7. I think it also made RaF,RaG reappear on the charts again for a week.

The thing I hate most about the Offspring's (or maybe Colombia's, whichever) promotional habits is they always have a lot of potential singles, but they only seem to release three or four per album. Maybe Little_Miss_1565 can further illuminate me on how single selection works, is it just not very cost-effective to release singles for some reason? More singles are bought than albums these days, it just make sense to me for a major-label band to release five or six singles per album now, especially since YGGF,K actually went Gold (I read somewhere that it's actually sold 1.6 million, which would make it an uncertified Platinum single, but I can't confirm that). I'm not in the biz, so I don't know.

Half-Truism was a pretty solid single choice, it surprised me that it only reached #21, but I think most people felt that Nothingtown or Takes Me Nowhere would have been a better fourth choice, or at least good candidates for a fifth choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara MZK View Post
    "A Lot Like Me" was actually more surprising to me musically than Kristy was, and that one was even more of a curveball for them. However, I loved that song right away, so I don't think it was the musical departure that made me feel indifferent towards Kristy.

I also thought A Lot Like Me would have been a good single. It's not very Offspringish, it kind of has a Linkin Park flavor to me, like "What I've Done." That song absolutely killed on the charts.

Yeh I agree - they are allegedly doing a 10th series... which is interesting due to their never being a 9th series.
    Yep, I think they've counted the 3 part mini-series they did in 2009 ("Back To Earth") as the 9th series... I didn't think much to that to be honest. Certainly in comparison to the first 6 series', it wasn't that good. I hope the 10th series goes back to it's roots. Doug Naylor really needs to tap into the creative genius that made the first 6 series' so great and so hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Half-Truism was a pretty solid single choice, it surprised me that it only reached #21, but I think most people felt that Nothingtown or Takes Me Nowhere would have been a better fourth choice, or at least good candidates for a fifth choice.
    From a purely commercial standpoint, I think "Nothingtown" or "Takes Me Nowhere" would have been better single choices than "Half Truism".

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I also thought A Lot Like Me would have been a good single. It's not very Offspringish, it kind of has a Linkin Park flavor to me, like "What I've Done." That song absolutely killed on the charts.
    I don't really know much about Linkin Park, so I can't really comment on that comparison. But you're right, it's not very Offspring-ish at all. However, musically, out of all the songs on the album, I think that one would have been the most likely to be a commercial hit. So it is baffling to me why it wasn't released as a single... lol

See I found Half-Truism an obvious choice for a single, very much arena rock style. And definitely well pieced together. Nothingtown i found one of the more forgettable tracks, not bad by any stretch, just not as good as the rest of an album that really impressed me. Thoguh Takes Me Nowhere I'm surprised didn't get a look in. Did Stuff is Messed up get a release or just a video in the end?

Re: Red Dwarf - well the interview i read, apparently doug naylor said he'd be interested in doing a 10th series, but not a 9th - this was post BTE (which i agree with you on, it made me chuckle, but not up to usual RD standards - and really could've done without the whole 4th wall breaking - which sadly made up most of it)... So shrugs, god only knows whats happening now...

i think they should cut this song from the setlist and replace it with dirty magic it would probably get the same reaction live