Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IMO, Splinter is the most underrated album.

Default IMO, Splinter is the most underrated album.

I mean, sure. Splinter runs shy of 32 minutes, but it keeps you on the edge of your seat for the entire duration. I'd say that a good 90% of the album is an edgier approach to modern cynicism. Isn't that what punk rock used to be about? Hard driven, catchy riffs rolled up in a bundle of thought provoking lyrics in short instances? With the exception of the alternative ballads (Hangover, Spare Me, Prison), I feel as if the album has been overlooked for its fast paced, "in your face" attitude in exchange for the general complaint that we didn't get enough of the album as we had hoped for. Not to take away from the experimentation tracks either. The lyricism for the entire record set the nihilistic message straight, and some of the alternative songs nailed the execution. It's insane that a classic song like "Da Hui" has completely fallen off of our radar. Wouldn't it be awesome to hear that track live? Again?

Anybody agree with me on this one? I definitely feel like Splinter had more than a solid effort behind it.

I love Splinter the same as I love the rest of the Offspring albums. The only disadvantage is the short duration(10 songs only. "Neocon" & "When you're in prison" don't count for me). It's actually their shortest album.
    Last edited by Defender; 07-05-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Enslave my mind...

splinter is crap. Other than like 3 songs...

It may be underrated. It's also their worst.

Splinter has a few really good songs, but unfortunately most of the rest sound like they were half-assed. On the plus side, O'Brien's production is stellar and really nails the "Offspring" sound. It's like the perfect medium between the old, raw, punx sounding Offspring albums and the newer, crispy, autotune-y sounding albums. Shame they couldn't write a better batch of songs for it.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Definitely an underrated album. It's so dark, with a number of pretty intense songs (Lightning Rod, Never Gonna Find Me, The Noose, etc.). My only complaints are with "Worst Hangover Ever" and "Spare Me the Details," which don't quite fit with the tone of the rest of the album, much like how "Cruising California" and "All I Have Left Is You" don't really fit with the rest of "Days Go By". I don't mind "Hangover" or "Details", but up till recently they were my two least favorite Offspring songs.

If you listen to a lot of punk rock, thirty-two minutes really isn't that short. It's a good length: quick, to the point; not every album has to be 45 minutes long. Every time I listen to the first Circle Jerks' record, which is about fifteen minutes long, it sounds great; and if I'm still in the mood for it when it's over, just put it on again.

Also, Neocon is the best intro track Offspring have ever done.

S/T and Co1 are the underrated ones.

Self titled was overshadowed by Ignition, and Conspiracy of One is almost like an urban legend to the less involved fanbase.
    Your back's to the wall, that's protocol;
    It's sequestering your spirit, misleading us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles

According to me,Splinter is definitely their best album..not only is it cohesive,it is problably their darkest album..I mean,the whole album's like a story that you just gotta like..people have to be deaf if they don't like The Noose,Long way home,Never gonna find me or Race against myself..these are brilliant and it'd be so fucking cool if the band started to play them live again..I never skip any song..but I agree that it's too short and When you're in prison is not a good closer but that doesn't change anything on the fact that it's a great album..and Neocon and The Noose is definitely the best way how to start any album..Pity that they only play Head around you on tours..
    Last edited by dexterone; 07-05-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    I know you wanna hit that

Quote Originally Posted by BagOfShenanigans View Post
    S/T and Co1 are the underrated ones.
    Backed...!
    Enslave my mind...

I'd definitely agree with some here that the self titled and CO1 are the most underrated Offspring albums, and the latter is probably my favourite out of all their albums. However, I do feel like Splinter comes in for some unfair bashing and criticsm, when it's really not that bad at all.

I agree with dexterone that Splinter is their darkest album, and whilst it's certainly a patchy affair, the great songs far outweigh the bad. "Spare Me The Details" is actually the only song on the album I really dislike, although there's another couple that are merely okay. The final two songs seem to split opinion between Offspring fans (especially the last one), but for me at least, that one-two is an absolutely wonderful finale to the album. The ferocious "Da Hui" followed by the climactic genius of "When You're In Prison". For me, the 20's/30's style easy listening music, complete with crackling gramophone effect, melded to the vicious black humour of the lyrics, is the perfect way to end The Offspring's darkest album so far. I can understand why some dislike the song, as it is totally left of field, even for them, but I think it's a twisted work of genius.

Elsewhere, songs like the storming opener "The Noose", the supercharged intensity of "Lightning Rod", and melancholy tinged "Race Against Myself", are truly classic Offspring songs that stand up against their very best work on the previous albums. It's an awkward little album for sure, but there are some sparkling gems on it!
    Last edited by Sara MZK; 07-05-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling mistake