View Poll Results: Which is better, OC Guns or Crusin' California

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • OC Guns

    48 70.59%
  • Cruisin' California

    20 29.41%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66

Thread: OC Guns or Cruisin' California?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    267


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    If you were trying to prove that you're not overly aggressive and pretentious with a refutation that is many times longer than my post, I'm sorry to say you haven't helped yourself on that point.

    And seriously, this feels like my old Philosophy 101 class 10 years ago. No.
    PHI 101 is good for you. PHI 300 is better.

    Also you may want to re-read this:

    "make points by hinting at truisms and platitudes. What professor of yours told you that that's remotely intelligent? Do we all suddenly have the acumen of a pretentious, impressionable middle-schooler?"

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,871


    Default

    One of the most clear-cut observations I've made about debate over the years is that 9 times out of 10, the first person to pull out the term "straw man" is the one who is losing the argument. Most people don't even use the term correctly, but even when they do, it kind of reeks of desperation when you have to compartmentalize your opponent's argument and call it a neat little name instead of actually refuting it.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    267


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    One of the most clear-cut observations I've made about debate over the years is that 9 times out of 10, the first person to pull out the term "straw man" is the one who is losing the argument. Most people don't even use the term correctly, but even when they do, it kind of reeks of desperation when you have to compartmentalize your opponent's argument and call it a neat little name instead of actually refuting it.
    Well I notice you aren't an apt mediator.

    You know how much easier it is to point out the objective logical fallacy rather than repeating the same copy-paste lecture of how you're arguing a made up misrepresentation so many people that don't understand argumentation commit? Even then, most people don't understand what the term means, so I have to explain how they are fabricating a misrepresentation in lieu of addressing what I actually said in the first place... like I did just now with Little Miss 1565 and how I just did with you if you're accusing me of something.

    It's just funny how you're all absolutely incapable of addressing my points, and instead go on in contrived tangents about my presentation.

    In my experience though, the most misused fallacy term is "ad hominem", which idiots usually assume is synonymous with "insult". Then when you try to explain it, they go in denial and cling to their misuse of the term because they don't understand formal logic or really want to think that they said something intelligent.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    So you're trying to explain how I'm fabricating that you're acting pretentious and aggro....by acting pretentious and aggro?

    "Do we all suddenly have the acumen of a pretentious, impressionable middle-schooler?" What conversation are you having with whom?
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,871


    Default

    I don't care about addressing all of your points. It's nothing personal, I've just gotten bored with debating Offspring songs in the past week or so. I'm actually bored with it most of the time, but every time a new album comes out I get into it for about a month again. Plus, others pretty much already said what I could have.

    I just was posting to point out something that bugs me. I would have done the same had anyone posted it. That being said though, I don't know why you think it's so wrong to call you out on your presentation. Fuck, dude, you're arguing about fucking pop-punk music. The points that you're making are subjective, the only thing that anyone's objecting to is that while the rest of us are attempting to have a tame discussion about a couple of stupid songs, you're getting all pissy about everything.

    For the record, this was the post you made that set everyone off on this ridiculous debate:

    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe Death
    It baffles me how someone can prefer something so simple minded as "omg dexter is cursing in spanish xD su funneh" over the sharp and brutal sarcasm and commentary of Pretty Fly. I speak fluent Spanish; OC Guns is just embarrassing.

    I guess you'd have to be assholes to understand. lol
    Yes, let's all have a rational, Ivy League debate over the profound content of that statement. God forbid anyone attack the untouchable presentation of it.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    I would also like to add that thinking Scythe's behavior sucks in this thread doesn't mean I necessarily like either OC Guns or CC. But I DEF hate it when folks read one damn Foucault piece and think they can hold forth on the fucking Panopticon, or whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by XylophonetreeZ
    The points that you're making are subjective, the only thing that anyone's objecting to is that while the rest of us are attempting to have a tame discussion about a couple of stupid songs, you're getting all pissy about everything.


    A++++++, would buy again I think we should let this end with Treez's very salient point and continue on with the discussion of the songs.

    (Meaning further thesis chapters that would make my old philosophy senior seminar prof break out his biggest red pen will be deleted.)
    Last edited by Little_Miss_1565; 07-25-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beijing, China
    Posts
    137


    Default

    Cruisin' California and Days Go By are the only 2 songs I skip when listening to the album.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    (Meaning further thesis chapters that would make my old philosophy senior seminar prof break out his biggest red pen will be deleted.)
    Because it's been missed the first time, apparently.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,754


    Default

    Well that's lame. My vote still goes to OC Guns. I need to hit replay almost every time I hear that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Vodka Belt
    Posts
    3,270


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •