Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it unreasonable to refuse to hangout with couples?

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    My bestfriend dated a girl* in highschool that we all hated. Seriously, she was the least interesting person of all time and just took up space. It had absolutely nothing to do with him having a girlfriend, we just didn't like her. Do you friends dislike your girlfriend? Alternatively, as I told llamas, I don't think most people are as platonic as they'd like to think and it's not always related to physical affection. That said, I know nothing about you, your girlfriend, or your friends, I'm just letting you know how it's been from my perspective.
    I did consider this for a while, but I don't think that's the case. My girlfriend isn't in direct contact with my friends long enough to actually piss them off for any reason. But I don't know, I'm one of 6 guys. None of them have girlfriends and do often complain that they don't date... so maybe it's just jealousy or the simple fact that the only girlfriend in the group does in fact "ruin" the whole bromance experience of making jokes and looking at other girls and etc...

It is a pain in the ass, I will tell you. And I won't lie, maybe if I were one of the single guys and one of my friends had a girlfriend, I might think she kills the mood simply because us guys like to talk about our subjects and laugh at our stupid jokes.

My advice to anyone in this situation is to just relax. You won't lose your friendship with anybody just because your girlfriend showed up and "killed" the mood, and your girlfriend (if she's a good one) won't mind that you like to hangout with your friends.
    "Noodles, the man who put the O in Obrigado." - Dexter Holland

"You're a sexy fucking audience!" - Noodles

"It is the power of music, to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice, it is like hypnotism." -Beethoven

Try this on for size. Imagine you've recently made a big move and are now living in a strange city. You only know one person in this city, an old friend that you are now living with. Before making this move you were under the impression that your friend was single, having very recently been dumped by his girlfriend. After making this move you discover that his supposed ex-girlfriend actually has effectively moved in to the flat and is around every single moment preventing you from doing much of anything with your friend. Instead of the anticipated video game marathons you get to watch your friend kiss and cuddle the person who takes advantage of him and routinely dumps him. You get to watch him make her cups of tea when he doesn't even want one himself, make her food whenever she's hungry, fetch things for her from other rooms and, seriously, run her bath for her.

Yeah, I don't think I like hanging out with couples anymore. Though my current reasons are rather specific, I actually agree with basically everything Cody was saying.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a friend truly act like himself around his girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by DMelges View Post
    There's always the jealousy factor too you know. Mostly in my case, I think my friends are jealous that don't have girlfriends, so they don't like seeing me with mine. Yes it is stupid but that's the way people are I guess.
    Or, instead of jealousy, perhaps you are simply reminding them that they are lonely and that makes them sad. Would you want to be around people who make you feel sad? Nothing stupid about that. Also, you actually meant envy, not jealousy.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

I'd say it depends on the couple. I personally get along really well with my best friend and his wife.