Thread: Job Interview help

Default Job Interview help

Right, so I've been putting out loads of CVs for some time now, and just today I got a phone call for an interview through leaving my name and number on an answering machine.

The job is for a bar that does lunch and also requires some nights bar work. The only thing is, I have no experience with these. Like, sure, I've made food for myself and for others at home, but that's about it. I've mixed some drinks at home and have watched my boyfriend bartending, but that's about as far as my experience goes with that!

My only experience really is helping out at stables, mucking out shit and stuff like that.

Also, just to make matters worse, I'm disgustingly shy...so am dreading the interview.

Any tips on how I could turn it around and make it work for me?

When I first started waitressing and I was just like you, so fucking shy. I didn't like talking I felt so uncomfortable. But as time went on I got more comfortable. It also helps with who you work too. With bartending (which I do sometimes too) if you're not too sure how to make a drink you can always look it up, but if you can't just say something like " I never heard of that before, but if you know whats in it I can make it" Most people don't mind that. If its a bar that has a cook then you just have to worry about putting in the order and getting the food out, but if you do have to make it I'm sure they will show you. You just gotta have some confidence (one again easier said then done).

Make sure to be honest about not having a lot of experience, but also emphasize that you are willing to learn (and if its true) that you are a fast learner. I was pretty shy when I got my first server job. Usually, bar managers will start you out waiting tables and cocktail serving before even allowing you near the bar(which is a good way to learn how to work with customers). Customers tend to be pretty good at dealing with new servers who are kind of shy. They will bring out the social side of you. Also, be honest that you might be a little shy at first, but open up with a little time.

Interviewers really want you to be aware of your shortcomings. If you know what they are and openly acknoweledge them (like being shy and lacking experience) then the hiring manager knows that you are willing to work on them and that is really all that they ask.

Also, don't be afraid to highlight your strengths. Like me... in an interview I'd say that I have a really good memory for menus and item descriptions, drink names, and even what brands of beer and liquor that the bar is carrying. I'm also very quick with money and have never had a drawer come up short at the end of the day. As a negative, I can get a little over stressed if dealing with an unhappy customer and often require help. I'm also not very talkative with people I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I think its best that I should be honest, because I think it would probably be obvious that I'm quite shy, although I'm gonna do my best to act confident!

Now I just have to make myself look presentable!

When you are preparing yourself for interview, you have to be honest and show that how much sincere you are with this job that is why you are sitting in front them. You have to prove them you are the best possible option for this job.