Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Industry.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,449


    Default Industry.

    I've found that this is quite a polarizing topic. @When I see this debated online, it's typically split right down the middle.

    In the restaurant business we often have people come in at 9:45 or even much earlier and stay until 11:30 or later (we close at 10). My coworkers often get very upset about this kind of thing.

    Who would you say is in the wrong. The employee who thinks they're entitled to go home once the restaurant 'closes', or the customer who thinks they're entitled to service well after the restaurant has closed?
    I wrote a four word letter.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,366


    Default

    Clearly another issue of black people and public etiquette.

    I think there are a lot of situations where society has established a code of conduct that takes precedence over an establishment's policy. Can't think of any though...hope that doesn't undermine my argument, lol.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,878


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Clearly another issue of black people and public etiquette.
    Do you just lurk here constantly and wait for opportunities to bring that up?


    Anyway, one situation is a matter of rules, and the other is a matter of manners. Dennis Farina explains a similar ethical debate perfectly.




    Restaurants should pay employees more for any time for which they weren't scheduled. What Jojan said is reasonable as well. Restaurants should delineate three times clearly and transparently: the time the kitchen closes, the time the dining room closes, and the time the employees should expect to go home (after they're done cleaning up).
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 09-24-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,106


    Default

    The restaurant business is one area where hourly employees probably get screwed. I would like to know one other business where your hours are so undefined. Store coses at 9pm, employees leave at....9pm. Factory shift is from 7-3:30, people leave at...3:30. Restaurant closes at 10pm, employees leave...hell if I know. One thing for sure, I think it is incredibly fucked up that ANYONE would hang around a restaurant an hour after it closes. You pull that shit, you damn well better open up your wallet and tip graciously. Cause you are either retarded, or a self centered son of a bitch.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Who would you say is in the wrong. The employee who thinks they're entitled to go home once the restaurant 'closes', or the customer who thinks they're entitled to service well after the restaurant has closed?
    Definitely the customers. I've worked in bars but not restaurants, and after last call, everyone is asked to leave. At that point, it's the bartender's discretion who's allowed to stick around after hours. As a customer, I've closed down bars at 4 AM (NYC closing time) and I've closed down bars at 7 AM just hanging out with friends who bartend. And I tip like a motherfucker in those instances.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Clearly another issue of black people and public etiquette.

    I think there are a lot of situations where society has established a code of conduct that takes precedence over an establishment's policy. Can't think of any though...hope that doesn't undermine my argument, lol.
    Obvious troll is obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    The restaurant business is one area where hourly employees probably get screwed. I would like to know one other business where your hours are so undefined. Store coses at 9pm, employees leave at....9pm. Factory shift is from 7-3:30, people leave at...3:30. Restaurant closes at 10pm, employees leave...hell if I know. One thing for sure, I think it is incredibly fucked up that ANYONE would hang around a restaurant an hour after it closes. You pull that shit, you damn well better open up your wallet and tip graciously. Cause you are either retarded, or a self centered son of a bitch.
    For real. I don't understand why people think it's okay to fuck around in a restaurant, and they know they'd never be able to do that in a bar. I don't think it should be considered rude for someone to say "Hey, sorry to bother you but I need to close my till because we close in 5 minutes, here's your check." Or, close the kitchen 30 minutes before the doors close on the restaurant. The bar I worked at had a small kitchen that closed at midnight when the bar closed at 4 AM. While customers who think they're just entitled to shit are definitely a problem, it's a bigger problem in my opinion that restaurant managers don't set things up that allow their staff to get out not long after closing time. Stop taking orders 30 minutes before closing, and herd people out when you're closed. Only giant assholes get snippy when it's past posted closing hours and you say "Hey, sorry but we're closed now."
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,366


    Default

    Talking etiquette with some of you is a real trip since you present yourself as people who are without any sort of personality flaws or eccentricities that could actually be the source of shame.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    We just finished restaurant week, which is essentially this city wide promotional deal to get people out to local restaurants. Anyway, we've been fucking swamped since it started Saturday before last, until it ended on Sunday. One of my coworkers made a reservation for a group of 5 at 8:30. Whatever, no big deal. Her party doesn't all get here until 9ish and they don't leave until 11:30. She worked a lot of restaurant week, so she knows how awful it was. She knew this was the last night and that everyone was desperate to get off so we could finally have our day off. I can't speak for everyone, but I worked 6 restaurant days straight and basically wanted to die. Then, get this, on an $80 bill she tipped nothing. I guess it's common not to tip your coworks, I had no idea. Still, she paid for someone else's meal, kept her coworkers an hour and a half late, and still didn't fucking tip?
    That girl is a pure asshole. No, not tipping your coworkers isn't a thing. Both at Perkins and at Domino's, we would tip our coworkers farrrrrr more than usual. However, we'd often give our coworkers free stuff, too, so in the end we'd just pay what we'd normally pay (minus tip), and the coworker would get to pocket a lot of it. During a shift when the boss was there, of course we couldn't get away with giving free stuff to our coworkers, but even then we'd still tip like 30-40%. What an asshole.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Also, I think our tipping system is awful but still general tip 15-20 percent except in cases of outstandingly fantastic or terrible service. I even tip my coworkers (seriously, is that a thing?).
    Same. In the US, if I get average service, I tip like 15%. If I get bad service (waiting forever, rude server), I might tip 8-10%. If the server is really cool and it's actually a positive experience, I tip about 20%. The only time I ever stiffed a server's tip in my adult life was this time I waited 45 minutes for a refill on my coffee, and then saw my server on the other side of the restaurant, chilling in a booth, smoking a cigarette, and chatting on her phone. She was not on break (especially not for 45 minutes). She did not get a tip.

    I've gotten used to not tipping now, though, and it makes me really hate the US system. I hate in the US that, if I wanna go out to eat, I have to plan on not only buying my food, but paying an extra 15-20% on top of that. Pay servers decent wages so that tips are extra for exceptional service, like it is here. Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,124


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Same. In the US, if I get average service, I tip like 15%. If I get bad service (waiting forever, rude server), I might tip 8-10%. If the server is really cool and it's actually a positive experience, I tip about 20%. The only time I ever stiffed a server's tip in my adult life was this time I waited 45 minutes for a refill on my coffee, and then saw my server on the other side of the restaurant, chilling in a booth, smoking a cigarette, and chatting on her phone. She was not on break (especially not for 45 minutes). She did not get a tip.

    I've gotten used to not tipping now, though, and it makes me really hate the US system. I hate in the US that, if I wanna go out to eat, I have to plan on not only buying my food, but paying an extra 15-20% on top of that. Pay servers decent wages so that tips are extra for exceptional service, like it is here. Jesus.
    Ah ah, I've read that it is one reason french tourists are not very much appreciated in London. We don't tip ! Because we actually don't know you have to tip 10% of the bill.

    Here it's like 50cts of euros for a drink and for an average restaurant, the tip isn't often more than 2 .
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    Ah ah, I've read that it is one reason french tourists are not very much appreciated in London. We don't tip ! Because we actually don't know you have to tip 10% of the bill.

    Here it's like 50cts of euros for a drink and for an average restaurant, the tip isn't often more than 2 .
    It's not just French people... in the US, a server dreads having any European customers, haha. A lot of servers don't realize (or want to believe) that Europeans honestly don't know how tipping works. I felt that way when I was a server, but then I moved here and had plenty of people actually ask me about tipping in the US. I've had several people say they went to the US and had problems regarding tipping, asked me what the etiquette is. It's hard for servers to understand, but it's equally hard for the visitor to figure out the tipping situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,776


    Default

    Omg that sucks. A few years ago I had a table of 20 come in 5 mins before we closed for breakfast. That was FUN.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •