Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry.

Default Industry.

I've found that this is quite a polarizing topic. @When I see this debated online, it's typically split right down the middle.

In the restaurant business we often have people come in at 9:45 or even much earlier and stay until 11:30 or later (we close at 10). My coworkers often get very upset about this kind of thing.

Who would you say is in the wrong. The employee who thinks they're entitled to go home once the restaurant 'closes', or the customer who thinks they're entitled to service well after the restaurant has closed?
    I wrote a four word letter.

Clearly another issue of black people and public etiquette.

I think there are a lot of situations where society has established a code of conduct that takes precedence over an establishment's policy. Can't think of any though...hope that doesn't undermine my argument, lol.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I do not think that the employee should stop working just because the restaurant closes. But the customers should be notified if it is near the closing time, and noticed when it is time to close.

You can stop serving after nine, let the customers know that you close at ten and they will have to leave by then. For example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan fr den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer lter bra.

Doesn't is usually go like "Alright guys, last round!" and then 30 minutes laters turn on all the lights stop the music, clean the tables, put the chairs on the tables, etc.. the whole clean-up/closing things you do every night at a bar/restaurant. Anyone not getting he/she is supposed to leave, can be clearly told they will have to leave, right?
    * !

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Do you just lurk here constantly and wait for opportunities to bring that up?

Anyway, one situation is a matter of rules, and the other is a matter of manners. Dennis Farina explains a similar ethical debate perfectly.

Restaurants should pay employees more for any time for which they weren't scheduled. What Jojan said is reasonable as well. Restaurants should delineate three times clearly and transparently: the time the kitchen closes, the time the dining room closes, and the time the employees should expect to go home (after they're done cleaning up).
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 09-24-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

As a waitress that is one thing that pisses me off is when people come in at the last minute, especially the regulars who that. Everyone has to stay later and sometimes the kitchen already has ran out of something and then you tell the customer and then they get upset with you about it. Then you have to wait around for them to pay their bill so you can close your till, and then you have the dishwasher bitching cause they want to leave. Everyone has to stay pretty much, not just you.

Where I work on saturdays and sundays after breakfast most of the time we have parties that come in and some of them like to decorate early and it really sucks when you a table/s just sitting there still. My customers just don't care and it is frusterating and then you tell they need to they have to be gone at closing time becauase we have a party coming in they still won't leave.

You just can't win.

The restaurant business is one area where hourly employees probably get screwed. I would like to know one other business where your hours are so undefined. Store coses at 9pm, employees leave at....9pm. Factory shift is from 7-3:30, people leave at...3:30. Restaurant closes at 10pm, employees leave...hell if I know. One thing for sure, I think it is incredibly fucked up that ANYONE would hang around a restaurant an hour after it closes. You pull that shit, you damn well better open up your wallet and tip graciously. Cause you are either retarded, or a self centered son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Who would you say is in the wrong. The employee who thinks they're entitled to go home once the restaurant 'closes', or the customer who thinks they're entitled to service well after the restaurant has closed?
    Definitely the customers. I've worked in bars but not restaurants, and after last call, everyone is asked to leave. At that point, it's the bartender's discretion who's allowed to stick around after hours. As a customer, I've closed down bars at 4 AM (NYC closing time) and I've closed down bars at 7 AM just hanging out with friends who bartend. And I tip like a motherfucker in those instances.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post

I think there are a lot of situations where society has established a code of conduct that takes precedence over an establishment's policy. Can't think of any though...hope that doesn't undermine my argument, lol.
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    The restaurant business is one area where hourly employees probably get screwed. I would like to know one other business where your hours are so undefined. Store coses at 9pm, employees leave at....9pm. Factory shift is from 7-3:30, people leave at...3:30. Restaurant closes at 10pm, employees leave...hell if I know. One thing for sure, I think it is incredibly fucked up that ANYONE would hang around a restaurant an hour after it closes. You pull that shit, you damn well better open up your wallet and tip graciously. Cause you are either retarded, or a self centered son of a bitch.
    For real. I don't understand why people think it's okay to fuck around in a restaurant, and they know they'd never be able to do that in a bar. I don't think it should be considered rude for someone to say "Hey, sorry to bother you but I need to close my till because we close in 5 minutes, here's your check." Or, close the kitchen 30 minutes before the doors close on the restaurant. The bar I worked at had a small kitchen that closed at midnight when the bar closed at 4 AM. While customers who think they're just entitled to shit are definitely a problem, it's a bigger problem in my opinion that restaurant managers don't set things up that allow their staff to get out not long after closing time. Stop taking orders 30 minutes before closing, and herd people out when you're closed. Only giant assholes get snippy when it's past posted closing hours and you say "Hey, sorry but we're closed now."
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

My serving experience was at a 24-hour Perkins in Minnesota, so I can't really relate to this. In Slovenia, though, they will come to your table and tell you it's time to pay and go cause they're closing. It's complete bullshit that that doesn't happen in the US. Of course the owner/GM isn't there anymore, so they don't give a fuck how late their employees have to stay, making minimum wage or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Talking etiquette with some of you is a real trip since you present yourself as people who are without any sort of personality flaws or eccentricities that could actually be the source of shame.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.