Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Industry.

We never rush people out, ever. Even if it after 10, the most we do is turn off the music.

We just finished restaurant week, which is essentially this city wide promotional deal to get people out to local restaurants. Anyway, we've been fucking swamped since it started Saturday before last, until it ended on Sunday. One of my coworkers made a reservation for a group of 5 at 8:30. Whatever, no big deal. Her party doesn't all get here until 9ish and they don't leave until 11:30. She worked a lot of restaurant week, so she knows how awful it was. She knew this was the last night and that everyone was desperate to get off so we could finally have our day off. I can't speak for everyone, but I worked 6 restaurant days straight and basically wanted to die. Then, get this, on an $80 bill she tipped nothing. I guess it's common not to tip your coworks, I had no idea. Still, she paid for someone else's meal, kept her coworkers an hour and a half late, and still didn't fucking tip?

Anyway, the owner/head chef/boss is typically here all day and the last to leave at night. He doesn't want us refusing service before 10pm and he doesn't let us push people out at all. We've literally sat people at 9:55. Sometimes they're good people and hurry out quickly, or we have exceptionally busy night where we can't sit people till 9:30 and we end up with 6 tables at 11. That doesn't really bother me. It's that two top that came in at 9:45 when we were dead and apparently too fucking brain dead to realize it's shitty to stay until 11:30 when you finished eating at 10:45, or their just to fucking entitled to care.

Also, I think our tipping system is awful but still general tip 15-20 percent except in cases of outstandingly fantastic or terrible service. I even tip my coworkers (seriously, is that a thing?).
    I wrote a four word letter.

If it wasn't her shift and she wasn't somehow on the clock, she most definitely should have tipped. Especially keeping people late. I never tipped on my shift meals at the bar, but if I was there drinking on off days, I tipped like hell especially on any comped drinks.

Not tipping coworkers is not a "thing," she's just rude.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

That is the sort of thing I would personally never leave her alone about.

The nice thing about working in a bar in NC is that the kitchen closed by midnight. So at two, when we closed, no one would be eating. NC liquor laws are super tight too, so legally, the place has to be empty of patrons by 230. So as soon as closing time rolled around, security was like "gtfo bitch". However, I worked at a high volume bar, so on the weekends I would work 4pm to sometimes 430am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    We just finished restaurant week, which is essentially this city wide promotional deal to get people out to local restaurants. Anyway, we've been fucking swamped since it started Saturday before last, until it ended on Sunday. One of my coworkers made a reservation for a group of 5 at 8:30. Whatever, no big deal. Her party doesn't all get here until 9ish and they don't leave until 11:30. She worked a lot of restaurant week, so she knows how awful it was. She knew this was the last night and that everyone was desperate to get off so we could finally have our day off. I can't speak for everyone, but I worked 6 restaurant days straight and basically wanted to die. Then, get this, on an $80 bill she tipped nothing. I guess it's common not to tip your coworks, I had no idea. Still, she paid for someone else's meal, kept her coworkers an hour and a half late, and still didn't fucking tip?
    That girl is a pure asshole. No, not tipping your coworkers isn't a thing. Both at Perkins and at Domino's, we would tip our coworkers farrrrrr more than usual. However, we'd often give our coworkers free stuff, too, so in the end we'd just pay what we'd normally pay (minus tip), and the coworker would get to pocket a lot of it. During a shift when the boss was there, of course we couldn't get away with giving free stuff to our coworkers, but even then we'd still tip like 30-40%. What an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Also, I think our tipping system is awful but still general tip 15-20 percent except in cases of outstandingly fantastic or terrible service. I even tip my coworkers (seriously, is that a thing?).
    Same. In the US, if I get average service, I tip like 15%. If I get bad service (waiting forever, rude server), I might tip 8-10%. If the server is really cool and it's actually a positive experience, I tip about 20%. The only time I ever stiffed a server's tip in my adult life was this time I waited 45 minutes for a refill on my coffee, and then saw my server on the other side of the restaurant, chilling in a booth, smoking a cigarette, and chatting on her phone. She was not on break (especially not for 45 minutes). She did not get a tip.

I've gotten used to not tipping now, though, and it makes me really hate the US system. I hate in the US that, if I wanna go out to eat, I have to plan on not only buying my food, but paying an extra 15-20% on top of that. Pay servers decent wages so that tips are extra for exceptional service, like it is here. Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Same. In the US, if I get average service, I tip like 15%. If I get bad service (waiting forever, rude server), I might tip 8-10%. If the server is really cool and it's actually a positive experience, I tip about 20%. The only time I ever stiffed a server's tip in my adult life was this time I waited 45 minutes for a refill on my coffee, and then saw my server on the other side of the restaurant, chilling in a booth, smoking a cigarette, and chatting on her phone. She was not on break (especially not for 45 minutes). She did not get a tip.

I've gotten used to not tipping now, though, and it makes me really hate the US system. I hate in the US that, if I wanna go out to eat, I have to plan on not only buying my food, but paying an extra 15-20% on top of that. Pay servers decent wages so that tips are extra for exceptional service, like it is here. Jesus.
    Ah ah, I've read that it is one reason french tourists are not very much appreciated in London. We don't tip ! Because we actually don't know you have to tip 10% of the bill.

Here it's like 50cts of euros for a drink and for an average restaurant, the tip isn't often more than 2 .

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    Ah ah, I've read that it is one reason french tourists are not very much appreciated in London. We don't tip ! Because we actually don't know you have to tip 10% of the bill.

Here it's like 50cts of euros for a drink and for an average restaurant, the tip isn't often more than 2 .
    It's not just French people... in the US, a server dreads having any European customers, haha. A lot of servers don't realize (or want to believe) that Europeans honestly don't know how tipping works. I felt that way when I was a server, but then I moved here and had plenty of people actually ask me about tipping in the US. I've had several people say they went to the US and had problems regarding tipping, asked me what the etiquette is. It's hard for servers to understand, but it's equally hard for the visitor to figure out the tipping situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Aren't some restaurants in the US adding the tip to the check? I remember my uncle telling my dad that he didn't have to leave a tip at certain places and showing him the tip added at bottom.
    Last edited by Lizardus; 09-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardus View Post
    Aren't some restaurants in the US adding the tip to the check? I remember my uncle telling my dad that he didn't have to leave a tip at certain places and showing him the tip added at bottom.
    Gradituity(something like that on the spelling). Yes some places do that only like on big parties over a certain amount of people. Where I work the only time that I am allowed to do that is when we have our easter buffet.

The bar I worked at added gratuity for parties over eight. They also finally started adding gratuity to crab leg night because on a $1,000 night of personal sales, even the best server would make less than fifty bucks. Not to mention that shit was all you can eat, so they would run you ragged for two hours and leave you three dollars. I would rather just earn a solid wage and have tips be a bonus if I was awesome (which I always am )