Page 50 of 95 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 949

Thread: Post a picture of your instrument!

  1. #491
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoY
    oh no, that's not at all how it works. they have to be regularly played on through time, that's the trick. if you leave a stringed instrument alone even for a few months it sounds softer, less clear, less good. in such a case you can reverse the damage by playing it intensively for a few hours, but if you don't touch a violin for, let's say a year, it's lost 90% of it's value. irreversably.
    oh, I know they have to be played! of course. my best friend from high school was an awesome violinist, so she told me all about that stuff. I know you can't just leave a wooden instrument like that sitting. however, generally speaking, it's always seemed like older violins sell for more than modern ones straight from the manufacturer... something along the lines of that they used to be made more detailed and more specifically than they are now. Sure there are those huge exceptions, but I thought for the most part.

    there once was a 7.5 million Stradivarius violin - one of the most expensive, valuable out there - someone bought it & put it away in his safe. two years later he couldn't even get 100 dollars for it. a violin is the most vulnerable to these things (mainly inactivity, but also just when you drop it); it's the smallest of (regular) stringed instruments, the woodcraft is the most precise, the way it was cut, made, curled, shaved comes down to such tiny details, that it makes it one of the most vulnerable instruments out there. plus, the material, the wood, is extremely thin. it breaks, cracks & bends easily, but it also stiffens easily. once that happens, either one of all of these things, your violin instantly becomes worthless. instantly. no matter what the price used to be. you can't fully fix a violin.
    Oh, I know... I have a mandolin which is a little bigger than a violin, and I left it in a bad place for it (huuuumid...) for a day, and now it's ruined... can't fix it


    piccolos? I think they're amazing, if used well in music!! <3 I don't get why a wooden one would be most expensive though. for an instrument you "blow" on (don't know the right term), wood is the most unlogical & cheapest material you could choose. plus, the wood does give a rather uncharming sound in their case. silver or gold makes them sound much more clear & gracious & those would be expensive materials, I imagine. also, regular wooden fluits are always cheap-ass as hell!
    haha, oh yeah pics can sound great in the right context... but are god-awful as a solo instrument! anyway, that's not true about wood!!! Why else would wooden clarinets be sooooo damn expensive? Wood has a different resonance than metal. That's also why metal mouthpieces for woodwinds are less desirable (unless you're playing jazz) than wood or rubber. The brash, harsh sound of the metal works poorly for pic. For flute metal is great, just due to the overall difference in the sound. The most expensive piccolos I can find are made of wood. It just has to do with the intonation and response.

    this violin kind of came on my way. my teacher let me play on it, because he hated the one I had. he's very sensitive to these things. (as am I, by the way) he demanded I'd play on his violin. =) after a while he asked it back, because his uncle (Nello Mirando - his name is also Nello Mirando) wanted to use it for a concert. I then said I wanted to keep it & what its price was. he smiled & said it wasn't about the money. a thousand. 1000. I thought I just hit jackpot. total utter pure heaven. needless to say I sold my old one & bought this one immediately. man, I would've sticked with my old one forever, if this opportunity never would've came on my way.
    haha, that's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  2. #492
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    I wouldn't dream of "collecting" instruments. I want to play them, all of them. I have a piano, a guitar & of course my violin. the violin is what I concentrate on, to a certain point, because it's only an outlet & a hobby I just love to do. besides, I can't quit now. that would be a waste after 18 years. (*gasp* that's longer than I thought)
    actually, collecting doesn't necessarily mean that you don't use them... my goal in life is to become proficient on every common instrument (and some obscure ones). I've been playing sax for 12 years, so that's my focus. I actually do collect instruments, and can play all of them. I can play several instruments that I don't own, too. I have: an alto saxophone, a tenor saxophone, a flute, a clarinet, a trumpet, a trombone, a keyboard, a guitar, and a mandolin. I of course play sax well, I used to be really great at sax and also at flute. I can play clarinet and trumpet pretty dang well, trombone I'm still working on (not very good yet), keyboard/piano I still have some problems reading both treble and bass at the same time, but I can play it. guitar and mandolin I'm pretty decent at, and I play them the most often because they're the quietest so I can play them when people are sleeping.

    every instrument I've ever had, has certain qualities (as if they were different personalities), a certain sound, likes to be treated/played a certain way & has a soul to me. I literally screened the little girl (well, 16 year old) that wanted to buy my last violin. her parents found it a bit freaky, but the girl understood my point exactly & let me. even found it cute. that's what's so great about it. she understood that an instrument, which is basically just another object, can mean a whole lot more to a person than any other thing in the world.
    oh god, I know. I love your views on instruments. I actually was just talking about this kind of thing recently. I LOVE it when I see famous musicians who have all the money in the world, stay loyal to their instrument. It depresses me to watch musicians destroy instruments on stage. I lost a ton of respect for Ben Folds when he played a show near me, and he didn't like the reaction of the crowd (it was a free concert outside), so he trashed the piano that the school had rented for him. He just destroyed a piano. No respect. I also don't like it when a band has like 30 guitars during a show, and then next show, they have 30 different guitars. I dunno. It just seems like a lack of respect for the instrument. A couple of my instruments are junkers, but I treat them with respect, and know how they like to be played. You have no idea how much pain I went through when I saw that my Mandolin was warped. I don't want a new one! I LOVE the one I have... I've never sold one of my instruments, and I'd never want to. That would be so depressing. I will NEVER sell one of my saxophones. Even if I found the right person to buy them, I'd lack the ability to trust that they wouldn't ever sell it to the wrong person...

    I even feel bad that I barely play the guitar FOR my guitar. (reminds me, I forgot to pick it up last wednesday, but that's a whole other story) it's a beauty & it sounds fantastic! it doesn't lose its sound either, because it's a simple concept. but it's been brought into practice fantastically, because it really is a great guitar. & I barely play on it. because I just can't play the guitar & I'm too damn lazy to fully teach myself, like I kind of did with the piano. so now I want to sell it to someone who will play on it, but I barely trust anyone else with it. that's how pathetic I am.
    haha! that's too bad. I feel like a schmuck for not playing my sax in a while. I've not had time- when I'm home, everyone is sleeping My poor sax sits in a case, sitting out in my room, wishing to be played. And don't feel pathetic for that... do you have names for your instruments? I do. Now do you feel pathetic?

    so... can you imagine I would EVER collect instruments as items? maybe an old hornet that's hanging at a market & has been long forgotten, but even then I'll feel the urge to save it/bring it back to life & give it a use again. I'm terribly mushy when it comes to instruments. it's actually pretty pathetic, thinking about it.
    hornet? do you mean cornet? or am I just out of it? what's a hornet? I just keep thinking of a bee... anyway, I see what you mean. I really want to learn to play every instrument, and someday I want to have an entire room of my house devoted to music. Nothing but all my instruments and such set up in there, where I can just go to get away. I have a running list of instruments I want. Right now I have 9 of them, there are atleast 3 or 4 more that I want. I also play more instruments than I own (I also play drum set, marching snare drum, mellophone, french horn, baritone, bass, cello... and I sing, but that's not an instrument in the same way).

    I think we both have similar passions for music and instruments, yet completely different passions for them. haha. And you don't sound pretentious at all- I relate SO much, and think it's totally cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  3. #493
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Gt. Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    1,626


    Default

    I can't find a picture of the cello I have. Possibly because I don't know the model or... anything. I know as much as the fact that it's an Andreas Zeller cello, produced for Senator, and cost 700 second hand.
    I'll get a picture sometime.
    Black coat, white shoes, black hat, cadillac!

    MySpace
    MSN Space
    Lawl.

  4. #494
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Big Papple, Amsterdaamn.
    Posts
    16,379


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas
    do you have names for your instruments? I do. Now do you feel pathetic?


    hornet? do you mean cornet? or am I just out of it? what's a hornet? I just keep thinking of a bee...
    hahaha, oh my god, when really looking at it, my English is so crappy & I'm so full of shit. I guess it's just a horn then? the three meter long brass thing, rolled up to a playable ball of utter sentiment?

    "my" contrabass player (he's not actually mine [of course], but he's in a gypsy orchestra with me) calls his contrabass Kevin. yes. not kidding. it's the gayest name for such a huge fucking instrument ever. his other contrabass also has a male name & once our second violinste asked why he always gives his instruments male names & I replied, "because he never plays with females". he semi appreciated the joke, but yeah, he's indeed very homosexual. slightly bi, but mostly just very gay. & utterly fantastic. either way, so much for that lame joke.

    my instruments are just called what they are. my guitar is my guitar & that already has a gigantic emotional meaning attached to it, because it's mine, it's not just any guitar & it's The only guitar in the world for me. my guitar = the guitar, and so on, because that of course also goes for my violin & my piano. I never quite found a name that would suit any of my instruments & their sound. like "me Tarzan" they should be able to speak for themselves, or something. I don't know. I feel I wouldn't do them justice naming them. & not that anyone else can't name their instruments; I think that's fucking awesome. seriously. I just wouldn't know a name that includes everything they stand for to me. god, I already know I'm going to have such a difficult time naming my kids. *grins*

    I don't think I'll make one room for music & anything musical, when some day I'll hopefully get a house of my own. I haven't really thought about it, but subconsciously it's went through my mind, I'm sure. music has never had a defined "limited" place in my life. I never wanted to make it my job, I always wanted to keep it as a hobby in which I could express myself & that would be it. that seems limited, but that's what makes it very broad & causes the fact it's played a part in everything I do. from school to orchestra, to fraternity/sorority, to making a penny for candy, to any moodswings I needed to vent, to friends.... everything, really. I'd like to see some form of music in every room I live in. from paintings with instruments to actual instruments, things that generally have to do with it... I'd even use an old broken piano as a table & I'm serious about that. as long as I'm not too attached to it in the beginning & start using it as a table right away, it'll be a table to me.

    I'm not good at many instruments. I can barely play the guitar - I never put enough effort into it, which I'm ashamed for, because I wanted a guitar so bad, then got one & kind of neglected it. I can play the piano a bit. I can't really read the music from paper, but that's never been my specialty. I'm mostly good at listen&copying what I hear. violin I'm fine at. nothing too special - because I quit taking lessons ten years ago, the technique isn't too impressive. maybe you'll be able to find some files that didn't expire somewhere in this forumsection, so you'll know what I mean. viola I'm alright at, also cello. I can produce a tone out of brass instruments & also the wooden kinds like the bassoon, but I'm afraid that's where it pretty much ends for me. I can sing a bit, but I should limit myself to jazz, because my voice is extremely fucked up by cigarettes & alcohol. it already was low & a bit raspy to start with, but smoking & drinking never improved that. *giggle*

    I mostly just want to focuss on my violin. I'm scared I'll lose all focuss, if I get destracted by other instruments, wanting to learn how to play them. I begged my parents for a violin when I was two & they gave in when I was four with a lot of second thoughts & raised eyebrows - I just really shouldn't let it go. & since I'm pretty impulsive, moody, hyper & passionate, I could easily get caught up in something else. I have to be strict to myself. it serves the sole purpose of having an outlet, a way to express myself & I don't need much else than what I already have. anything else with that would only make priorities messy & blurry. so yes, I would love to be able to play more instruments, but I just.. can't. I have me to focuss on, my studies, my social life, my violin & those have been my priorities by choice forever & will always be most important.

    some conversation. I'm liking it. ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Bryan_420 View Post
    TOUGH SHIT! YOU WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT CAN'T PROVE I'M A HOMO! BEIN' PURE DOESN'T PROVE I'M HOMOSEXUAL ASSHOLE!

  5. #495
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Big Papple, Amsterdaamn.
    Posts
    16,379


    Default

    & SORRY that my posts are so huge. :/ I always tend to show a bit too much enthousiasm on this subject. I like hearing stuff about it (there are not many people I can discuss this with), telling about it, sharing ideas on it (mostly that), you name it. so I hope I didn't scare you with my gigantic essays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Bryan_420 View Post
    TOUGH SHIT! YOU WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT CAN'T PROVE I'M A HOMO! BEIN' PURE DOESN'T PROVE I'M HOMOSEXUAL ASSHOLE!

  6. #496
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    I'm pretty sure my posts are pretty damn long as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about it I am also enjoying this conversation. Fortunately a lot of my friends are music majors, so I get in some good conversation here and there... but none of them see it like I do. They all focus on one or two instruments.

    I think what you're talking about is just a horn. Can you post a photo? I could just be a complete moron here

    Kevin? haha, that's amazing. My alto saxophone's name is Humphrey, and he is very male. One time during a marching band rehearsal, we had a 10 minute break, so I went to use the bathroom... and I didn't take my sax off. I didn't care, I brought it in with me. I just didn't wanna set it down on the cement. Someone said something like "I can't believe you brought your saxophone in here!!! That's an invasion of privacy", and I said "don't worry, I'm making sure he closes his eyes. All 23 of them."
    That's the kind of dork I am, and how much of a character my instruments have to me. It's weird, too, because my alto sax is used- I got him from a musician in California. My tenor sax is brand spankin new. Just got it for christmas. And oh my GOD is he beautiful. Burnished brass... amazing. Yet. My alto, all used and with its scratches and tiny dents, is way more personal to me than this brand new god. Maybe it's because I've had it for 8 years, maybe because it was my first instrument of my own... I think it's because it's used. It feels lived in, you know? And I've thought about getting him relacquered and getting all the minor dents taken out.... just getting a complete overhaul. Or even saving up for a brand new alto. And I just don't want to. I'd be fine with getting another alto, even brand new... but none could ever replace the one I have.
    As far as a music room, the reason for that is because I want all my instruments to be playable, and I don't want just anyone to be able to mess with them. I have an issue with people who buy expensive instruments to put on display, but they don't actually know how to play them. I don't see them as display... I see them as something I use. I wrote a paper for my german civ class this past semester about my instrument collection... my professor left comments on my paper, asking if my instruments were on display and such. It grossed me out. But having a little bit of music in every room is something I could do. However, it's a personal thing to me. I wouldn't want my family to have to deal with having something music in every room... if my husband loved sports cars, I wouldn't want something with cars in every room, haha. That's just me.

    In addition to that, like I said, music is a personal thing to me. I started out as a music major, but quickly changed. I decided music was too personal and too much of a hobby. I took a couple music theory courses, and liked them, but found that they removed a deal of pleasure from performing music. I always liked performing for people, but in a personal way. Not for a bunch of people I didn't know. Judges were okay, but I liked playing for my friends and family. Not for big groups of people. That was never fun for me. In highschool, I was more or less depressed. And when I got depressed, instead of cutting myself or crying, I'd take out my saxophone and play for an hour. I didn't want such a personal part of my life to become entertainment for large groups of people I didn't know. And then I wanted to teach music, which would have been amazing in the end, but the way music would've gotten stripped for me in college would have hurt my feelings about it.

    I've played a lot of instruments, but the only ones I've played in a band or group are:
    alto sax
    tenor sax
    flute
    clarinet
    trumpet
    mellophone
    marching snare
    drum set

    The rest have just been for fun, in my own time. I've fallen out of practicing my saxophone. I don't mean to be egotistical, but I was damn good in highschool. Band directors and professional musicians told me I could've gotten into just about any music school. Then I stopped practicing. I hated my band director, so I stopped caring. I lost it. I really want to get it back. This summer I need to force myself to practice every day. I've spent too much time playing my guitar... that's not my love. My love is the saxophone... be it jazz, classical, rock... you name it. I need to get back into it. This conversation has definitely sparked me a little to really want to pick it back up Maybe sometime this summer I'll make a couple recordings, if I fulfill my wish to get back into it. And I don't mean I want to play... I've been playing since I was 10... I want to get GOOD again... I want to be able to pull off solo sonatas flawlessly... man. I wish I was 15 again. I'd have taken such a different direction with my sax...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  7. #497
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,563


    Default

    My school band has a gig as part of a showcase next week, in a pretty smick venue too, I must say. Our short setlist is as follows:

    Spawn - George
    Time is Running Out - Muse
    Vertigo - U2

    Most people would have heard the last two, however if anybody is interested (which I highly doubt) I can upload Spawn. It's a relatively diverse setlist.

    I should have some photos, and possibly video, from that gig, which should be fat with a PH.

    For now, something I've probably posted before.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnholyNightbringer
    Damn, she found me out. All I do is post on these forums and eat cheese in various forms.

    Noez.

  8. #498
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Big Papple, Amsterdaamn.
    Posts
    16,379


    Default

    llamas:
    right now I'm not in the mood to find a picture, but I think it's probably really just a horn I was talking about.

    an instrument with a past has something really special & mysterious about it. like, who's played on it before me, what did he/she play, did he/she treat it well, where has the instrument been, in what sort of buildings & to which countries..... but my last violin was new. really.. new. the parts came from a factory (so it'd be cheaper, but it still cost me around 2000), but they were put together by hand & with a lot of care. that gave it a special character you normally only see with hand made violins. not very overruling & explicit, but still. that thing was incredibly decent & I loved it loads. what I loved about it, is that I told the "builder" it didn't have a history with a rather disappointed look in my eyes. he bent forwards, put his hand on my shoulder & said; "but girl, you'll write it's history." he got me there. he could've sold me a more expensive one, but he'd already seen I what I wanted. I've taken it to Canada, Norway, Sweden, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, you name it. sometimes because my orchestra went on a concert tour, but also if I travelled, I wanted to take it with me. & I do feel I 'made' that thing's history. it's got a past of only a few years & I played on it in those years. so that adds a little something special. maybe that's why I had so much trouble selling it.

    the display of instruments I find absolutely disturbing. my boyfriend's family hunts for a sport & I'm MUCH more okay with the animals displayed in their home, than instruments pinned to a wall. that might sound ridiculous, but I know the reasons of his family for hunting, I know what they do with animals they shoot & they're NOT originally & intentionally for display. that's just how it can work out. but an instrument, looking perfectly good. I just don't get that. what kind of connection do people have with it, why is it hanging there, did anyone ever play on it, does anyone even care? for me that's frustrating.

    but the other day I was walking around at a market in Amsterdam & I found this horn they used to use for hunting. dented, useless now, rusty, but there was something about it. there are more instruments like that lying around there. I'd buy one of those, I think. I'm still considering it. I shouldn't go all softhearted over it, so I'm not sure yet. but after we had a piano, which would've cost over 20.000 to repair, I think it's wonderful to give a "useless" instrument at least SOME use again. because you can say what you want, but instruments ARE beautiful. they're just not made to hang to a wall as a worthless object. but the old instruments I see at the market really can't be used for anything, except display. & then it's a valuable referrence to music, I could possibly appreciate.
    about the piano, we sold it purely for it's outside, which was a magnificent outside. with ivory keys & pearl decorations, brass candle holders & a fantastic shade of wood. I would've loved to keep it - just because it was so beautiful to look at -, but at my parents it just stood in the way. bah, I still miss it in that hallway. *sigh*

    you can still take any direction you want. I don't know if you kept playing when you quit lessons, but either way, I know many people who picked up their instrument after years & became all enthousiastic again. it's of course frustrating that you won't be on the same level as when you quit playing, but you could see it as a motivation to get back to where you were & then top that level.

    as for playing in front of groups; I suck when I need to perform. be it in school, driving exams, first aid tests... I even once fainted at a math exam - just whenever such a thing came on my way, I would die. when I needed to accomplish something & everything depended on a tiny collection of moments.

    but.. it's different when I play the violin though. at first, when I played for a large crowd, I absolutely sucked. after a while I played for the people I knew & who came to hear & see me. to myself I said I didn't need to be nervous, because I was playing for them & they wouldn't judge me. I used that trick many times, mainly because it's just true. there are always certain people in the crowd you want to play for, even if it's just the little girl that smiled as soon as you started playing her favorite song. do you understand what I mean?

    I played in one & the same symphonic orchestra for over nine years & that was brilliant. it taught me something much more valuable than the stupid techniques everyone tried to teach me. it actually kind of helped me with the enormous performance anxiety I felt when taking exams in school. to let go of the scary thoughts, focuss on what you're doing & what you're doing it for & just letting the adrenaline come & embracing it in your veins. man, I learned to love it. after a few minutes of playing, I always lose myself in it & that's when it becomes the ultimate medicine against any piled up emotion you needed to vent. which is good, because I really don't have a choice with the kind of music I play now & my part in that than performing for large crowds.
    Last edited by JoY; 06-11-2006 at 12:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Bryan_420 View Post
    TOUGH SHIT! YOU WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT CAN'T PROVE I'M A HOMO! BEIN' PURE DOESN'T PROVE I'M HOMOSEXUAL ASSHOLE!

  9. #499
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,720


    Default

    Here's my shit-tacular bass & amp xD



    I also have a 1960 ish Fender Bronco Guitar... Ask for more pics if you want!

    Last edited by Harnum; 06-11-2006 at 02:41 PM.
    i'm upset, happiness is not a fish that you can catch.
    imagination can't resist the laziness.


    Flickr | YouTube

  10. #500
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1


    Default

    so now here is my guitar:

    it's a B.C.Rich warlock bronze series II

    i have no picture on the pc, so just....


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •