Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This morning, I am asking myself questions

Default This morning, I am asking myself questions

And a second one.

I am reading about a protestation about gay marriage in France and the newspaper qualifies it as a "homophobic protest".

So here is my question. It is that logical to think that a person against gay marriage is necessarily homophobic ?

Let me be clear, I am not homophobic and I am in favor of gay marriage.

But I am not sure that all these people protesting because they think that marriage was intended for a man and a woman to procreate are all homophobic.

What do you think ?

(oh yeah, and let me be accurate, it was a peaceful - and really weird - protestation involving a guy dressed as a bird, and I saw no signs saying "homosexuality is a sin" or things like that. Only "a marriage should be between a man and a woman" stuff)

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Were the people racist who protested marriages by saying marriage is between a man and a woman of the same race and not of different races? I'd say yes, absolutely. And they were overruled.

I don't see how non-homophobic people would protest gay marriage.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

I don't see any homophobia in protesting against marriage for gay people necessarily, but it's most likely to be homophobic. If you have a mob, for sure the majority is dump and some are reasonable, but those will always be overlooked. Dumb and obnoxious people are always be the first choice for media in general because they're the first to speak and the loudest as well.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Homophobia is a weird word. Most homophobes are not afraid of gays (though some are... think they're a threat, think they're dangerous child molesters... etc). Most just hate gays. They're anti-equality, anti-gay... but homophobic is just a strange word. Maybe we should call them sexualityists? haha.

That aside, I don't think being anti-gay always means hatred of gays, or what we define as "homophobia". I think it's mostly religious intolerance, which is just as bad, though.

Also, I really hate it when people who support gay marriage use the argument that you should be pro-gay marriage unless you wanna be on the "losing side" in history books... it's depressing to think that people support equal marriage for that reason, and belittles gay relationships :-/ Sometimes gay "allies" really piss me off in general, though. Many have the right attitude and truly support equality, but sometimes I get so mad. My former best friend from college is absolutely one of such people.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I'm pro-marriage, AKA anti-gay-marriage.
    That being said, I'm not homophobic. I don't fear gays. They're not all child molesters, just like not all straight people are rapists. Maybe I've known some gays in the past; I don't really know. I don't really care. So long as no gay guy asks me to fuck, I don't think it's an issue. But marriage is between two persons of the opposite sex. A civil union is anything else. And I think that we ought to deal with much more serious issues before yakking about gay marriage. In other words, leave TMZ- styled "gay gay gay" blather to TMZ.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    And I think that we ought to deal with much more serious issues before yakking about gay marriage.
    And yet the Republicans are wasting everyone's time and money, trying to pass these stupid amendments to redefine marriage in the constitution...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

People who are against gay marriage are bigots.

Sometimes they're very polite about the way they present their views, but bigotry is still bigotry, even if its got a smiling face.

"I'm not a racist, I just don't want that black man drinking from MY water-fountain and riding MY public bus".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Llamas, homophobia is only a fear of gays in the literal "phobos-means-fear" sense. Homophobia is a hatred of gays. I have literally never in my life heard an argument against gay marriage that wasn't based in hate.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post

Sometimes they're very polite about the way they present their views, but bigotry is still bigotry, even if its got a smiling face.

"I'm not a racist, I just don't want that black man drinking from MY water-fountain and riding MY public bus".
    For fucking real.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post

I really could not have said it better myself! It disturbs me especially to hear black people talk about how gays should have limited/no marriage rights -- it's like we've forgotten that we have also been dehumanized and marginalized along the same lines and for the same (flimsy, non-existent) reasons. Really shocking that in this day and age, we're still overly concerned with what "marriage" means (in a supposedly secular nation) and whether or not two people who love each other (or don't -- loveless hetero marriages happen every day, but no one seems too concerned about them) should have the right to create an eternal (or not-so-eternal!) bond between them, to share their wealth and resources, to visit each other in the hospital, and so on.

If it were up to me, ALL marriages, same-sex, genderless, and otherwise, would be called civil unions. These civil unions would grant the exact same rights and benefits as marriage. Then if you wanted to get traditionally "married," you could go to a church and have a ceremony. That church ceremony would grant you absolutely no rights whatsoever, but it would be fun...if you and your friends like that sort of thing.

edit: Seriously, polite arguments against gay marriage make me feel slightly ill. I would almost rather someone just yell about how they hate f*****ts and d**es than hear "Oh, I have no problem with gays, I just think that their lives should be arbitrarily restricted because THE BIBLE" or some such nonsense.
    Last edited by prettyflyforablackchick; 10-24-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Llamas, homophobia is only a fear of gays in the literal "phobos-means-fear" sense.
    Exactly. In common usage a "homophobe" is anyone who believes homosexuality is somehow intrinsically wrong. I don't believe that all homophobes hate homosexuals though. They hate homosexuality, but not necessarily the actual homosexual person. I think this can be an important distinction, particularly when deciding whether it's worth trying to reason with them.

Quote Originally Posted by prettyflyforablackchick View Post
    I really could not have said it better myself! It disturbs me especially to hear black people talk about how gays should have limited/no marriage rights -- it's like we've forgotten that we have also been dehumanized and marginalized along the same lines and for the same (flimsy, non-existent) reasons. Really shocking that in this day and age, we're still overly concerned with what "marriage" means (in a supposedly secular nation) and whether or not two people who love each other (or don't -- loveless hetero marriages happen every day, but no one seems too concerned about them) should have the right to create an eternal (or not-so-eternal!) bond between them, to share their wealth and resources, to visit each other in the hospital, and so on.

If it were up to me, ALL marriages, same-sex, genderless, and otherwise, would be called civil unions. These civil unions would grant the exact same rights and benefits as marriage. Then if you wanted to get traditionally "married," you could go to a church and have a ceremony. That church ceremony would grant you absolutely no rights whatsoever, but it would be fun...if you and your friends like that sort of thing.
    I absolutely love everything about this post. If you're ever desperately seeking someone to have a civil union with give me a call.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks