Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Once popular groups that no one cares about anymore

Default Once popular groups that no one cares about anymore

It's no secret that If you're a one hit wonder, a severe and sudden drop-off in the size of your fan base is inevitable. But some bands manage to fade completely into obscurity despite having a significant period of popularity and a fan base that once took them seriously. In some cases, this even happens to bands who had more than one popular album. And furthermore, while a band like The Offspring isn't quite what you'd call the most relevant, they've at least maintained a sizable base of hardcore fans. Yet, this isn't the case for other groups. Here are some that I can think of:

Hoobastank
    Velvet Revolver
    Bush

I honestly don't know one person that remains a fan of any of these bands despite them having success over an extended period of time.
    Last edited by bighead384; 10-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Smash Mouth

I looked them up randomly a couple weeks ago, out of curiosity: the only shows they seem to play these days are like State Fairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Smash Mouth.
    For that I would like to refer you to my last month's top 5.

Actually I've been a fan of them for a long time, especially they're early punk stuff. Magic's alright too, that album came out probably right after you last checked them. Check out Perfect Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    I looked them up randomly a couple weeks ago, out of curiosity: the only shows they seem to play these days are like State Fairs.
    As far as I know they haven't really toured outside of the US for years now... and it's mainly fairs indeed. Though I would definitely travel a bit to see them play.
    * !

I disagree with Bush being on this list, but otherwise solid choices.

I always tend to think of late 90s alternative bands like Tonic, Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon. No one cares about those bands at all anymore.

From the mid-90s there were a bunch of bands that I guess you could call "post-grunge" who are also good choices for the list. Seven Mary Three? Days of the New? Candlebox? Cracker? Oleander? Lolz to all of those.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 10-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    I disagree with Bush being on this list, but otherwise solid choices.

I always tend to think of late 90s alternative bands like Tonic, Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon. No one cares about those bands at all anymore.
    All good additions. But you'd insist that Bush still has a respectable fan base? I sure as hell haven't noticed. Bush seems to have a couple songs that you might still hear at a sports arena or jukebox, but I don't know anyone that is actually into their whole discography and takes them seriously. I might be wrong though...they were awfully successful at one time.

Eve 6 come to mind. You hear "Here's to the Night" and "Inside Out" on the radio sometimes, but after that, nothing. Another one that i still like (their early shit at least) is Lit. Every now and then I'll blast "My Own Worst Enemy" or "Zip Lock", but their new album wasn't good at all.

Fuel had a string of hits, but now you don't hear anything from them. It's the same with the band Filter too.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

3 Doors Down. They were a massive hit pretty recently, but I never hear that name now.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

I think people still care about bush the new album they put out last year did better then i thought it would

I would add
    Everclear
    Third Eye Blind
    Marcy Playground
    SR-71
    Limp Bizkit
    Creed

Hmm, the past few posts mention bands that don't quite fit the criteria. I'm talking about bands that were popular for an extended period of time. Basically, that means they had more than one album that had commercial or critical success and built up a large fan base than all but disappeared upon their decline.

SR-71 was basically a one hit wonder.

Here's one:

Hawthorne Heights. Two gold albums. Reached "next big thing" status at the height of their popularity and were icons of their genre. Now literally no one gives a shit about them.
    Last edited by bighead384; 10-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.