Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Once popular groups that no one cares about anymore

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,350


    Default Once popular groups that no one cares about anymore

    It's no secret that If you're a one hit wonder, a severe and sudden drop-off in the size of your fan base is inevitable. But some bands manage to fade completely into obscurity despite having a significant period of popularity and a fan base that once took them seriously. In some cases, this even happens to bands who had more than one popular album. And furthermore, while a band like The Offspring isn't quite what you'd call the most relevant, they've at least maintained a sizable base of hardcore fans. Yet, this isn't the case for other groups. Here are some that I can think of:

    Hoobastank
    Velvet Revolver
    Bush

    I honestly don't know one person that remains a fan of any of these bands despite them having success over an extended period of time.
    Last edited by bighead384; 10-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg/The GTA
    Posts
    5,779


    Default

    Smash Mouth

    I looked them up randomly a couple weeks ago, out of curiosity: the only shows they seem to play these days are like State Fairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    11,126


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Smash Mouth.
    For that I would like to refer you to my last month's top 5.


    Actually I've been a fan of them for a long time, especially they're early punk stuff. Magic's alright too, that album came out probably right after you last checked them. Check out Perfect Planet.

    Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    I looked them up randomly a couple weeks ago, out of curiosity: the only shows they seem to play these days are like State Fairs.
    As far as I know they haven't really toured outside of the US for years now... and it's mainly fairs indeed. Though I would definitely travel a bit to see them play.
    * !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,871


    Default

    I disagree with Bush being on this list, but otherwise solid choices.

    I always tend to think of late 90s alternative bands like Tonic, Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon. No one cares about those bands at all anymore.

    From the mid-90s there were a bunch of bands that I guess you could call "post-grunge" who are also good choices for the list. Seven Mary Three? Days of the New? Candlebox? Cracker? Oleander? Lolz to all of those.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 10-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,350


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    I disagree with Bush being on this list, but otherwise solid choices.

    I always tend to think of late 90s alternative bands like Tonic, Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon. No one cares about those bands at all anymore.
    All good additions. But you'd insist that Bush still has a respectable fan base? I sure as hell haven't noticed. Bush seems to have a couple songs that you might still hear at a sports arena or jukebox, but I don't know anyone that is actually into their whole discography and takes them seriously. I might be wrong though...they were awfully successful at one time.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Where deserts rats dwell
    Posts
    4,426


    Default

    Eve 6 come to mind. You hear "Here's to the Night" and "Inside Out" on the radio sometimes, but after that, nothing. Another one that i still like (their early shit at least) is Lit. Every now and then I'll blast "My Own Worst Enemy" or "Zip Lock", but their new album wasn't good at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    17,981


    Default

    Sugar Ray
    Collective Soul
    The Offspring (lol)
    The Killers
    Incubus
    Matchbox 20


    Third Eye Blind is still a legit good band. For real. And I still appreciate Tonic, but I haven't checked out anything from them since like 2004. They were actually a good band, though. And Bush definitely still has a lot of fans - even this BBS had a thread about Bush's new album last year. I saw Gavin Rossdale in concert a couple years ago - was a great show.

    Hoobastank and Everclear are my favorite additions to this thread so far

    Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon... each of those bands I think pretty much just had one hit, so I dunno if they really count. Same for Marcy Playground.

    Eve 6 definitely doesn't count because they broke up after their third album, and only recently reunited. I think this only counts for bands that are still making music.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    17,981


    Default

    I just looked up Hoobastank for the first time in probably a decade... Running Away was a pretty good song, but The Reason was terrible. Also, Hoobastank was such a huge Incubus-wannabe, and I don't think I ever noticed that when they were popular. Incubus was far better, though, despite Brendan Boyd being a pretentious douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,871


    Default

    The Reason is one of the absolute worst songs ever.

    Vertical Horizon had a few hits, but they were all from the same album, and all were popular within a very small window of time.

    Third Eye Blind- don't get me wrong, I absolutely love their first album and it was super important to me, but I haven't been able to get too into their new stuff. It is true that they have had a really unusual resurgence in popularity in the past several years, however, and therefore don't belong in this thread. I think I read that they were the #1 most requested band at college campuses. But I think that's 100% due to nostalgia, and not because they're still a really good band. They're pretty much becoming the Journey of the 90s.

    I think their first album was one of the first albums that our generation understood better than our elders did. Music critics and older siblings made fun of us for listening to it, and now years later we've revisited it and said "Hey, this album is actually really good! For once my former self was not a total idiot! Suck it, haters!"
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    17,981


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    The Reason is one of the absolute worst songs ever.
    Absofuckinlutely. I hate that song. It's on par with that "All of My Life" song by Lenny Kravitz.

    Vertical Horizon had a few hits, but they were all from the same album, and all were popular within a very small window of time.
    Really? I only ever knew Everything You Want. Nevermind... I just Youtubed them... I know this "You're a God" song. They weren't a terrible band, but pretty bland. Still, two songs... unless there are others which I'm not finding on Youtube, I still dunno if that counts.

    Looking up Vertical Horizon reminded me of another one: Switchfoot. They were pretty big like ten years ago, with quite a few hits over a few albums. I actually kinda dug them - they had a few legit good songs. (I'm always amused when people get in Youtube fights over stupid shit. Like, it's expected on a video that's about gay marriage or abortion... but when a fight thread breaks out due to someone hating a song, it's just hilarious to read.)

    Third Eye Blind- don't get me wrong, I absolutely love their first album and it was super important to me, but I haven't been able to get too into their new stuff. It is true that they have had a really unusual resurgence in popularity in the past several years, however, and therefore don't belong in this thread. I think I read that they were the #1 most requested band at college campuses. But I think that's 100% due to nostalgia, and not because they're still a really good band. They're pretty much becoming the Journey of the 90s.
    I gotta disagree. I actually think their first album was not that great, minus the last three songs which are fucking epic and straight-up amazing music. However, some of their more recent albums have been pretty high quality. I quite enjoy their album, Ursa Major. Like, I totally dig this song.


    Also, The Wallflowers, and that one is just sad, because they're a damn good band. Really, really damn good.
    Last edited by Llamas; 10-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •