Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Once popular groups that no one cares about anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    I saw theOffspring 2 years ago and 311 was not there, it was just the Offspring. Then again it was an outdoor fest.
    your lucky they were really awful my friend wanted to see them but i convinced him to leave after 10 songs because they were so bad live

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    The Reason is one of the absolute worst songs ever.
    Absofuckinlutely. I hate that song. It's on par with that "All of My Life" song by Lenny Kravitz.

Vertical Horizon had a few hits, but they were all from the same album, and all were popular within a very small window of time.
    Really? I only ever knew Everything You Want. Nevermind... I just Youtubed them... I know this "You're a God" song. They weren't a terrible band, but pretty bland. Still, two songs... unless there are others which I'm not finding on Youtube, I still dunno if that counts.

Looking up Vertical Horizon reminded me of another one: Switchfoot. They were pretty big like ten years ago, with quite a few hits over a few albums. I actually kinda dug them - they had a few legit good songs. (I'm always amused when people get in Youtube fights over stupid shit. Like, it's expected on a video that's about gay marriage or abortion... but when a fight thread breaks out due to someone hating a song, it's just hilarious to read.)

Third Eye Blind- don't get me wrong, I absolutely love their first album and it was super important to me, but I haven't been able to get too into their new stuff. It is true that they have had a really unusual resurgence in popularity in the past several years, however, and therefore don't belong in this thread. I think I read that they were the #1 most requested band at college campuses. But I think that's 100% due to nostalgia, and not because they're still a really good band. They're pretty much becoming the Journey of the 90s.
    I gotta disagree. I actually think their first album was not that great, minus the last three songs which are fucking epic and straight-up amazing music. However, some of their more recent albums have been pretty high quality. I quite enjoy their album, Ursa Major. Like, I totally dig this song.

Also, The Wallflowers, and that one is just sad, because they're a damn good band. Really, really damn good.
    Last edited by Llamas; 10-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I was going through my cds and I found my Switchfoot cd. I forgot I had it. Listened to it and I was totally re-minded why I liked it so much.

I agree with you The Wallflowers are a damn good band.

What about the Gin Blossoms? They had a couple of great songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    I was going through my cds and I found my Switchfoot cd. I forgot I had it. Listened to it and I was totally re-minded why I liked it so much.
    Minus the religious lyrics (I'm not religious and find religious lyrics kinda annoying, but lyrics are so much less important for me than music itself), they are/were a really good band. Really some fantastic songs.

I agree with you The Wallflowers are a damn good band.
    Definitely, and I like Jakob Dylan's solo work, too, but the Wallflowers were quite a bit better than him alone.

What about the Gin Blossoms? They had a couple of annoying songs.
    Fixed that for you I have a high school friend who loves the Gin Blossoms, so I've been dragged along to a couple concerts... they suck so, so much.

I'm not religious either Llamas so I know what you mean.
    Last edited by Tiny Vessels; 10-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I gotta disagree. I actually think their first album was not that great, minus the last three songs which are fucking epic and straight-up amazing music. However, some of their more recent albums have been pretty high quality. I quite enjoy their album, Ursa Major. Like, I totally dig this song.
    Ha, I used to say that if you listened to the last four songs on their first album with a girl, it would highly increase the chances of sex. I haven't heard many people say that their newest stuff is better than their first album, but I do love scattered moments of their third and fourth albums, particularly "Faster," and "Can't Get Away" from Out of the Vein, and "Sharp Knife" from Ursa Major. Blue is pretty good, just really disjointed, which makes sense given all of the tension going on in the band at that time. Out of the Vein has several good songs, but overall the album leaves me with a weird feeling and I almost always skip lots of tracks. Ursa Major is probably more solid overall than Out of the Vein, but it sounds like a different band to me, probably because it is one... only two original members left. It also has a few too many smarmy and cheesy moments for me.

I guess I just like the first album because it came out during a big period of general music discovery for me, and it's one of the only albums from that era that has aged well for me. It is sort of hard not to be sick of the shit-ton of singles from it, I do still appreciate that the guitar work is great throughout, the lyrics are sort of emblematic of its time period, and as you said it just closes brilliantly.

As I was looking through my 3eb music in my iTunes just now, I noticed another band that would be a perfect addition to this thread: Toad the Wet Sprocket. I remember I liked that "Walk on the Ocean" song, and even though I ALWAYS hated that "All I Want" song (not the Offspring song stfu), which was the only other one that anyone knew, for some ungodly reason I decided to get the whole album. Fucking horrible, piece of shit album. I don't even know why the fuck I ever liked Walk on the Ocean.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 10-28-2012 at 03:31 AM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Ha, I used to say that if you listened to the last four songs on their first album with a girl, it would highly increase the chances of sex.
    Haha, I Want You is totally a sex song. I like that song, but it's not a masterpiece like the combination of The Background/Motorcycle Drive-by/God of Wine... I dunno if those songs are really sexy, either :P

I haven't heard many people say that their newest stuff is better than their first album, but I do love scattered moments of their third and fourth albums, particularly "Faster," and "Can't Get Away" from Out of the Vein, and "Sharp Knife" from Ursa Major. Blue is pretty good, just really disjointed, which makes sense given all of the tension going on in the band at that time. Out of the Vein has several good songs, but overall the album leaves me with a weird feeling and I almost always skip lots of tracks. Ursa Major is probably more solid overall than Out of the Vein, but it sounds like a different band to me, probably because it is one... only two original members left. It also has a few too many smarmy and cheesy moments for me.
    I dunno if I'd say Ursa Major is better than the self-titled as a whole, but I do think it's more solid. There are a lot of songs on S/T that I've always skipped, but Ursa Major is good throughout. I agree about Blue - that's by far their worst album. Very disjointed, and far too poppy/slicked-over. Out of the Vein is alright... which songs on Ursa Major do you find cheesy, though? I also didn't know that another member left the band. When Kevin left the band, I assumed they were finished for good... especially with how bad Blue was. But they came back with a decent effort in Out of the Vein, and then I felt they really came back with Ursa Major.

I guess I just like the first album because it came out during a big period of general music discovery for me, and it's one of the only albums from that era that has aged well for me. It is sort of hard not to be sick of the shit-ton of singles from it, I do still appreciate that the guitar work is great throughout, the lyrics are sort of emblematic of its time period, and as you said it just closes brilliantly.
    Here I have to agree with you. I will always love the S/T album, due to it being one of my first like 6 albums and it coming out when I was just discovering music. Plus I agree it's one of the few that has aged well for me. My first few albums were Alanis's first two, Jewel Pieces of You, Cher Believe, Natalie Imbruglia Left of the Middle, Eve 6, NSYNC, City of Angels soundtrack, Third Eye Blind, and Chumbawamba Tubthumper. Cher and NSYNC I only listen to nowadays for pure nostalgia, well aware of how terrible it is. Natalie and Jewel I can still appreciate (their old stuff - new stuff sucks), but I hardly ever listen to them anymore. The old Eve 6 albums are great, but when they reunited, they'd lost it. But I still love those first three albums. I don't listen to that Chumbawamba album anymore, but it introduced me to them and they've got INCREDIBLE stuff if you exclude that album. And City of Angels soundtrack is pretty solid, but I never listen to soundtracks anymore. Alanis and 3eb are the only two that really stuck for me, where I still willingly to this day listen to those albums and truly enjoy them, while also enjoying and appreciating their new stuff... though Alanis is still one of my top artists and I anticipate every album.

As I was looking through my 3eb music in my iTunes just now, I noticed another band that would be a perfect addition to this thread: Toad the Wet Sprocket. I remember I liked that "Walk on the Ocean" song, and even though I ALWAYS hated that "All I Want" song (not the Offspring song stfu), which was the only other one that anyone knew, for some ungodly reason I decided to get the whole album. Fucking horrible, piece of shit album. I don't even know why the fuck I ever liked Walk on the Ocean.
    I only remember one song by them, and it was Hey Bulldog. Because it was on the I Know What You Did Last Summer album, which I bought because of the Offspring Otherwise, I honestly didn't know that band at all. Were they really that popular?

I have a really bad impression of 3EB. First of all, the frontman acted like such a lame douche when I saw them at a DC radio festival that The Offspring played at. He kept saying all these typical hippie one-liners, like "unite as one" and shit like that. Me and my friend occasionally laugh about it. I didn't think they were all that great either. I don't like the lyrics to that "I want something else" song. He's bragging about doing lines of coke and it just rubs me the wrong way. I usually don't care about others drug use, but it just seems weird in that particular song.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Steven Jenkins is a ridiculous douche. In 2002, I went to a Goo Goo Dolls concert and Third Eye Blind was one of the openers... they were awful. I think Jenkins was probably drunk or on something, and he was just a totally pompous dick who barely sung and left most of the singing to the audience - even in songs that weren't singles, and it wasn't even THEIR show. Their song topics are also often uninteresting to me, but I'm not a lyrics person usually. I don't consider myself a big fan, I only bought their S/T album, would never pay to see them again... but they write some solid songs. Good music.

Was about to say more or less the same thing. He's rather known for being a douche.

For instance, I admit that this interview is actually fucking hilarious, but still, my God he's being an unnecessary douche here. And rather creepy.

He also used to be in an early '90s hip-hop duo that had a song on the Beverly Hills 90210 soundtrack. Also pretty hilarious. You could say that he's not exactly the most self-aware dude on the planet.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 10-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"