Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a lie?

Hybrid View

Default What is a lie?

What do you consider to be lying. I define a lie as telling someone something which is not true. A lie does not have to be intentional. You can do something that you do not think is deceitful and it can still be a lie if another individual sees this as not being completely upfront. You can make a debate about what is really "true" and what is not "true" but in this instance "truth" is based on observation and factual evidence. A lie for example can be , if you ask a friend to go to an Offspring concert with you and they say "no I will be busy that night I have to study for an upcoming exam", and then you go on twitter and find them on twitter for an hour on end(hey going for half the show is better than not going at all, especially when this is one of your best friends). Would you consider that lying? What if you confront them about it and they say, that it is just part of their daily routine. This is more than likely the truth but what makes it a lie is the fact they did not tell you they had to make time in their day for their "routine", and they just told you they were busy due to studying. It doesn't matter anyways because I think that studying should supersede social networking because if I had an important exam coming up I would not be messing around on twitter or whatever, I would be studying.

Haveth we a troll here?
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    Haveth we a troll here?
    so bighead can ask dumb questions and cause chaos but I can't post a serous question?

I am not calling anyone out here, I am just asking how you guys view lying and deception.

*sigh* Why do you insist on dragging personal drama here on the forum where it doesn't belong?
    Preempting your response to that: just because you didn't mention my name doesn't mean it's any less personal drama.
    Also, you can't contort the definition of a word to fit what you want it to mean; the meanings of words aren't opinions. That's like a religious person saying that praying for good health is medicine. In addition to that, you also can't twist the implications of others to fit your desires when what you want it to mean wasn't actually said or made clear.
    Also, it's not the end of the world tonight. Other nights exist.
    *goes to read chemistry chapter 8 and occasionally tweet*
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 11-26-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    *sigh* Why do you insist on dragging personal drama here on the forum where it doesn't belong?
    Preempting your response to that: just because you didn't mention my name doesn't mean it's any less personal drama.
    Also, you can't contort the definition of a word to fit what you want it to mean; the meanings of words aren't opinions. That's like a religious person saying that praying for good health is medicine.
    *goes to read chemistry chapter 8 and occasionally tweet*
    You poor science-tortured minion. Let Dr. Richtofen help your suffering.

Nah, I'm not suffering from this. I am genetically-hardwired for things like this to not stress me out, but it is tiresome.
    BTW, I don't play Call of Duty.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Nah, I'm not suffering from this. I am genetically-hardwired for things like this to not stress me out, but it is tiresome.
    Oh, okay. Nevermind that Dr.Richtofen thing then.
    And are you two married or something? You bicker quite a bit, and then go right back to being friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    Oh, okay. Nevermind that Dr.Richtofen thing then.
    And are you two married or something? You bicker quite a bit, and then go right back to being friendly.
    No, but he probably wishes we were. It's the head-butting of two aspies who see the meanings of many things differently. We get along great until we happen upon a subject we have different views on, then all hell seems to break loose because we can't get the other to even understand why we think the way we do. He gets too emotional and I'm not emotional enough, which just makes things worse. I'm sorry you guys are collateral damage when the issues pop up on the forum.

My god, you two are tiresome. This is just obnoxious.

And yes, the definitions of words can totally be debated. They are not concrete, they are not solid facts. They are not like 1 + 1 = 2. They're not completely without ANY structure, but most words' meanings can be discussed and disagreed on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    My god, you two are tiresome. This is just obnoxious.

And yes, the definitions of words can totally be debated. They are not concrete, they are not solid facts. They are not like 1 + 1 = 2. They're not completely without ANY structure, but most words' meanings can be discussed and disagreed on.
    How am I tiresome? I never post shit like this on the forum.