Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: What is a lie?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    People's Republic of Cork
    Posts
    1,901


    Default

    Exactly. Although I set time aside for my thesis, it doesn't mean that I'll be motivated at that time, or whatever. I wouldn't say it's "lying", that's just a bit ridiculous. If my friends got annoyed at me over stupid shit like that, they could go fuck themselves.

    And I don't like planning out my day like that.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    4,717


    Default

    If you can't be bothered to read the entire thread then why bother posting?
    Well, I posted to ask that you not talk about your fights with MK here. She clearly didn't consent to it. At least ask her permission next time.

    Quote Originally Posted by bornlie View Post
    I believe this ties into what I said before with lying. My OCD gives me that strict, "military" sense of honor, time, and other sense of definitions.
    But you do realize not everyone has OCD? You can't hold someone to the standards of your disorder. Anyway, the thing about your situation is...how long does it take to tweet? A few seconds, then you get back to work? I'm sure that if MK could instantly teleport to the show for a song or so, then get back to work, she would rather do that than tweet. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get ready for the show, travel to and from it, and sit in the crowd. Plus money and getting in the mindset of going out (though that could just be for lazy folk like me). All told, at least three hours. Which is three hours with absolutely no study time, as opposed to the same amount of time, with short breaks. It wasn't a lie because she probably spent most of the time doing what she said she would. The one thing I will give you is that I would never choose studying over Offspring.
    My myoosik:

    The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,076


    Default

    I'm of the group of people who always means to do something, but never gets around to it till I'm down to the wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    129


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Exactly. Although I set time aside for my thesis, it doesn't mean that I'll be motivated at that time, or whatever. I wouldn't say it's "lying", that's just a bit ridiculous. If my friends got annoyed at me over stupid shit like that, they could go fuck themselves.

    And I don't like planning out my day like that.
    So if you are having a day where you think you may not feel like doing it why not put it off for another day? please share your definition of lying

    Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Well, I posted to ask that you not talk about your fights with MK here. She clearly didn't consent to it. At least ask her permission next time.


    But you do realize not everyone has OCD? You can't hold someone to the standards of your disorder. Anyway, the thing about your situation is...how long does it take to tweet? A few seconds, then you get back to work? I'm sure that if MK could instantly teleport to the show for a song or so, then get back to work, she would rather do that than tweet. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get ready for the show, travel to and from it, and sit in the crowd. Plus money and getting in the mindset of going out (though that could just be for lazy folk like me). All told, at least three hours. Which is three hours with absolutely no study time, as opposed to the same amount of time, with short breaks. It wasn't a lie because she probably spent most of the time doing what she said she would. The one thing I will give you is that I would never choose studying over Offspring.
    This was not personal. If i wanted to bring a personal issue to here i would simply title a thread with the person's thread I wanted to call out or I would include their name in the thread. I do not BS, I am upfront. She think's this is personal because we had a discussion about lying and I happen to have a different opinion. I have OCD and Aspergers syndrome, these two things make me view words and definition in a more black and white, concrete sense. I know other's are not like this and this is why I am posting this thread.....
    The discussion I had with her made me wonder as to how others saw this concept. I was just curious as to the opinions of others since we all have different views and backgrounds seeing as how this forum is worldwide. I am always trying to learn from other's in order to better myself. I have some friends that have as strict codes of morality and strict guidelines on what they call lying. Even when these friends and I disagree on what "lying" is we still agree that an individual who turns another person down due to a reason that is potentially not important(as you can tell by the time wasting), is thought to be unreliable. My definition of lying is probably not to far off from my definition of "unreliable" but the two do go hand in hand a lot of the time in my opinion.
    Last edited by bornlie; 11-27-2012 at 01:38 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    People's Republic of Cork
    Posts
    1,901


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornlie View Post
    So if you are having a day where you think you may not feel like doing it why not put it off for another day? please share your definition of lying
    Well let's just say that if someone were to ask me to hang out while I had work to do (whether or not I'd end up doing it), I'd say "not tonight, I'm going to try work on whatever". Just because I don't end up doing something doesn't make me a liar, it just means that I didn't get around to doing what I had planned. And everyone I know does this too. It's normal.

    Lying would be me saying that no, I plan on doing work or whatever, without having any intention of doing work. And even at that, who cares. I've sometimes said that I can't come out, and use my thesis as an excuse, and just sit at home doing nothing, not even attempting to work on my thesis. It's no big deal.

    Other lies can be a big deal, but not in this scenario.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,044


    Default

    My god, you two are tiresome. This is just obnoxious.

    And yes, the definitions of words can totally be debated. They are not concrete, they are not solid facts. They are not like 1 + 1 = 2. They're not completely without ANY structure, but most words' meanings can be discussed and disagreed on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,657


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornlie View Post
    Exactly, you can't contort the definitions of words. Some individuals do contort the definitions of words. They may not mean to but they do. My conclusion is that we all have definitions of certain words, some of us even have definitions that shift, while others stick to a more strict adherence to meanings. I personally stick to a more strict definition when it comes to stuff like honestly, truth, lying, justice, and so forth. This is why I do not like politics, politicians lie and they never admit it, or even realize they are lying. I think Obama is a liar while other people do not. They change their opinions when in a position of trust, and when in a position of trust people should be careful in constantly changing what they say and mean. Politicians also sometimes forget what they said and later on their words come across to lies as others. I do not contort or twist anything, I tell it like it is.

    Also i brought this here because I think it is a fascinating subject. I also think that having the subject here allows you and others to see it when you otherwise wouldn't have even given it a chance.
    Your personal definitions only apply to you, not the world around you. You can't just enforce your views on everyone else, or you'd be like those people who shove religion down others' throats.
    Dude, you do not contort the definition of a lie?
    Here are the definitions.
    noun
    1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
    2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture.
    3. an inaccurate or false statement.
    4. the charge or accusation of lying.

    verb
    5. to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
    6. to express what is false; convey a false impression.

    You choose only to apple 3 to me. If that were all it took for something to be a lie, then if you asked me how the weather was and I said sunny, then a few minutes later it became overcast, I would have lied. Or if you asked me what my favorite food was and I say hot dogs, forgetting about ice cream, then that's a lie too. Or, god forbid you ask me what the life span of a wolf is and I give you the life span of a captive wolf when you wanted the life span of a wild wolf. Or even if I said I would be online the next day, but realized I had a doctor's appointment and didn't show up. That's a lie just because I didn't tell you about the appointment when I realized I had it? It makes no sense and isn't fair.
    Uhh, seems like your plan backfired. I have not read one response from the others that agree with how you see it. So I'm not the problem here. Though, I haven't read page 3, yet.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,657


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    My god, you two are tiresome. This is just obnoxious.

    And yes, the definitions of words can totally be debated. They are not concrete, they are not solid facts. They are not like 1 + 1 = 2. They're not completely without ANY structure, but most words' meanings can be discussed and disagreed on.
    How am I tiresome? I never post shit like this on the forum.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,657


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    But you do realize not everyone has OCD? You can't hold someone to the standards of your disorder. Anyway, the thing about your situation is...how long does it take to tweet? A few seconds, then you get back to work? I'm sure that if MK could instantly teleport to the show for a song or so, then get back to work, she would rather do that than tweet. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get ready for the show, travel to and from it, and sit in the crowd. Plus money and getting in the mindset of going out (though that could just be for lazy folk like me). All told, at least three hours. Which is three hours with absolutely no study time, as opposed to the same amount of time, with short breaks. It wasn't a lie because she probably spent most of the time doing what she said she would. The one thing I will give you is that I would never choose studying over Offspring.
    Oh, that didn't happen. He pulled in elements of an nonexistant story and mingled it with what really happened...*gasp* My god, he LIED!
    I put studying in front of Offspring only if it's not something that is happening live. If it's a web video, I may watch and then study or I might decide to watch it later. If it's a live stream or a concert, I put that before everything else.
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 11-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,452


    Default

    I really wanted bornlie to reply to my post, so I didn't say this early, but it doesn't look like he'll be replying. Anyway, Im not the only one who finds this kind of behavior a little frightening and an indication of him being creepily obsessive right?
    I wrote a four word letter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •