Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: What is a lie?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,675


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    Hmm. Maybe he is worth saving after all. I know of nothing better than a Greg K gif.
    ^,^ I'll PM them to you (if gifs show in PM's) so I don't slow the connection of those that would be interested to read this silly thread.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,452


    Default

    You three are cute.

    I never thought about it that way bornlie. I guess next time I don't hang out with someone because of work, I'll also have to mention that I'll probably take a shit, urinate a couple times, have some dinner, spend a bit of time on facebook, and I might even play video games a little bit. I guess I just never considered how terrible it was to not tell my friends every little thing I foresee myself doing instead of hanging out with them. Question, if something comes up that I hadn't originally told them about, should I contact them immediately, or can I just wait and inform them later?
    I wrote a four word letter.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    129


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    Haveth we a troll here?
    so bighead can ask dumb questions and cause chaos but I can't post a serous question?

    I am not calling anyone out here, I am just asking how you guys view lying and deception.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    129


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    *sigh* Why do you insist on dragging personal drama here on the forum where it doesn't belong?
    Preempting your response to that: just because you didn't mention my name doesn't mean it's any less personal drama.
    Also, you can't contort the definition of a word to fit what you want it to mean; the meanings of words aren't opinions. That's like a religious person saying that praying for good health is medicine. In addition to that, you also can't twist the implications of others to fit your desires when what you want it to mean wasn't actually said or made clear.
    Also, it's not the end of the world tonight. Other nights exist.
    *goes to read chemistry chapter 8 and occasionally tweet*

    Exactly, you can't contort the definitions of words. Some individuals do contort the definitions of words. They may not mean to but they do. My conclusion is that we all have definitions of certain words, some of us even have definitions that shift, while others stick to a more strict adherence to meanings. I personally stick to a more strict definition when it comes to stuff like honestly, truth, lying, justice, and so forth. This is why I do not like politics, politicians lie and they never admit it, or even realize they are lying. I think Obama is a liar while other people do not. They change their opinions when in a position of trust, and when in a position of trust people should be careful in constantly changing what they say and mean. Politicians also sometimes forget what they said and later on their words come across to lies as others. I do not contort or twist anything, I tell it like it is.

    Also i brought this here because I think it is a fascinating subject. I also think that having the subject here allows you and others to see it when you otherwise wouldn't have even given it a chance.
    Last edited by bornlie; 11-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,135


    Default

    I think that your first post is extremely judgmental.

    If someone feels too busy to go to a concert and spend an entire night not studying, and then finds it hard and procrastinates it is not your business at all.

    You can't judge people on how they want to use their time. And it's definitely not a lie if the person who said she was busy actually felt busy when she told you.


    I've done this a thousand times, tell my friends I couldn't go out because I needed to study. And then waste my night watching South Park. But I've always been honest when I said I wanted to study.

    You must have a military discipline to consider this a lie.

    Edit : Also, like Webdudette said.
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 11-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    People's Republic of Cork
    Posts
    1,910


    Default

    If I got a euro everytime I told someone I couldn't hang out because I was doing my thesis, when in actual fact I ended up watching some program I didn't even like or sitting on my bed panicking about said thesis, I'd....no, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have at least €20.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    4,717


    Default

    Can't be bothered reading past the first few posts. bornlie, stop bringing your personal stuff with MK to the bbs, por favor. 1) It's none of our business, 2) it's incredibly dickish, and 3) you two are just going to make up in five minutes anyway. I guess we wouldn't have known it was about her if she hadn't said so, but still...it's between you and her.

    Furthermore, she's right and you're wrong.
    My myoosik:

    The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    129


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I think that your first post is extremely judgmental.

    If someone feels too busy to go to a concert and spend an entire night not studying, and then finds it hard and procrastinates it is not your business at all.

    You can't judge people on how they want to use their time. And it's definitely not a lie if the person who said she was busy actually felt busy when she told you.


    I've done this a thousand times, tell my friends I couldn't go out because I needed to study. And then waste my night watching South Park. But I've always been honest when I said I wanted to study.

    You must have a military discipline to consider this a lie.

    Edit : Also, like Webdudette said.
    why not just say "Oh yeah I can spare a little time today"? Wouldn't that make things a lot easier. If you know you are not someone who is dedicated to doing homework or writing your paper and will end up wasting time anyways why not have fun and waste time? No one is judging anyone here, I am just saying I happen to see the "truth" and "lying" in a certain way and I am asking how you see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    If I got a euro everytime I told someone I couldn't hang out because I was doing my thesis, when in actual fact I ended up watching some program I didn't even like or sitting on my bed panicking about said thesis, I'd....no, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have at least €20.
    What's the point though? Why not plan things out. Have more disciple and do your work in the time you put aside? Yeah, I may be pretty OCD when it comes to stuff like time, planning and the meaning of "lying" but hey I get stuff done and have fun instead of wasting my time panicking about a thesis. Why panic about something when you can be doing. In fact, I would probably put aside 20 minutes in my day just for forum posting, facebook and twitter, so I can know how my day will be, how much time I will have for homework. It is all about deadlines, and making time for fun, not fun making time for you. I believe this ties into what I said before with lying. My OCD gives me that strict, "military" sense of honor, time, and other sense of definitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Can't be bothered reading past the first few posts. bornlie, stop bringing your personal stuff with MK to the bbs, por favor. 1) It's none of our business, 2) it's incredibly dickish, and 3) you two are just going to make up in five minutes anyway. I guess we wouldn't have known it was about her if she hadn't said so, but still...it's between you and her.

    Furthermore, she's right and you're wrong.
    If you can't be bothered to read the entire thread then why bother posting? This is not personal, it is more like a survey of philosophical rhetoric.You have seen her in other threads, for instance the thread where she was arguing with webdudete about Bra's. She can be hasty and does not always adhere to logic and reason(I apologize to those I jumped on in that thread). I just want to have an intellectual conversation here about what you believe constitute's a lie, that's all, nothing else.
    Last edited by bornlie; 11-27-2012 at 10:45 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    943


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Can't be bothered reading past the first few posts. bornlie, stop bringing your personal stuff with MK to the bbs, por favor. 1) It's none of our business, 2) it's incredibly dickish, and 3) you two are just going to make up in five minutes anyway. I guess we wouldn't have known it was about her if she hadn't said so, but still...it's between you and her.

    Furthermore, she's right and you're wrong.
    Ouch. Poor Bornlie, he just got the M72 LAW laid down on him. Ka-boom.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,135


    Default

    Because not everyone works that way. I know That i need the procrastination to be efficient (you could also say That i need last minute panic...) and to answer your question, if i go out when i have to work, i will simply feel tensed and guilty and will not enjoy it.
    I think you might actually be an exception here because most people i know acted exactly like me when they were students... And i maintain That it has absolutely nothing to do with lying.
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •