Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: TELL ME THE TRUTH: Whatīs going on with the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Greekoldfan View Post
    I don't want to write a lot about their management and their record company but I'm happy that the contract with columbia is finished.My personal opinion is that they didnt make a good job with the band after co1.look what warner did with green day... their merchadise,their promotion.they made top hits songs that weren't good enough! and how many of us and other people who aren't fans of the offspring saying about underestimated songs and band... even epitaph put out vinyls on different colors or special combinations ... when rafrag tour started and they played in greece for the first time (july!) they just had only 2 or 3 new t-shirts to sell by then...
    Wasn't the Greece show a festival? Bands can't sell all their t-shirt styles at a festival. They're limited to a couple of styles and that's it.

The comparison to Green Day is pretty pointless. Green Day fans are 10-14. Offspring fans are much older.

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    I think dividing by zero by itself would have done very good just like your gonna go far kid did
    But that's the thing, just because you like a song doesn't mean radio will. What's doing well at radio now is way different from what was doing well when YGGFK did well.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Wasn't the Greece show a festival? Bands can't sell all their t-shirt styles at a festival. They're limited to a couple of styles and that's it.

The comparison to Green Day is pretty pointless. Green Day fans are 10-14. Offspring fans are much older.

But that's the thing, just because you like a song doesn't mean radio will. What's doing well at radio now is way different from what was doing well when YGGFK did well.
    Green Day fans are 10-50. Offspring fans too.

Are you sure?
    Yes, I am: http://www.offspring.com/community/s...52#post1470952

The band or their management must have a couple screws loose. Several things come to mind...the single Days Go By is not a strong lead song for a new album (infact the song is pretty fkn lame); the name of the album is horrible to go with the song; the album cover looks like a record cover for some 1950's friggin band. The album overall is good, but several things have wrecked sales (mainly the first single). It is not a very good song for a punk group.

Do any of you really think that punk gets radio play? Seriously, if it didn't have a banjo in it or sound like nu-metal in the last year, radio didn't get on it.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    [...] but several things have wrecked sales (mainly the first single). It is not a very good song for a punk group.
    Agreed.
    Like I said all in all the whole album is a little too smooth for my taste, I miss some roughness and flow too (personally I would have put the songs in a different order). Sometimes if you want something to be really, really good & show all your facets you risk losing focus. But it's done and if these songs were the best they could come up with so be it.
    I do like the cover though.
    What I still don't understand is the vinyl thing. People around me are buying vinyls like crazy whereas some in the industry keep on saying that because of iTunes etc. there is no market for them ...
    Last edited by samseby; 12-11-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspringuero View Post
    Green Day fans are 10-50. Offspring fans too.
    I agree with you. and regadring the t-shirts it wasn't only the greek show.they were selling only that merchadise in all the events and web during the first months
    www.theoffspring.eu unofficial european fanclub with the most completed discography and thousands of live downloads

Isti: your pic with dex and greg is just epic

Who cares about the charts? As long as we enjoy their music, that's all that counts.

There are two stations here that play tons of old Offspring and sometimes the newer stuff. I wish those stations would've gotten hold of Furture Is Now before Days Go By, because it would've gone over a little better.
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Sefalobe_theoffspring View Post
    Hi Little_Miss 1565,
    Sorry if i cause disturbed or bother for the band and the fans. I would like to know whatīs going on with the band?. First of All, they are falling on charts. They not appears anymore and fall on sales. Second, the singles is top on rank 39#. And they donīt have tour until February. And post March?. Three, we donīt have news about the new video clip "Turning into you" directed by Bill Fishman.

For me and the rest --> "Days Go By" is a great album.

Sorry for my english

Thanks for reading this post
    I can't answer the tour questions, but here is the simple truth: The Offspring are not selling albums because they can't. Record sales drop more and more each year. That makes it difficult for anyone, but rock acts most of all. Mulit-platinum albums are almost unheard of in any genre these days, and the pop and hip-hop artists are usually the only ones who get the Gold and Platinum records. The average music listener's attention span has been sculpted and conditioned by singles and ringtones, and obtaining music cheaply or even for free has really spoiled people. No one wants to listen to an album anymore because they don't have to. No one wants to take the risk of listening to 10-14 songs, most of which they probably won't like. And people have also grown accustomed to not hearing the same artist any more than two or three times in a row, otherwise an album becomes background noise and they lose interest.
    As for the low charting… well, I guess after so many years, it's finally just time that the Offspring are starting to lose their mainstream relevancy to people. The last album had three incredibly popular singles that you couldn't get away from. This album had the one, and Turning Into You got surprisingly lukewarm reception. Unless they can write an album that has two or three more genre or career defining classics like Gotta Get Away, Come Out and Play, and Self-Esteem, then the next record may not even have one hit.
    The music industry is a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of business, and I personally thought the Days Go By album was incredibly weak compared to the rest of their catalogue. It's the first album I haven't liked since the Self-Titled. Hell, I have been a member of this forum since 2004, and the Offspring have been my favorite band for just as long, and not even I have bought that record, yet.
    Simply put, the Offspring need to make a record that is great and not just good to sustain their success. They're at the point in their career when they can no longer release a Splinter and get a Gold record cruising off of the success of Americana and Smash. They need another Americana and Smash (even though I liked Splinter, the masses thought it was just an average album).

Also, I don't know if it's this new forum format or my laptop, but I can't make paragraphs and it's extremely aggravating.