Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CreepyRealty.com

Default CreepyRealty.com

It doesn't exist yet. But it should (maybe).

My idea is to have a website that displays listings of real estate that has plummeted in value because a notably violent death occurred on that property. I think there's a good amount of people who would be willing to pay less for a property such as this, but they lack the foresight to consider this rare price-reducing factor. So, in that sense, I'm targeting an untapped market.

It's very possible that there are serious road bumps, but I think anytime you can figure out a way you might be able to target a specific group of people to sell to effectively, it's worth considering.

It would require some regular research though. I'd have to find articles or crime reports that verify that an incident did in fact occur on the property in question.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Out of curiosity, did you get this idea from that episode of the Simpsons where Marge almost sells that house to the Flanders'?

I think the problem with this idea is that the value probably doesn't actually go down nearly as much as you think.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you get this idea from that episode of the Simpsons where Marge almost sells that house to the Flanders'?

I think the problem with this idea is that the value probably doesn't actually go down nearly as much as you think.
    No, a friend wrote about living in a house where there was previously a murder-suicide on Facebook.

I definitely am not under the impression that a house value plummets by half just because someone committed suicide in it. But in notable cases in which extreme brutality occurred, I would tend to think the demand for that particular house would be much less, causing the price to drop. Even if my average listing dropped in price by an average of about 5%, it would still be a worthwhile endeavor for many people to visit my site.

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    That was the first thing to come to my mind, as well.

Truth.

Personally, I wouldn't really care if a murder had happened in a house I wanted to buy, and I doubt that many people would care. Thus, the price wouldn't go down that much. However, even if it did go down a lot, I'd be more inclined to check out a cheap house on a normal realty site, than visit a site that only posts listings for such houses.
    Last edited by Llamas; 05-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Sounds lose/lose to me.

You'd have to convince the owners you can sell their house for a better bargain than a normal realtor while convincing potential buyers you can offer them a total steal. Plus the economy isn't exactly booming and you want to deal in a relatively high capital niche market. Even in a country as large as the US I'm afraid most people can't chose houses out of novelty alone, they also have to serve a more important function (close to work, good schools etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I think there's a good amount of people who would be willing to pay less for a property
    Because usually finding people willing to pay less is difficult?

in notable cases in which extreme brutality occurred, I would tend to think the demand for that particular house would be much less
    Depends what you mean by "notable", really. If a property is infamous the value might actually go up. Generally though I agree with the others saying the value probably doesn't change as much as you might expect. And in some places they probably have laws requiring this sort of information to be known to prospective buyers anyway. Have you checked on that at all?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Depends what you mean by "notable", really. If a property is infamous the value might actually go up. Generally though I agree with the others saying the value probably doesn't change as much as you might expect. And in some places they probably have laws requiring this sort of information to be known to prospective buyers anyway. Have you checked on that at all?
    I've done only a little bit of research. I have found that there is usually a year long period where the seller must reveal that an incident occurred. I think in some cases, they don't have to reveal anything. So in many cases, the buyer will not be made aware of the incident unless he finds out via the local community.

Based on what I've read, it does seem that the prices for such houses will go down as the creepiness reduces demand, but it's not really enough of a reliable thing that you could base a business on. I would say that this is based on a) lack of knowledge of the incidents by potential buyers b)the nature of the death isn't usually disturbing enough to creep out a significant amount of people. It usually has to be some seriously fucked up shit.

FYI: Houses with really infamous murders, like John Wayne Gacy's house, are often torn down completely. Personally, I find it particularly creepy if a dead body was actually stored in a given location.
    Last edited by bighead384; 05-28-2013 at 06:38 AM.

You'd probably do better concentrating on drug and gang activity instead of serial killings and the like. Once in a while some lazy, stupid gangsters will park outside a house and put a few hundred rounds of ammo into it. Occasionally, the person they're hoping to hit has already moved out and some clueless innocent is living there instead. Even though it's less likely to happen to you than being struck by lightning, it's still a more valid concern than 'vague creepiness' and 'murdered ghosts'.

If you kept track of police asset forfeitures and ran a website warning people which rental properties were previously occupied by known gang members or professional criminals, it could get moderately popular. If it got moderately popular, real estate companies and landlords might pay a little something to have their properties removed from your site.

Maybe we're being too hard on bighead. It sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing. I mean, first there's this:

I've done only a little bit of research.
    Then there's this piece of solid fact:
    I think in some cases, they don't have to reveal anything.
    So in many cases, the buyer will not be made aware of the incident unless he finds out via the local community.
    Bighead knows his shit and should definitely invest in this venture. Borrow some money from the folks and get'r goin'! BTY, though, if you're dealing with places that had violent crime, aren't you afraid of dealing with a lot of, ahem, colored folk?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Maybe we're being too hard on bighead. It sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing. I mean, first there's this:

Then there's this piece of solid fact:

Bighead knows his shit and should definitely invest in this venture. Borrow some money from the folks and get'r goin'! BTY, though, if you're dealing with places that had violent crime, aren't you afraid of dealing with a lot of, ahem, colored folk?
    This is a ridiculous post. I didn't even notice there was any kind of tension until you just claimed there was. I don't think my language was even in the ballpark of someone being boastful about expertise. "Weird" is also another word I'd use to describe what you're attempting here.