Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the song that got you into offspring?

Hybrid View

Default What was the song that got you into offspring?

For me it was seeing the video for "All I Want" way back in 96. Fuckin ace song and video.

How bout you?

I randomly heard "Why Don't You Get A Job?" in 1998 when I was 11 on the local radio station, Y100 (now bought out by a hip-hop station.) I thought the melody was really catchy and it had interesting lyrics. From then on, I listened for more of their songs on the radio and eventually looked them up on the internet, fell in love and saw them in concert.
    However, I first heard them in 1994 when I was 7 and heard "Self Esteem," which I didn't really care for at the time, and "Come Out and Play." I really liked the crunchy guitars and the arabian-style riff. But I was too young at that time to realize the same band made both songs and that I could actually get CD's of the band that made those songs.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I randomly heard "Why Don't You Get A Job?" in 1998 when I was 11 on the local radio station, Y100 (now bought out by a hip-hop station.) I thought the melody was really catchy and it had interesting lyrics. From then on, I listened for more of their songs on the radio and eventually looked them up on the internet, fell in love and saw them in concert.
    However, I first heard them in 1994 when I was 7 and heard "Self Esteem," which I didn't really care for at the time, and "Come Out and Play." I really liked the crunchy guitars and the arabian-style riff. But I was too young at that time to realize the same band made both songs and that I could actually get CD's of the band that made those songs.
    aww so cute

My brother listened to pretty fly a lot. I liked the song, so I asked for an Offspring album for Christmas.

Conspiracy of One is a good gift for a 6-year-old, right?
    Your back's to the wall, that's protocol;
    It's sequestering your spirit, misleading us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles

Quote Originally Posted by BagOfShenanigans View Post
    My brother listened to pretty fly a lot. I liked the song, so I asked for an Offspring album for Christmas.

Conspiracy of One is a good gift for a 6-year-old, right?
    Can't be better.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

I believe I was 11 years old, I don't remember what I was doing but I saw the video for Why Don't You Get A Job somewhere on the internet and fell in love with the sound. I started looking them up after that discovered Americana, and asked for it for X-Mas, which became the first CD I ever owned and I played that thing constantly. I would end up buying Smash, Ixnay and then around that time Conspiracy of One came out, to which I bought and saw them first the first time and was also my first concert experience ever, I must have been 13 then? It was in 2000 and I was born in 1987. That's when I started getting hardcore into them, I got Ignition, Self-Titled. They've been my favorite been ever since. Splinter was a let down, but Rise and Fall was a nice comeback. Days Go By was great. I'm happy to have been an Offspring fan and happy that they got me into music, because before them all I cared for was movies. Now I have both. I've also expanded my musical taste, not only do I love punk rock in general (any kind; fast, hardcore, heavy, horror, pop) but I listen anything that sounds good, like oldies from the 60's, techno, or whatever. As long as it's not rap/hip hop or country!

I'm not a trendy asshole
    I do what I want
    I do what I feel like
    I'm not a trendy asshole
    Don't give a fuck
    If it's good enough for you

The song that really got me hooked was Gone Away, even though I knew All I Want, Way Down The Line, and Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) before I heard of Gone Away. But Gone Away is, and always will be my favorite song, always. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by IxnayOnTheSombre View Post
    For me it was seeing the video for "All I Want" way back in 96. Fuckin ace song and video.

How bout you?
    All I want in 96 could only have been if you went to a handfull of European festivals like the bizarre festival.. otherwise it was 97...

For me it was self esteem march 1995

The first Offspring song that I started to like a lot was WDYGAJ. It was in '99, I was 10

it was Gotta Get Away video in 1995 on MTV Brasil(where I used to live) even though by the time I've bought Smash I realized I knew the previous singles already (probably wasnt the only one who thought Self Esteem was a Nirvana song)