Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was the song that got you into offspring?

Default What was the song that got you into offspring?

For me it was seeing the video for "All I Want" way back in 96. Fuckin ace song and video.

How bout you?

I randomly heard "Why Don't You Get A Job?" in 1998 when I was 11 on the local radio station, Y100 (now bought out by a hip-hop station.) I thought the melody was really catchy and it had interesting lyrics. From then on, I listened for more of their songs on the radio and eventually looked them up on the internet, fell in love and saw them in concert.
    However, I first heard them in 1994 when I was 7 and heard "Self Esteem," which I didn't really care for at the time, and "Come Out and Play." I really liked the crunchy guitars and the arabian-style riff. But I was too young at that time to realize the same band made both songs and that I could actually get CD's of the band that made those songs.
    I said, "Hi, I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete took of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    Full version of my avatar: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps9ddf577a.jpg
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I randomly heard "Why Don't You Get A Job?" in 1998 when I was 11 on the local radio station, Y100 (now bought out by a hip-hop station.) I thought the melody was really catchy and it had interesting lyrics. From then on, I listened for more of their songs on the radio and eventually looked them up on the internet, fell in love and saw them in concert.
    However, I first heard them in 1994 when I was 7 and heard "Self Esteem," which I didn't really care for at the time, and "Come Out and Play." I really liked the crunchy guitars and the arabian-style riff. But I was too young at that time to realize the same band made both songs and that I could actually get CD's of the band that made those songs.
    aww so cute

My brother listened to pretty fly a lot. I liked the song, so I asked for an Offspring album for Christmas.

Conspiracy of One is a good gift for a 6-year-old, right?
    Your back's to the wall, that's protocol;
    It's sequestering your spirit, misleading us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles

Quote Originally Posted by BagOfShenanigans View Post
    My brother listened to pretty fly a lot. I liked the song, so I asked for an Offspring album for Christmas.

Conspiracy of One is a good gift for a 6-year-old, right?
    Can't be better.
    I said, "Hi, I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete took of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    Full version of my avatar: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps9ddf577a.jpg
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

I believe I was 11 years old, I don't remember what I was doing but I saw the video for Why Don't You Get A Job somewhere on the internet and fell in love with the sound. I started looking them up after that discovered Americana, and asked for it for X-Mas, which became the first CD I ever owned and I played that thing constantly. I would end up buying Smash, Ixnay and then around that time Conspiracy of One came out, to which I bought and saw them first the first time and was also my first concert experience ever, I must have been 13 then? It was in 2000 and I was born in 1987. That's when I started getting hardcore into them, I got Ignition, Self-Titled. They've been my favorite been ever since. Splinter was a let down, but Rise and Fall was a nice comeback. Days Go By was great. I'm happy to have been an Offspring fan and happy that they got me into music, because before them all I cared for was movies. Now I have both. I've also expanded my musical taste, not only do I love punk rock in general (any kind; fast, hardcore, heavy, horror, pop) but I listen anything that sounds good, like oldies from the 60's, techno, or whatever. As long as it's not rap/hip hop or country!

I'm not a trendy asshole
    I do what I want
    I do what I feel like
    I'm not a trendy asshole
    Don't give a fuck
    If it's good enough for you

Talking Long story short

By 1998, the kids aren't alright music video got me hooked on them. The rest Is history. I love the offspring for ever life.

Pretty Fly started it all and then I fell in deep love with TKAA and the video for it. I sat in front of the tv for hours and just waited for the video to be played so I could record it over and over again on the same VHS. I went on to become a huge fan and I bought every damn Offspring merch I could find.

I remember the day when I finally was able to buy the Ignition cd in my local music store (which now is long gone of course). My friend David wasn't too impressed with this band so I decided to win him over by introducing him to Forever And A Day, a song that I just LOOOVED (and still do). After the song had faded out he just said something like "ehh ok" and that made me wanna smash his stupid little face in but since we were at his house I decided not to.

It'll Be A Long Time, 2008.

I knew The Offspring with Why Don't You Get A Job? in 1999 when I was 11.
    I decided to search some more songs from them when Want You Bad was new (I already loved WDYGAJ, SGI, TKAA, OP and I didn't know nothing about Pretty Fly or Self Esteem or All I Want etc etc).
    I became a fan when Defy You came out.