Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How prone are you to making grammatical errors?

Default How prone are you to making grammatical errors?

I constantly make grammatical errors, especially on my first 'draft' or attempt. And then of course, there's also typos, which is kind of a different subject. I'll still mess up the most basic shit, like "to" and "too". Furthermore, there's some "problem words" for me that I always have trouble spelling. If you think about it, it's ridiculous to have problems spelling a certain words over and over again, because you'd think all you need to do is look it up once. Or just look at it after spell check corrects it. Anyway, I've always been kind of curious what it's like for other people.
    Last edited by bighead384; 12-07-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

To be honest, I rarely make any grammatical errors and I notice them when anyone else makes them, though I'm prone to spelling equation as "equasion" when typing quickly. I initially make a few typos because my fingers are always cold and due to the elbow and wrist issues I have. But I proofread before I post. Anyone else OCD over perfect grammar?

On a side note, Noodles has excellent grammar and punctuation skills. I think I've only spotted 2 or 3 errors/typos in all the tweets of his that I've read.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

I try not to make any and proofread too but well shit happens ...
    But what really gives me a hard time sometimes is whenever I write something in English to make it sound "natural" ... German grammar and the structure of sentences are quite different from the English and I hate it when what I write doesn't sound correct and fluent.

I am such a horrible speller. If I'm having problems spelling a word I'll try spelling it out in sign language first, then if I still can't get it I'll try writting it out and if it still looks wrong to me I'll use spell check or I'll ask someone.

Quote Originally Posted by samseby View Post
    I try not to make any and proofread too but well shit happens ...
    But what really gives me a hard time sometimes is whenever I write something in English to make it sound "natural" ... German grammar and the structure of sentences are quite different from the English and I hate it when what I write doesn't sound correct and fluent.
    Yeah, English and German grammar are different. They seem to be based on the same idea but have gone their own ways and changed. Knowing the correct infinitives, proper word order and knowing where commas go in sentences was always an issue for me in German class. However, we were not expected to get that correctly with only German I and German II available in my college. I'd like to get back to practicing it, but I don't know anyone who knows it to see if I am doing it correctly.
    By the way, what you wrote now sounds pretty natural to me. ^,^
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 12-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

I think I'm pretty confident in my grammatical skills.

I remember recently looking at my 1st year college essays and being appalled at the quality of the writing (compared to it now. I know I have better grammar than some of my friends; you'd swear some of them were twelve by the way they write.

I'm sure I still make mistakes if I'm not concentrating. And I'm sure there are those sentences that, although sounding right, are grammatically incorrect. A lot of those things are down to preferences though, I think. Different systems for American and British Universities.

What really threw me off was the use of an apostrophe for, say, Thomas. I was told that instead of "Thomas' car", it should be "Thomas's car", after years of being taught the former (although the former applies for ancient historical figures). I know this is a preference, rather than a rule, so I'm never sure what to do in this case.

Every single post so far in this thread has at least one grammatical error I could point out. :P I've been teaching English as a foreign language to adults and teenagers in Europe for over three years, though, and thus have better grammar than nearly everyone* I know.

*The only people I know who've got better grammar than I do are non-native speakers who've finished master's degrees or PhDs in English pedagogy. Native speakers almost always have worse grammar than non-natives with such education, which seems a bit counterintuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I never make grammatical error.

Grammar errors?
    Never.
    Spelling mistakkes? Maybe....
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

I'm prone to making the same grammatical and spelling mistakes over and over. It is avoidable and I usually notice them when I read what I have written, but they still happen. I tend to combine "every time" into one word. Llamas has pointed it out more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.